• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    How long do you need to run a fridge and freezer on a generator daily to keep them at proper temps? Is an hour a day sufficient, or do you need to run them longer?

While not answering your question, I've got an Engel fridge/freezer that operates on 12v and 120v. I've had that thing 15 years and it has been bomb proof. When you've been in the back country for days in the heat and whip out a half gallon of Breyers, it will make you a believer.

My point is that it will run, depending on ambient temps and setting, for 24 hours on freezer and 48 hours on fridge, on 12v, and still have enough juice to start my vehicle.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Well last week my 20 year old commercial grade Imperial upright freezer but the dust. Did manage to save most everything, by cleaning out the refrigerator freezer and getting all the meats into it, and stuff like French fries into the fridge. Going to start calling around soon to see what I can get for a replacement. Talking to the service tech that came out to look at, he said not to expect the new one to last half as long.

Mighty Joboo

Sep 15, 2020
    Well last week my 20 year old commercial grade Imperial upright freezer but the dust. Did manage to save most everything, by cleaning out the refrigerator freezer and getting all the meats into it, and stuff like French fries into the fridge. Going to start calling around soon to see what I can get for a replacement. Talking to the service tech that came out to look at, he said not to expect the new one to last half as long.

Still got a working Imperial that my grandfather gave to me... Such a seriously great machine.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I think you've got it reversed. Botulism won't grow in acidic conditions. Things like tomatoes are acidic enough that it's not an issue. It's non-acid items like canning peaches which can be an environment for botulism to be created.

JoeR

You are absolutely right. I did get it backwards and thanks for chiming in. I was steered toward the Ball Guidelines. They say the same basic thing the USDA does in terms of that general comment.

mangleu

Jan 29, 2020
    I used to live in South Florida and The Keys. I am seeing far too many people on MDS talking about what they have in their freezers for SHTF. For as much political BS we deal with here, we are mostly shielded from Mother Nature's wrath here in Marylandistan.
    As a "survivor" of several actual hurricanes (I am unaware of Maryland ever dealing with a true hurricane- Agnes in 1972 was a tropical storm)
    I know that the power grid can't be trusted and all freezers eventually fail. MDS members need to know how to preserve meats via table salt or curing salts. Please do some research and buy some Cure #1 and Cure #2. Your life will really suck if you lose power for a week and have no means to keep your freezers <25f.
    I'm just sayin...

Absolutely agree with what you've said. Don't put all your eggs in one basket and diversify your supplies so not one thing can devastate what you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom