• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Did you not snug the lids on the pea soup? They are not to be too tight (break) or too loose (Leak out). I have stained water sometimes where is pushes small stuff out, but nothing like that yet.

I also prefer regular mouth in the pressure caner and the wides in the water bath. Regular fits better in the pressure caner for a 2 hour cycle. Water bath cycles are quick so no care if two less jars fit in the pot. I got the AA915 and 10 regular mouths pints fit in it but only 7 or 8 wide mouth pints.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m pretty well convinced that the split pea soup erupted out of the jars because there was too little water in the canner, and it went just about dry. Thankfully it did no damage to the canner. The jars were “finger tight”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I’m seeing lids come back in stock in stores. Of course no one needs them much now but now is the time to grab them. I expect another canning frenzy in 2021.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I've been saving the 24 oz. (1.5 pint) jars that Classico pasta sauce comes in. They're marked Atlas Mason and take a regular mouth canning lid.

This is a very convenient size for us for pasta sauce. Haven't found canning recipes for 1.5 pint jars, but figured I'd just use the quart jar processing time for homemade pasta sauce since it doesn't matter if it's overproccesed; we usually simmer it for an hour or so on the stove anyway.

I agree with earlier poster that more stuff should come in reusable jars.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Growler, I was going to do that since I like the classico sauce anyway. I was warned that the jars are not real atlas mason jars and are thinner walled. I do not know if it is true since I have no atlas jars for comparison. May be baloney but it came from friends who can a lot of their own stuff. If I try it, I will do a small batch and use a good that is cheap.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Growler, I was going to do that since I like the classico sauce anyway. I was warned that the jars are not real atlas mason jars and are thinner walled. I do not know if it is true since I have no atlas jars for comparison. May be baloney but it came from friends who can a lot of their own stuff. If I try it, I will do a small batch and use a good that is cheap.

I heard that many years ago about 1 quart mayo jars (which were glass instead of plastic back when I was a kid.) My mom used them for canning anyway and never had any problems.

I appreciate the warning though. Heck, Mom may have been water bath canning peaches and pears in those mayo jars. It was over 40 years ago so details are a bit fuzzy. Have to ask her next time I call. She may still have some of them in her canning rotation.

I had never heard of Atlas Mason until I bought the Classico pasta sauce. We always used Kerr or Ball Mason (or scrounged mayo) jars when I was a kid.They seem pretty sturdy to me, though, and they've been successfully pressure canned at least once,. But I will follow your lead and won't put up my whole tomato harvest in them the first year.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I heard that many years ago about 1 quart mayo jars (which were glass instead of plastic back when I was a kid.) My mom used them for canning anyway and never had any problems.

I appreciate the warning though. Heck, Mom may have been water bath canning peaches and pears in those mayo jars. It was over 40 years ago so details are a bit fuzzy. Have to ask her next time I call. She may still have some of them in her canning rotation.

I had never heard of Atlas Mason until I bought the Classico pasta sauce. We always used Kerr or Ball Mason (or scrounged mayo) jars when I was a kid.They seem pretty sturdy to me, though, and they've been successfully pressure canned at least once,. But I will follow your lead and won't put up my whole tomato harvest in them the first year.

My friend up in pa water bath cans. I may see about trying them in that now that you bring it up. The warning I received was specifically about pressure canning. May be a wives tale but I haven't had the guts to test it.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I will try them with pressure canning homemade spaghetti sauce next year if the tomato harvest is good. Although mom used to water bath can tomatoes, I dont think that is recommended for tomatoes anymore

I'm pretty sure Classico sauce is pressure canned since one of their sauce varieties has Italian sausage.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Not sure how industrial process compares to home canning. Interesting to test. Like reusing liquor store beer bottles instead of getting the reusable ones from the brew store.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I know in industrial they do a lot of vacuum cooking because it is done at lower temps, using less fuel making it cheaper. I know they cook cans at 250 for 10 minutes to sterilize them for vegetables. Some products they cook the product and maintain 190 into the cans/jars which is how spaghetti sauce is done. So they might not be subjected tot he same pressures commercially as in residential with a pressure cooker.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Not sure how industrial process compares to home canning. Interesting to test. Like reusing liquor store beer bottles instead of getting the reusable ones from the brew store.

I got a home brewing kit as a gift a couple of years ago but haven't tried it out yet. It came with a bottle capper but I think I'd want to try brown swing top bottles instead.

And I dont think my better half would be too keen on my saving beer bottles. Sounds like an episode of Horders in the making....

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I got a home brewing kit as a gift a couple of years ago but haven't tried it out yet. It came with a bottle capper but I think I'd want to try brown swing top bottles instead.

And I dont think my better half would be too keen on my saving beer bottles. Sounds like an episode of Horders in the making....

Cola kegs are the only way to go....

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Does anyone know of a brand/type of plastic crate, like a milk crate but not as tall that would hold quart jars nicely? Stackable would be preferred. Something with individual slots for each jar would be nice.

I have seen those but I am holding out for something more like a crate.
    Thanks though.

Reading MDS causes me to spend money. After seeing those JarBoxes I had to order some, so thanks wilcam47! I bought 4 of them from an Amazon seller. They arrived today and I’m very pleased so far. They bring order to what was chaos, and let me stack jars as high as my shelving will allow. They also have a little extra space in each partition to accommodate pint jars of any shape. 12 jars per JarBox is a good bit of weight and the plastic is sufficiently robust. The tops and bottoms appear to be interchangeable, and they snap together and separate very easily. (Though it occurs to me now that I could leave the lid off of the one on top for easier access.) Three are already full, with one in reserve. I don’t prefer to use quart jars and only have a few of them full, but I can see getting some JarBoxes for them too.

75e2a85a02f9ce9ea75f9d85c4ba1e8e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are back in stock. After initially turning my nose up to these I got 3 of the pint size jarbox containers last season. They are awesome. By the time I realized this and wanted to order more they were sold out and jacked up to 65-75$ a piece on Amazon and Ebay. They are available again at normal prices. I ordered 6 of the quart size and 3 more of the pint.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07