• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I am starting to stay sharp with pellets, burning up pellets and CO2. 1250 pellets, $14!!

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    There is no real answer to that question IMHO .

Everyone has a different need , but if you ask me a minimum i would say 1K rounds

Or 500 rounds each caliber Edit . **

^^THIS. The only reasonable answer. The rest are just opinions because that's all that there can be

Rebel59

Hater of Kings and Queens
    Apr 8, 2018
    Went fishing
    this

Attachments

• ilQFQeR.jpg
      ilQFQeR.jpg
      45.5 KB · Views: 369

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I am always looking for more. Given the fact the democrats want to limit, track, prohibit, and tax ammunition purchases, I am buying for my own future replenishment, and my kids' future stocks. As far as plinking ammo, I got hooked on the little plastic blue 7.62x51 Nato German training rounds for my Mauser and Ishapore Enfield to save the real FMJ stuff. The blue stuff has no recoil, but has a loud bark. Just got 500rds of it from SG ammo the other day, should keep me shooting for a little while.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If SHTF truly did happen, and we were hunting small/medium game for food,, that would last 1-2 weeks. There is just WAY to many people per square mile in this country to ever "Live off the land"

People will disappear faster than animals. The majority of people have no idea of how to hunt or process wild game, especially small game (ever skin a groundhog they have scent glands). In spite of all the new gun owners half the population has nothing to hunt with (and won't be welcome where game is plentiful) . Wild animals have been hiding from humans and other predators for longer than humans have been around (coyotes are living in every county in Maryland how many have you seen). The successful providers will mostly be using traps and snares which are both less common and people have less experience trapping than hunting. There will be more game available, think cats and dogs going wild when their owners die off.

I live in the country and see deer and other game every single day, some of my neighbors never see game. I have assorted live traps, some leg hold traps and as a blacksmith can make more. In my younger years I have hunted and trapped and can do it again if the need arises.

Here are some links to start people thinking:
    Mojave Scissor Survival Trap in Action (note the game he is after).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQbgxyuTm9w

Spanish Windlass Snare Survival Trap in Action.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXtSIqYN-rU

How to Make ● a Humane PVC SQUIRREL TRAP (This could get you started)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7XZ8Yr6x8g
    Update
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QoWJUEs5E0

FFG Harding Historical Books
    https://www.furfishgame.com/shop_online/ff_harding_historical_books.php
    Every prepper should have a copy of his Deadfalls and Snares book (online version)
    https://archive.org/details/deadfallssnaresb00harduoft

Maryland rules (ever read the section on trapping pg. 50-54)
    https://dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide/Pages/default.aspx

Trapping supplies (just one source of many)
    https://www.hoosiertrappersupply.com/shop.html#/

Why one needs to read the rules (like all MD laws)
    Snare Traps
    It is illegal to use, sell, possess, set, place or maintain a snare trap in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Cecil, Harford, Montgomery and Prince George’s counties.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For practice and proficiency, I am looking at getting air soft or pellet/BB.

For many firearms, they make ones that look and feel like the real thing. Less recoil though.

And the other neat thing is, you can practice in your yard or basement (depending on county and neighbors).

sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    there is never enough ammo to store especially if you plan on shooting, but at the current prices everyone should stop[ buying to send a message to retailers who are now gouging. There are some supply issues for primers and brass. But when I see thieves like cheaperthandirt asking $2/round of steel by Tula out of Russia, you know the gouging is on. Unless you have no ammo, stop buying and wait for the market to cool down a bit. The more we buy the more prices will increase because as long as people continue to buy there is no reason for retailers to drop prices.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I won't buy from gougers and mark them off my normal supply avenues. I found SPP for $80 for 500 and wouldn't buy them. Midway and Natchez sell them for $50 a 1K and this place was $160 for the same amount. I'll pass and wait for them to be in stock or everyone to settle TF down.

Plus casting bullets and reloading makes me able to make more.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I won't buy from gougers and mark them off my normal supply avenues. I found SPP for $80 for 500 and wouldn't buy them. Midway and Natchez sell them for $50 a 1K and this place was $160 for the same amount. I'll pass and wait for them to be in stock or everyone to settle TF down.

I won't support Gouging and I have a long memory for those that do especially when it's a LGS

sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    in that case even the local ranges need to be scrutinized. I live close to gilbert's and that's why I go there rather than go to a farther range where I can shoot my own ammo. I have a full year membership (around $160 I think?) and you are supposed to get a discount on ammo (20-25%???). last couple of times I felt gouged. 223 costs around $30 for 50. Considering they buy in bulk I am pretty sure they are making hand over fist. One visit cost me $200 for: 150 of 9 mm, 50 of 7.62 Tok, 100 .223. Last time I went I had to purchase a 1-week trial for my mom and then they charged me full price for one box of 9 mm ammo because she was with me, even though there was no restriction on how many boxes you could get by yourself. But then when it came to 45 acp, you are limited to 1 box per person but they refused to give me more than 1 box cuz my mom is not a member. tick tack BS if you ask me.

anyway, if we all make a concerted effort to buy less or not at all unless you have no ammo then prices will drop...slowly. It is always easier for prices or taxes to be increased than ever being decreased. Once you set a standard or expectation why would anyone go back to making / charging less money unless business is hurting.

I won't support Gouging and I have a long memory for those that do especially when it's a LGS

in that case even the local ranges need to be scrutinized. I live close to gilbert's and that's why I go there rather than go to a farther range where I can shoot my own ammo. I have a full year membership (around $160 I think?) and you are supposed to get a discount on ammo (20-25%???). last couple of times I felt gouged. 223 costs around $30 for 50. Considering they buy in bulk I am pretty sure they are making hand over fist. One visit cost me $200 for: 150 of 9 mm, 50 of 7.62 Tok, 100 .223. Last time I went I had to purchase a 1-week trial for my mom and then they charged me full price for one box of 9 mm ammo because she was with me, even though there was no restriction on how many boxes you could get by yourself. But then when it came to 45 acp, you are limited to 1 box per person but they refused to give me more than 1 box cuz my mom is not a member. tick tack BS if you ask me.

anyway, if we all make a concerted effort to buy less or not at all unless you have no ammo then prices will drop...slowly. It is always easier for prices or taxes to be increased than ever being decreased. Once you set a standard or expectation why would anyone go back to making / charging less money unless business is hurting.

It has been stated in other threads, and I feel the need to repeat it...
    The big retailers: Cabelas/BP, Dicks, Academy, Midway, et al have contracts with the manufacturers to buy "X" quantity for "Y" dollars for "Z" months/years. They are buying the exact same thing, for the exact price they were paying a year ago. When their contracts end, they'll be in the same boat as the small dealers.
    Mom and Pop shops are at the mercy of what distributors have and what they charge the shops. The small dealers are at the point where they need to make the decision of choosing to have bare shelves or charge insane prices.
    I moonlight at Masada Tactical and here are some price examples: 9mm/$40, .40/$45, .45ACP/$50 and we have to limit sales to 2 boxes per caliber because people are trying to buy all of our supply at once. Yes, people have tried to buy 1000rds of 9mm for $800.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    in that case even the local ranges need to be scrutinized. I live close to gilbert's and that's why I go there rather than go to a farther range where I can shoot my own ammo. I have a full year membership (around $160 I think?) and you are supposed to get a discount on ammo (20-25%???). last couple of times I felt gouged. 223 costs around $30 for 50. Considering they buy in bulk I am pretty sure they are making hand over fist. One visit cost me $200 for: 150 of 9 mm, 50 of 7.62 Tok, 100 .223. L

Do you KNOW what they are paying?

As Square Grouper points out, the smaller places are at the mercy of their suppliers.

Ask Ammo Jon. He sells to a lot of those ranges.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The local shops are paying a lot more than before. There have been major price increases to them. Put a mark up on their cost and you have outrageous prices. Some gouging, yes, others are trying yo cover expenses.

bronco

Dec 14, 2020
    se Va
    My LGS has been good to work with. He has made a point to not gouge. His price for any particular batch is based on what he paid, not increasingly higher market rate. They're not all out to get you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom