• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • czman

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 20, 2020
    My wife is interested in having a firearm on the nightstand on her side of the bed. We don't have any kids. She is totally inexperienced with firearms. I'm going to take her to the range to shoot a couple of my firearms under strict supervision and she will enroll and take a firearms safety and handling class.

The question is, what firearm to get her? And what style? I'm thinking one of the small Ruger revolvers, like an LCR in 9 mm or 38 special, because they are simple and go bang every time but I also wonder if she'd want to mess with a semi-auto of about the same size and in .380 or 9 mm. My feeling is the revolver is a better choice for an inexperienced shooter.

Suggestions?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    This is one of those answers that never changes. If you're going to let her shoot different types of guns at the range, wait until she's done that and then ask her which one she liked best. If it's a viable defensive gun, go with that one.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    My wife is interested in having a firearm on the nightstand on her side of the bed. We don't have any kids. She is totally inexperienced with firearms. I'm going to take her to the range to shoot a couple of my firearms under strict supervision and she will enroll and take a firearms safety and handling class.

The question is, what firearm to get her? And what style? I'm thinking one of the small Ruger revolvers, like an LCR in 9 mm or 38 special, because they are simple and go bang every time but I also wonder if she'd want to mess with a semi-auto of about the same size and in .380 or 9 mm. My feeling is the revolver is a better choice for an inexperienced shoot.

Suggestions?

M&P M2.0 9 mm, 40 sw, 45 acp, or she should be a faster runner than you.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I have an LCR in .38spl.

It is not, IMHO, a gun for a casual shooter. It takes a lot of practice to shoot it well, and the recoil and flash are substantial.

If you decide on a smallish revolver, the Ruger SP101 is a very nice compromise between a pocket revolver and a full-size. Just use .38spl in it rather than .357.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If you can find one of the new Colt Cobras or King Cobras...they would be ideal in many ways. High quality and superb triggers. The front sights are user replaceable and tritium sights are available.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    So many choices, and a lot depends on your mrs.

Do at least consider one of the easy rack models. And let her try them as much as/if possible before purchase.

Wife had problems with my first attempt. Px4SC. Very difficult Racking. And she didn’t like my later choice, sig938. Said too small and snappy. Didn’t complain about racking though. She likes her g19.

The EZ models weren’t out at that point. I’ve asked her to check them out. But she’s content and would rather buy other stuff.

Whatever you do, just try to have her there before purchase to try to work things. You can’t tell recoil in most stores, but the slide effort can be evaluated. Maybe some you know has a model that felt good at the store, and can let you try? Or maybe a range with demos? (Just suggesting to try to avoid the buy/try/sell/repeat loop)

Good luck!

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    If possible take her somewhere that has range rentals and have her try as many as possible. Chances are if its something that she picks out because it feels good in her hands and she likes it then she is more likely to practice with it and become proficient with it. I did this with my wife several years ago...she ended up with a pink glock 43 that she now carries everyday.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    This is one of those answers that never changes. If you're going to let her shoot different types of guns at the range, wait until she's done that and then ask her which one she liked best. If it's a viable defensive gun, go with that one.

^^THIS. The best answer is the same every time it's asked but you'll still get dozens of opinions based on everyone but your wife

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

^^THIS. The best answer is the same every time it's asked but you'll still get dozens of opinions based on everyone but your wife

+1, this...Cant say that enough.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    So many choices, and a lot depends on your mrs.

Do at least consider one of the easy rack models. And let her try them as much as/if possible before purchase.

Wife had problems with my first attempt. Px4SC. Very difficult Racking. And she didn’t like my later choice, sig938. Said too small and snappy. Didn’t complain about racking though. She likes her g19.

The EZ models weren’t out at that point. I’ve asked her to check them out. But she’s content and would rather buy other stuff.

Whatever you do, just try to have her there before purchase to try to work things. You can’t tell recoil in most stores, but the slide effort can be evaluated. Maybe some you know has a model that felt good at the store, and can let you try? Or maybe a range with demos? (Just suggesting to try to avoid the buy/try/sell/repeat loop)

Good luck!

Every gun is easy to rack when you learn to push instead of pull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom