• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    I cant think of a time when a simple compass such as the Suunto A10 was less than adequate. ...

I'll put in another vote for the Suunto A-10. Mine is old and looks different than the ones you see on the Internet now (photo of mine is attached). But a quick look shows you can still get them for as low as $10.

I have a more expensive one but my compass needs are not real sophisticated. And the A-10 is so easy to carry, I've opted for it to use in more countries than I can recall.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-01-03 at 03.35.22a.jpg
      WhatsApp Image 2021-01-03 at 03.35.22a.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 161

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I always used a mil compass even after I got out of the Army. I turned around and gave it to my son when he went in. Nowadays I just pay attention to the time of the day and where the hour hand is on an analog watch. So we live in the northern hemisphere. Point the hour hand at the sun as if it were a compass. Between the hour hand and the 12 is south.

BigT

Large Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Hagerstown area
    Sarcasm alert

I always used a mil compass even after I got out of the Army. I turned around and gave it to my son when he went in. Nowadays I just pay attention to the time of the day and where the hour hand is on an analog watch. So we live in the northern hemisphere. Point the hour hand at the sun as if it were a compass. Between the hour hand and the 12 is south.

How does that work for you at night and on cloudy days??:innocent0

nezumi

Dec 4, 2007
    Also with the Suunto's. I'd rather buy two I'm willing to lose than a fancy one I'm afraid to use.

(Same with pocket knives.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom