• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Brickman, my daughter used one of our lee REALs in 240 grain over a felt wad on 80 grains 777 and the bullet stopped inside. I am assuming the soft lead mushrooms out fast. She pulled the shot and hit more liver than lungs, so I am assuming it caused more friction. I too would liked to have recovered the bullet but had the flu and she wouldn't dig for it.

I’ve heard of others using a felt wad also. I’m going to try it myself, now that the season is over. Hopefully it allows me to shoot a heavier powder charge.

The doe I shot was facing down a steep slope. The bullet went though the shoulder bone, though the heart, and came out right behind the opposite shoulder. It definitely penetrates well, but I wonder how much it expanded.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    The doe I shot was facing down a steep slope. The bullet went though the shoulder bone, though the heart, and came out right behind the opposite shoulder. It definitely penetrates well, but I wonder how much it expanded.

Generally speaking,the slower a bullet is going,it will penetrate deeper and expand less.

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    Looks like rain this week rather than the little bit of snow that I was hoping for to help with last minute scouting mid-week since I haven't been out for a month and change... Empty freezer and hoping to get something done on Friday/Saturday.

On the bright side, I'll be sighting in new 350 legend and getting that out in the field... Hope to christen it on its first season.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Heading out tomorrow, so far coming up dry, lots of sign jumped up several grass too tall to take a shot. I guess I need to pack 2 horse shoes. For 5 bucks and getting out in the woods my fun meter is pegged regardless of freezer status.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    And applying for doe permits. Growing up hunting Carroll County, you had a better chance winning the Lotto than drawing an antlerless permit.

Back in late 70’s to early 80’s we used to tell stories of actually seeing deer, where now our stories are of killing deer, or missing deer, or passing up shooting subpar deer. How things have changed.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I wonder how many hunters in 1970 compared to today? Opening day was like a Christmas holiday back then. I took leave every year I could.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    And applying for doe permits. Growing up hunting Carroll County, you had a better chance winning the Lotto than drawing an antlerless permit.

Back in late 70’s to early 80’s we used to tell stories of actually seeing deer, where now our stories are of killing deer, or missing deer, or passing up shooting subpar deer. How things have changed.

First deer I killed was a 4 pointer that I bow shot. It may have been the biggest bow kill buck in the county that year that was checked in.
    I used a Jennings T-star hunter bracket bow that needed drilled and tapped by the user if you wanted sights.

Tonight, I went out and checked a field I'm going to hunt this weekend. I seen three 15" bucks that were all half racked already.
    If I see them again, I probably wont shoot unless I see another with both sides on it and it has size to it.

Fat dumb and happy I guess you could call it. It's a far cry from having to dye your own camo pants from khakis if you wanted to blend in like a pro from a FFG back page ad.

Just seeing a deer was a big thing for sure.
    Hardly a stitch of ground around my way anymore that's not being hunted, deer all over the place it seems like though.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I wonder how many hunters in 1970 compared to today? Opening day was like a Christmas holiday back then. I took leave every year I could.

I think there was more hunters then, but more small game hunters. Deer were harder to come by and see. I remember seeing deer as a kid in the late 70's in the woods and they were rare enough the family thought I was kidding.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I love hearing stories from you guys about the years past. I grew up hunting in PA and while I'm relatively young at 34, I had a Great Uncle who pass a handful of years ago at the age of 83. It was his Christmas Tree farm that I grew up hunting that got me hooked. I used to go over and groundhog hunt during the summer, not so much to kill groundhogs, but I'd spend hours just sitting and chatting with him. We would always chat about hunting stuff and he always had an old story or 2 every time. One of the stories that really sticks out to me is he said when he 1st bought the farm in 1963 there was hardly any deer. Thru the years deer numbers grew and got to the point there was an over abundance of them. Than PA changed some laws (Combined buck and doe season, no antler restrictions, this lasted for 3-4? years) but during those years the deer population was darn near wiped out in some areas. He's like I seen things make a full circle. Fortunately he was able to harvest a buck in his last hunting season. I'm mindful about how many deer I harvest out of an area a year because I know what could possibly happen, just hoping that Maryland doesn't made a full circle anytime soon.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Anyone getting out for late rifle this weekend? Good luck, going out looking for my Jerky/Bologna friend.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md

I somehow drew a Carroll Co doe permit the second year they gave them out.I shot a nice size doe.It was the second deer I ever shot and was very happy and proud. That is until I got to the check station and everyone there gave me hell for shooting a doe.:sad20:

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    They used to open up assigned spots at Ft Mead for deer hunting in the 60's, even there they were FEW and far between. I don't think I know anyone that ever got one.

Dorchester was the place to go, at least they had a sizeable population even back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom