• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Or the monster of Ashton

I've been to Jerry's house and have seen the set-up for the repeaters he has there. The only guy I know of that bought a house and then installed not one, but two 190 foot commercial cell towers. One for all of the repeaters he and the group runs, and another for the cell carriers to put equipment on and pay him for.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Baofeng Radio Intro & Programming Class

Gentleman. I'm really sorry that the video post has been delayed for so long. The problem was some poor planning and timing on my part. I really got slammed with work problems before Christmas partially due to a few of my staff being exposed to and one infected with COVID. Then getting ready for the Christmas took priority.

Finally when I had some time earlier this week to start working on the video. I really had two goals and one was to correct some errors or expand on some information in the presentation after I received some more knowledgeable feedback from a K31 and making sure that I didn't accidently include any of the class attendees personal information or unexpected video of participants. When I downloaded the video it was almost 2hrs long and recorded at HD quality. I also realized that none of my second camera demonstrations of showing how to operate or manually program the HT's were recorded correctly. My PowerPoint screen and voice was recorded, but not the video feed from my second camera. That's a bummer and I'll need to redo those in order to be really helpful. I discovered that trying to scrub, edit and prepare 2hrs worth of video was way more resource dependent than my laptop would easily handle. So it's taking even longer to break this down and almost impossible for me to edit with the video editing software I have.

However, that being said, the CHRIP programming part of the lesson which is about 45 minutes long, and to some degree the most important part looks really good. I've been able to extract that part of the video by itself and have already uploaded it to YouTube.

Intro to Baofeng Programming - Part 4 CHRIP

https://youtu.be/GB568r_fuh8

It's taking a while to upload and process so you may need to give it an hr or so before the link works. This link is sharable to anyone who has the link. You can still access the shared presentation file in the class folder and use it along with the video. I hope you find it useful.

I will try to get parts 1,2 and 3 of the video scrubbed and uploaded to YouTube but it will take even longer. For those who did not attend the class, while those parts were useful they were really a lot of introductory info leading up the the CHRIP programming part. The main reason I want to share it is because you can still program your radio in a way that could violate the law if you don't know what frequencies you are legally able to transmit on.

Last edited:

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    We appreciate all that you put into this. Thank you!

On a different note, I had a good signal from the ISS repeater this morning with an omni-directional antenna. The clouds blocked what would have been a good view. Unrelated to ham, I also got a view of a view of a Starlink train in some small gaps in the clouds before that.

I'm waiting for some parts to build a yagi antenna out out of a tape measure. This is more for the fun of building it than anything else, but should work well if I get the measurements right.

When I get a better radio, I'll probably get the Arrow II antenna.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Not much more satisfying that building a little 2m yagi. They are simple and the performance increase is tremendous - especially if you can't mount it up at the top of the roof.

I foresee an antenna farm in your future! Years ago I used to be interested in VHF rover contesting - Never built one up, but always wanted to do some mountaintop contesting.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Gentleman. I'm really sorry that the video post has been delayed for so long. The problem was some poor planning and timing on my part. I really got slammed with work problems before Christmas partially due to a few of my staff being exposed to and one infected with COVID. Then getting ready for the Christmas took priority.

Finally when I had some time earlier this week to start working on the video. I really had two goals and one was to correct some errors or expand on some information in the presentation after I received some more knowledgeable feedback from a K31 and making sure that I didn't accidently include any of the class attendees personal information or unexpected video of participants. When I downloaded the video it was almost 2hrs long and recorded at HD quality. I also realized that none of my second camera demonstrations of showing how to operate or manually program the HT's were recorded correctly. My PowerPoint screen and voice was recorded, but not the video feed from my second camera. That's a bummer and I'll need to redo those in order to be really helpful. I discovered that trying to scrub, edit and prepare 2hrs worth of video was way more resource dependent than my laptop would easily handle. So it's taking even longer to break this down and almost impossible for me to edit with the video editing software I have.

However, that being said, the CHRIP programming part of the lesson which is about 45 minutes long, and to some degree the most important part looks really good. I've been able to extract that part of the video by itself and have already uploaded it to YouTube.

Intro to Baofeng Programming - Part 4 CHRIP

https://youtu.be/GB568r_fuh8

It's taking a while to upload and process so you may need to give it an hr or so before the link works. This link is sharable to anyone who has the link. You can still access the shared presentation file in the class folder and use it along with the video. I hope you find it useful.

I will try to get parts 1,2 and 3 of the video scrubbed and uploaded to YouTube but it will take even longer. For those who did not attend the class, while those parts were useful they were really a lot of introductory info leading up the the CHRIP programming part. The main reason I want to share it is because you can still program your radio in a way that could violate the law if you don't know what frequencies you are legally able to transmit on.

Thank you! I can't wait to watch it!! (youtube is blocked at work LOL)

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Not much more satisfying that building a little 2m yagi. They are simple and the performance increase is tremendous - especially if you can't mount it up at the top of the roof.

I foresee an antenna farm in your future! Years ago I used to be interested in VHF rover contesting - Never built one up, but always wanted to do some mountaintop contesting.

I can see it. My wife was thrilled when we took down our old-school tv antenna over the summer, so she may not be thrilled. Little does she know....<insert sinister laugh here>

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    To everyone who has been waiting for a link to the presentation and the CHIRP Programming Video. I apologize for the delay. As I mentioned before after the class I really had some very busy work and family obligations. January has been a pretty crappy business month as well. However I'm on COVID Quarantine right now so I'm trying to finish up some loose ends while I have some truly uninterrupted time. Also I wanted to thank K31 for providing me with some corrections, suggestions and changes to the printed presentation. I needed some time to go back and make a few minor edits. That's done now.

So here is the link to the presentation.

Here is the link to the Chirp programming video. https://youtu.be/GB568r_fuh8

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    To everyone who has been waiting for a link to the presentation and the CHIRP Programming Video. I apologize for the delay. As I mentioned before after the class I really had some very busy work and family obligations. January has been a pretty crappy business month as well. However I'm on COVID Quarantine right now so I'm trying to finish up some loose ends while I have some truly uninterrupted time. Also I wanted to thank K31 for providing me with some corrections, suggestions and changes to the printed presentation. I needed some time to go back and make a few minor edits. That's done now.

So here is the link to the presentation.

Here is the link to the Chirp programming video. https://youtu.be/GB568r_fuh8

I’m one of the ones who missed the original thread. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    Got my Technician ticket today!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    For those thinking of getting a license, do it ASAP. If you get it soon and schedule the exam with Laurel VEC (https://www.laurelvec.com/?team=BVET), it is 100% free. Laurel does it only once a month.

Most VE's (Volunteer Examiners) charge $10-$20 to cover testing supplies and at some still unknown date, the FCC will charge $35 for the license and for any changes other than an address change.

The license is still good for ten years, so it's not bad, but any changes like getting a vanity call sign, upgrading to general and/or amateur extra, and renewals will be another $35. I just got my vanity because my assigned callsign was a mouthful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom