• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Retirement means time available for inane projects such as cataloging all of the canning recipes in all of my canning books. Just updated my spreadsheet with the most recently purchased recipe book, Blue Ribbon Canning, so I'm sharing it here. I actually use this to find recipes when I want to use a particular ingredient.

Anyone should be able to download, and then search, sort, and edit the spreadsheet on your own device as desired. The categories are mine, not the books'. It does not include a lot of other recipes which I've made from other sources like the Ball Canning site, or the inserts which come with canning products such as pectin.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    So I busted out all the deer roast from the two bucks I shot and canned them. Footballs roast went into steaks. So I make 14 quarts of deer soup and 19 pints of canned deer for east meals.

The soup I pour half in a bowl and heat it. I make a save Homemade biscuits in the freezer and cook maybe two in the oven. I have not got them to work in the air fryer yet and it browns them too heavily.

Canned deer for easy fajitas or burritos and other stuff.

I had trouble with syphoning in the quarts of soup but nothing on the pints of meat. Do I need to heat them up slower or something?

Attachments

• Deer soup recipe.jpg
      Deer soup recipe.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 19
    • IMG_2317.jpg
      IMG_2317.jpg
      198.7 KB · Views: 19
    • IMG_2320.jpg
      IMG_2320.jpg
      178.8 KB · Views: 21
    • IMG_2309.jpg
      IMG_2309.jpg
      290.7 KB · Views: 22

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Thanks for sharing your recipe, I think we have some frozen venison somewhere which I’ll look into making into soup and canning.

I think the siphoning I have experienced on occasion is from not letting the pressure come down to Zero on its own without releasing any pressure manually to hurry things along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I did let it come down on it's own. Pressure was zero when I pulled the weight but it still poofed like pressurized but quickly. I could smell the beef broth before I put the weight on. So it was boiling out already then. First batch I put spices on top and that was mistake. Two jars failed to seal from rosemary and thyme getting in the seal. Put spice on the meat and buried in veggies and no problems.

Might cut in half and do some pints next year.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Today we canned 7 pints of Crawfish Stock which was made from 9 lbs. of crawfish shells and corpses from last week's Mardi Gras. @Spousal Unit cooked the shells for several hours, removed the shells and reduced the stock a little more to her liking before chilling it in the fridge for a week to let most of the solids and spices drop out. It still looks pretty murky but it's freaking delicious. Plans are to use some it to make Crawfish Sauce, the end use of which is presently unknown to me. 2 of these 7 jars did not seal though there was no siphoning from the jars, as the water in the pressure canner was perfectly clear. I could re-process them, but they'll just go into the 'fridge and get used first.

IMG_3698.jpeg

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Today we canned 7 pints of Crawfish Stock which was made from 9 lbs. of crawfish shells and corpses from last week's Mardi Gras. @Spousal Unit cooked the shells for several hours, removed the shells and reduced the stock a little more to her liking before chilling it in the fridge for a week to let most of the solids and spices drop out. It still looks pretty murky but it's freaking delicious. Plans are to use some it to make Crawfish Sauce, the end use of which is presently unknown to me. 2 of these 7 jars did not seal though there was no siphoning from the jars, as the water in the pressure canner was perfectly clear. I could re-process them, but they'll just go into the 'fridge and get used first.

View attachment 455233
    Étouffée or etouffee is a dish found in both Cajun and Creole cuisine typically served with shellfish over rice. The dish employs a technique known as smothering, a popular method of cooking in the Cajun and Creole areas of southwest Louisiana.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Today we canned Strawberry Habanero Pepper Jelly using the linked recipe as our base of operation. The quantity of strawberries was somewhat confusing... it reads 2 quarts of fresh strawberries stemmed and sliced... OK, does she mean 2 quarts of berries before stemming and slicing them, or 2 quarts of stemmed and sliced berries? I think it is somewhere in between. We used 6 lbs. of fresh strawberries which the Local Homestead in Marston got in from a farm in Florida. After stemming and coarsely chopping them it yielded 3.5 quarts of berries. After juicing the stemmed and coarsely chopped berries by cooking them with 1 cup of sugar, we wound up with 3.5 cups of juice. We doubled the recipe quantities from there (with a half-cup of the juice left over), substituting 2 large jalapeno peppers for the bell pepper, and using 2 habaneros. This process yielded 11 half-pints of jelly. It seems to have a nice peppery tingle without being overbearing.

I would also be remiss in not giving a shout-out to @remrug from whom I acquired a ton of these heavy-duty half pint wide-mouth jars a few years back. I'm using them whenever possible for jellies and jams.

IMG_3869.jpeg

Last edited:

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Today we canned Strawberry Habanero Pepper Jelly using the linked recipe as our base of operation. The quantity of strawberries was somewhat confusing... it reads 2 quarts of fresh strawberries stemmed and sliced... OK, does she mean 2 quarts of berries before stemming and slicing them, or 2 quarts of stemmed and sliced berries? I think it is somewhere in between. We had 8 lbs. of fresh strawberries (basically a flat) which the Local Homestead in Marston got in from a farm in Florida. We used them all, which after stemming and coarsely chopping them yielded 3.5 quarts of berries. After juicing the stemmed and coarsely chopped berries by cooking them with 1 cup of sugar, we wound up with 3.5 cups of juice. We doubled the recipe quantities from there (with a half-cup of the juice left over), substituting 2 large jalapeno peppers for the bell pepper, and using 2 habaneros. This process yielded 11 half-pints of jelly. It seems to have a nice peppery tingle without being overbearing.

I would also be remiss in not giving a shout-out to @remrug from whom I acquired a ton of these heavy-duty half pint wide-mouth jars a few years back. I'm using them whenever possible for jellies and jams.

View attachment 460804
    My mom use to make pepper jelly. Thanks for making me remember that.

I hope yours is as good as hers was!’

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Today we canned Strawberry Habanero Pepper Jelly using the linked recipe as our base of operation. The quantity of strawberries was somewhat confusing... it reads 2 quarts of fresh strawberries stemmed and sliced... OK, does she mean 2 quarts of berries before stemming and slicing them, or 2 quarts of stemmed and sliced berries? I think it is somewhere in between. We used 6 lbs. of fresh strawberries which the Local Homestead in Marston got in from a farm in Florida. After stemming and coarsely chopping them it yielded 3.5 quarts of berries. After juicing the stemmed and coarsely chopped berries by cooking them with 1 cup of sugar, we wound up with 3.5 cups of juice. We doubled the recipe quantities from there (with a half-cup of the juice left over), substituting 2 large jalapeno peppers for the bell pepper, and using 2 habaneros. This process yielded 11 half-pints of jelly. It seems to have a nice peppery tingle without being overbearing.

View attachment 460804
    Nice! Looks great!

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md

View attachment 460804
    I am really glad you are putting the jars to good use. The jellies look very yummy. Thanks for the shout-out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom