• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    2K or so of US currency , silver , some gold , booze . My wife has money i don't ask her about and i have money my wife does not ask me about either .

If the money is in either of your vehicles, it should be safe!

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Cash. Yeah. Large bills. Smaller bills. Coins.

In the event (for an extended or permanent period) you cannot access your account for any reason, but you still need something, legal tender will (at least initially) still spend. Rate and or value unknown but likely exaggerated.

So what? Remember the old saying?

“Cash, grass or ass...nobody rides for free.”

Well, if you cannot or will not be up to taking what you want, then you might need something monetary. Yep, there’s other options. At least initially, cash American will work imo.

I’d also suggest precious metal in recognizable form. Rounds of one oz or in the case of gold, 1/10th of an ounce are a good companion.

There’s plenty other options like bullets or chickens if that’s your bent. They say .22 rounds are ideal as exchange/barter material. I can’t disagree.

How much is enough to have on hand...the OPs original question. I’d say that depends on what you think you might need early on. I say that because I do not expect, in any protracted situation, that Yankee green folding money will have some yet unknown half life before it’s just more butt wipe. I think $10K in mixed bills ought to get the average Joe or Jane through the first couple weeks to a couple months.

I’d keep at least $5K in silver 1 oz rounds as well. Their half life is likely much longer than paper bills.

In the cash, grass or ass scenario, unless you’re a grower or have a nice butt, well maybe some dinero might not be a bad thing.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    You guys won't tell someone how many and what types of guns are stored in your house, but have no issue indicating you have THOUSAND'S of dollars on hand. Just saying.

We do the Dave Ramsey envelope thing. It dictates there is always some cash on hand however we deposit the envelopes once it gets to a certain point to prevent fire and theft loss.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I would prefer to have enough preps to survive any situation without the need for cash. But maybe a little cash for filling up in enough gas to make it wherever so need to be.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I would prefer to have enough preps to survive any situation without the need for cash. But maybe a little cash for filling up in enough gas to make it wherever so need to be.

The stuff that can happen, that you have never imagined is what the cash is for.

I will admit, hurricanes have thrown me a curve ball a time or 2.

Ernesto made me buy a new ridge vent and hardware for the house, because flying debris knocked the old one off. Thankfully, I had an unused tarp to keep the rain out during the storm.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Cash is great for somewhat unpredictable disasters. Think hurricanes, blizzards, flooding, drunk slamming into the local power distribution center, etc. These are things where credit cards don't process correctly and folks with goods you want to buy only are accepting cash. These events only last a week or two.

Silver, booze, gold is more for bartering when folks are concerned about being tracked by CC purchases or even recorded cash serno's (a.k.a. marked bills).

Ammo, food, water and shelter are for that final tier. The one that no one in our lifetime ever wants to occur in the US. The one our founding fathers felt was so intrinsic in our culture that they didn't think it needed to be added to the Constitution. George Mason and James Madison hotly debated Federalism and formed the Bill of Rights that allow us to discuss this tier and prepare for it without fear of government retribution.

:patriot:

JaeLess

Nov 20, 2020
    I have an American Eagle safe with an electronic lock on it. I bought it 15 years ago... Now that I am aware of EMP , I am pissed that I didn’t get one with a simple combination lock....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom