• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    My canning has been limited pickled (quail) eggs, and some pickle chips and spears, all of which I tend to make hot and spicy.

Attached is my recipe and process, including scaled ingredient quantities based on the amount of quail eggs (+ chicken eggs) you're starting out with. It also has some batch notes, adjusted thru trial and error. Spiciness is very easy to adjust to taste. I make these 3 or 4 times a year, and have several years' worth of different batches in the basement. They make GREAT bar food.

I don't have a strong preference for either the wide-mouth or standard jars. If you get started down this path, lay in a stock of lids. Jars and rings can be reused, but the lids are single-use only.

Attachments

• Hot Pickled Quail Eggs thru JUne 2020.pdf
      34.6 KB · Views: 216
    • IMG_6711.jpg
      IMG_6711.jpg
      80.4 KB · Views: 513

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I’m sitting outside and canning as I type this. We harvested 40 pounds of beans from the garden. I made 12 pints of dilled green beans and 20 quarts of regular green beans. Canning is great because you can store a bunch of vegetables without taking up freezer space.

I also have a dehydrator that I use once in a while.

I also found out that you can pickle watermelon rinds, so I’ll be experimenting with that later this summer. You can also dehydrate watermelon, but you can’t can it (as far as I’m aware).

I’d recommend the Ball canning book and the Mrs. Wages canning book. Mrs. Wages has good recipes.

Canning is a lot like reloading ammo: follow published recipes and not random stuff from the internet. The slightest change in ingredients can affect the pH (I’ll get to that in a minute).

For acidic foods with a low pH (fruits, pickled items, etc...) you can water bath can, which is simply boiling water and putting the jars in boiling water for a length of time.

For more neutral foods with a neutral pH (nearly all vegetables), you will need a pressure canner. You need the pressure to heat the jars to about 240*F (water bath canning only gets to 212*F.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I’m sitting outside and canning as I type this. We harvested 40 pounds of beans from the garden. I made 12 pints of dilled green beans and 20 quarts of regular green beans. Canning is great because you can store a bunch of vegetables without taking up freezer space.

I also have a dehydrator that I use once in a while.

I also found out that you can pickle watermelon rinds, so I’ll be experimenting with that later this summer. You can also dehydrate watermelon, but you can’t can it (as far as I’m aware).

I’d recommend the Ball canning book and the Mrs. Wages canning book. Mrs. Wages has good recipes.

Canning is a lot like reloading ammo: follow published recipes and not random stuff from the internet. The slightest change in ingredients can affect the pH (I’ll get to that in a minute).

For acidic foods with a low pH (fruits, pickled items, etc...) you can water bath can, which is simply boiling water and putting the jars in boiling water for a length of time.

For more neutral foods with a neutral pH (nearly all vegetables), you will need a pressure canner. You need the pressure to heat the jars to about 240*F (water bath canning only gets to 212*F.

We have always canned outdoors

I remember having 2 gas stoves at the old house outside just for canning or cooking stuffed hams or regular hams and cooking turkey’s and such in the oven in the summer. It was hot enough in the house back then before I knew what ac was. Ac had been around long before I was born but I never even saw a house or building with it until I got in high school lol.

My wife just asked if she could give our best neighbor a canning book, the rona’s cut his pay bad and he wants to put some food by. I told her go ahead and while you’re at it offer myself and my canner and services when he’s ready.

It’s the least I can do, I like passing down what little knowledge I have

Hell I might offer half a hog to him if he will help wrap it up. The wife wants to make a couple hams anyway

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    My mom used to can some things out of the garden and orchard when I was a kid. She made some remarkably good bread and butter pickles and applesauce. I never paid that much attention to the process so I don't know much about canning. Unfortunately any wisdom she had on the topic is now gone for eternity.

I started this thread because I went to order some ball mason jars to start the process and realized I didn't know the difference between regular and wide mouth and which is better.

Post up your best tips, supplies, techniques, and recipes for preserving food via canning.
    pressure canner is for veggies, meats, etc. Jams and jellies is water bath. Unless you are making pickles. Wide mouth can be used for pickle spears to pears or small 1/2 pint jars for jams and jellies. Pint jars can be small or wide mouth.

This a good website for any questions..i started here with apple butter. Its really good

https://www.pickyourown.org/applebutter.htm

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The heat has been hard on my half-runners at the moment. I need to get the sprinkler on them tomorrow morning and evening.

I've got about a quart-worth at the moment, but I only planted one seed packet. Lots of vines and flowers though, so I know I'll get there in the end. If I wind up with 6Qts I'll be a happy man.

Butternut squash is growing really well, but the tomatoes are taking forever to turn red. San Marzano, which take a long time regardless, but damn if they aren't killing me right now.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Putting up 16 lbs pickles this morning. Froze 6 qts green beans last week. Picking more later tonight. You need to water now for sure. Tomatoes are not ready yet.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Chili I do in smaller batches. I'll make up about 25-30 pounds of chili, get one family of four meal out of it and can about 12-14 jars. I love having chili on hand. Its our standby for " I'm too damned tired to start cooking a dinner now" and keeps me from ordering pizza. I make a helluva good chili.

I wish I had a bigger garden to can more of it.

Are you willing to share that chili recipie? I have a pile of beef in the freezer to use up.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I really need to find the time to do some canning. Life got in the way of a garden this year. Probably the worst year for that to happen. My 16 year old son is STILL a picky eater. I want to can some hot dogs to have on hand. I bet the jars and lids would cost more than the hot dogs. And from everything I’ve read, I hear they are tasty.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Just did 3qts of peperoncini and a qt of sliced banana peppers.

I don’t do it for long storage because I eat them so quick. I do boil the jars and then stuff the peppers in. Then pour boiling brine over top and immediately put on tops which seal really well actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I really need to find the time to do some canning. Life got in the way of a garden this year. Probably the worst year for that to happen. My 16 year old son is STILL a picky eater. I want to can some hot dogs to have on hand. I bet the jars and lids would cost more than the hot dogs. And from everything I’ve read, I hear they are tasty.

Have you priced jars and lids lately? Look them up on Amazon (there are other places to get them) to give you an idea.

Today, I canned another 30 pints of dilled green beans and 12 quarts of pickled zucchini. Trying to keep freezer space open for when the cow and pig come in this fall.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Anyone got a favorite pickler recipe? This is the first year for me growing pickling cucumbers and tried on Bread and Butter recipe already. My wife has a sweet from from her grand ma and the girl wants to make some dills.

Attachments

• Pickles - Bread and Butter.jpg
      Pickles - Bread and Butter.jpg
      82.1 KB · Views: 383

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    I will be doing a small batch of bread & butter pickles, and some hot jalapeño pickled chicken and quail eggs tomorrow, using a water bath. Total volume probably 2 quart jars and 4 pint jars.

I’m also interested in starting to pressure-can other things like non-pickled veggies, chili, and stews. I am ordering the All American 10.5 quart model canner, but the listing says: Note: ALL-AMERICAN Pressure Cooker/Canners are NOT suitable for glass/flat top ranges and are for home use, because their weight could cause the glass surface to break.

Of course, we have a glass top range. Is that notice just their lawyers talking, or is there an actual issue? I have had no problems with our range working with my big blue ceramic-coated Ball 21 qt. canning pot, loaded to the max. Even though the All American pot itself is much heavier, it will hold half the volume of my current pot. I do have a portable single-burner electric stove, and an outdoor gas burner to fall back on if necessary. ( and BTW they ship from VA and apparently don’t GAS about complying with collecting Maryland sales taxes like many other internet sellers.)

NRA Life ∙ MSI ∙ MD Designated Collector ∙ Certified Beer & Mead Judge

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    I have glass stove top and have zero problems. Have had it over 12 years.
    Waiting on tomatoes to turn and start doing some sauce.
    Going up to Smithsburg and get some peaches soon.
    Freeze and canning them. LOVE THEM things.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    I have glass stove top and have zero problems. Have had it over 12 years.
    Waiting on tomatoes to turn and start doing some sauce.
    Going up to Smithsburg and get some peaches soon.
    Freeze and canning them. LOVE THEM things.

Thanks a bunch, I think it'll be fine as well. But we won't be able to do any seasonal fruits or veggies in it this year, because they say it won't ship until freaking December...a victim of their own popularity and Covid, I suppose.

On today's front, I am using Mrs. Wages Bread & Butter Pickle spice mix. Since I'm not using the whole thing for 7 quarts, I measured it all out in Teaspoons and scaled the spice mix and sugar on a spreadsheet, for whatever size batch I want. While the eggs are soaking in vinegar to soften the shells, I've heated the jars, made the brine, and added three bright red jalapeño peppers from our garden, sliced into strips, seeds and all. It's been steeping for a couple hours with the peppers in it, and it is really delicious with just a faint hint of pepper flavor & heat. 'em are going to be some good pickles and eggs.

All done. I tried jamming all of the quail eggs into two jars but it was just > < much too tight, and I had enough brine to fill them up anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_6837.jpg
      IMG_6837.jpg
      63.5 KB · Views: 338
    Last edited:

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Have you priced jars and lids lately? Look them up on Amazon (there are other places to get them) to give you an idea.

Today, I canned another 30 pints of dilled green beans and 12 quarts of pickled zucchini. Trying to keep freezer space open for when the cow and pig come in this fall.

Does the zucchini come out like mush? What recipe for canning them do you use? I'm really interested in this as we always have an over abundance of squash and I can a lot but never thought about canning squash!

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Have some refrigerator pickles that we started this weekend. Cucumbers are doing really well this summer.

"Nuthin' but the finest creek-water for my family!"

Attachments

• 20200810_094801.jpg
      20200810_094801.jpg
      67.7 KB · Views: 305

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    You are right about the cukes!
    I picked another 1/2 bushel just now. Guess we are going to have pickles coming out our ears.

Eggs:
    Sooo, Like so many things the art has been lost or almost regulated out of 'style'.
    I see so many things that used to be common no longer supported by the government. Here is a link to canning eggs, Canning Eggs
    Do you keep your picked eggs refrigerated? I used to see them sitting on the counter at all the little markets along with a huge wheel of cheddar cheese.
    I guess someone somewhere got sick and that's that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom