• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    We got a call last night just after dinner from the lady who lives directly across the road from us and asked if we could come over , l didn't even ask why she's 87 and lives there alone and has been a joy of a neighbor ever since we bought our place , Her husband passed on about 7 years ago and since then I've been cutting her grass and pasture with his John Deere tractor and I get to cut ours too . She's taught us a lot about growing our garden and how to Can it too.
    We walked over it's a good after dinner walk , When we got there she was on the front porch and had a beer for each of us . There was a Mercedes Benz in yard and I assumed it was her daughter's it was and she came out to join us , She lives a few hours away in Nashville and is a Lawyer that handles things in the music industry and a single mom to a great little boy . So Ruth got right to the point and said she's moving in with her daughter , Something her daughter has been after her to do for some time. My GF started to cry she and Ruth had gotten to be very close .

Than she said I'd like you to have the John Deere tractor since you've been taking care of it and for the things you do around here and anything in the barn you can use too , I was blown away .

I asked if she was selling the property she said sort of my daughter is buying out her brother and sister part of it and keeping it as a second home for weekends and holidays than when she's ready to get out of Nashville move in full time , She's the only one of the kids that loves this place the other two are out in California and don't want to have anything to do with this place.
    So we'll be around weekends .

She asked if she knew were we could get a gate for the driveway and have it installed , I said I can install it we just have to go to Tractor Supply and get one . She asked if I would keep a eye on the place too , No problem I told her . She wants to open a account at the bank for me so if I need to get anything for the place I can . Her daughter gave me a letter giving me and any of my guests exclusive hunting rights to all 856 acres . But I have to share some of the venison , They will be back for Christmas and I'll go over and turn the heat on and the water pump when they call me to say they are on their way . It's going to a little lonely out here with her gone .
    Awesome story and great payback!

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Since last I posted in this , I've put in a gate to their driveway and with the tractor put enough dirt on each side so you can't get around it ,It has a keypad and a remote running power was a snap when I found a trenching attachments for the tractor in the weeds next to the barn , The Daughter had a alarm system with cameras installed and I was asked to watch the install so it would cover all approach's , I filled the wood bin and I set up a fire for them to lite , Heat and water are on so it's all set for them to arrive tomorrow , Heard that there's a chance of a dusting of snow on Christmas Day for us here and north Ga. but I put as much trust in the Weatherman as I do a Politician but I can hope .

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Well done! That's a hell of a homecoming!

I've got an older neighbor lady that lives down the drive from us. Been helping her out for years now. She is such a cool lady. 82 and still lives alone in her big house by the bay. Went to Juliard, Harvard, escaped the nazi's in poland as a young girl. I want to spend my golden years like her - on my on terms, in my own house. She inspires me and it makes me want to be sure that she can continue to live out her days as she has chosen. My little kids love her to death.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    We got a call last night just after dinner from the lady who lives directly across the road from us and asked if we could come over , l didn't even ask why she's 87 and lives there alone and has been a joy of a neighbor ever since we bought our place , Her husband passed on about 7 years ago and since then I've been cutting her grass and pasture with his John Deere tractor and I get to cut ours too . She's taught us a lot about growing our garden and how to Can it too.
    We walked over it's a good after dinner walk , When we got there she was on the front porch and had a beer for each of us . There was a Mercedes Benz in yard and I assumed it was her daughter's it was and she came out to join us , She lives a few hours away in Nashville and is a Lawyer that handles things in the music industry and a single mom to a great little boy . So Ruth got right to the point and said she's moving in with her daughter , Something her daughter has been after her to do for some time. My GF started to cry she and Ruth had gotten to be very close .

Than she said I'd like you to have the John Deere tractor since you've been taking care of it and for the things you do around here and anything in the barn you can use too , I was blown away .

I asked if she was selling the property she said sort of my daughter is buying out her brother and sister part of it and keeping it as a second home for weekends and holidays than when she's ready to get out of Nashville move in full time , She's the only one of the kids that loves this place the other two are out in California and don't want to have anything to do with this place.
    So we'll be around weekends .

She asked if she knew were we could get a gate for the driveway and have it installed , I said I can install it we just have to go to Tractor Supply and get one . She asked if I would keep a eye on the place too , No problem I told her . She wants to open a account at the bank for me so if I need to get anything for the place I can . Her daughter gave me a letter giving me and any of my guests exclusive hunting rights to all 856 acres . But I have to share some of the venison , They will be back for Christmas and I'll go over and turn the heat on and the water pump when they call me to say they are on their way . It's going to a little lonely out here with her gone .

Nice to read this and see you had a really good neighbor and friend. Sometimes in life we all take things in stride and for granted. I know you will both will surely miss her . At least you know you have her daughter taking over and dont have to worry about some stranger coming in.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Like reading stories like this.
    It showcases what real America is like. We hear a lot every day of the negative, but in reality, there is a lot of this going on. I'll miss them when I move.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    It's been a great couple of days with Ruth, her daughter and grandson back across the road , Her grandson was hot to shoot so we have been eating up some 22LR , Glad I have a deep stock of that .
    We are having them over for Christmas Eve dinner and going over there house for Christmas Dinner , My sweetheart has been going all out cooking , Her family always had Lasagna for Christmas , Turkey was for Thanksgiving and Ham or Lamb for Easter so she's been going all out with all the Italian from scratch cooking , Ruth and her daughter are doing a Prime Rib for Christmas , Our house now smells of Pies and I have been ordered under penalty of death to stay out of the pies . So I'll sip my Glenlivet and tend the fire and stay out of the way .
    It's going to be a wonderful holiday this year

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Don't know how I missed the original story, that's fantastic. I look forward to moving to Tennessee or somewhere thereabouts when I retire. I hope to find a nice piece of property in the double digit acreage range. Sounds like you did the neighborly thing by taking care of your neighbor, and its paying unexpected dividends. Congrats and enjoy!

Mondial

Colt .45
    Nov 29, 2018
    Columbia
    I believe there are a lot of stories like this, we only hear about the bad news which is what skews everyone's view of the world. Its amazing how just being friendly and helpful to your neighbor makes such a feel good story.
    Merry Christmas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom