• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Best thing to do though, is park far away from the rest of the asshats in ANY parking lot. Even across a street if need be where there's less occupied parking. Walking is good for you and better survivability for your car (or truck).

Oh I do. I also park where at least one side of the vehicle is protected by a parking "berm" or light post. When I go to the costco in Columbia there are a couple spots with a berm *and* a light post with just one space. I usually get some bird shit on my car but beats the alternative.

I do need to get a dashcam and think I would be inclined to wire it so I can leave it running with key off.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    Just a consideration. Dashcams from 2yrs ago are different from dashcams today. I like having a new thread rather than digging thru 10 pages about 5yearold cams.

Jim, hello. STRONGLY recommend you do a Search of terms “dash cam, - but, By Thread Title.

Then, scroll/read backwards in the thread while simultaneously pulling up recommendations in Amazon, etc in separate screen windows.

That is what I did when I was in same situation as you and the members here were VITAL!Y INSTRUMENTAL in my wife and I finding dash cams for our son and daughter (and I guess by extension, our precious little grand ones!) with many of the purchase criteria you list.

This thread being a terrific example: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=230849&highlight=Dash+cam&page=14

Best of success!

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    Here's the one I got (after doing a lot of research and reading hundreds of reviews) and it works well. I've had it for about 3 years. You can set it to record discreetly (display turned off) while parked and/or when bumped while parked. It detects g-force shocks (which you can adjust) so that if you're in an accident it will automatically lock the memory card from recording over that segment. It also records sound, so if you don't want a recording of every time you cuss at other drivers, you need to turn this feature off. One thing to keep in mind is that if you are involved in an accident, police will pull your camera footage. This can work against you if you're at fault. So don't get one unless you're a very good driver or if you plan to use this as a motive to drive better. It's easy to forget it's recording. One last thing, if you work somewhere like Fort Meade, these aren't allowed and could get you in trouble.
    https://www.amazon.com/APEMAN-Recorder-170°Wide-Recording-Detection/dp/B07DLG9GFG

mangleu

Jan 29, 2020
    In the following thread there was mention of installing dash cams in one's vehicles.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=251207

I've been thinking that's a good idea for a variety of reasons. Ideally I'd like 360 degree video but getting all the necessary cameras correctly and discretely positioned seems impractical as a retrofit.

So I'd like the system to be able to at least record day and night video front, rear and at the driver window (and maybe front passenger window). Also audio at the front seat.

Something that doesn't attract attention for theft is preferable.

Being able to record when the ignition switch is off would be nice, maybe with motion sensing to save space.

Finally, it mustn't violate windshield obstruction laws that many states have, including MD.

I've begun looking into the options and they're overwhelming. Price doesn't matter as long as it's less than a new car with integrated 360 degree video :). Recommendations?

This guy has a great channel for updated information on budget options. You can see what other videos he has for recommendations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-KBKzkOKS0

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Thread revival even though it's almost 2 years later...

Seems no matter what, you lose. Linus does make 2 recommendations (1 each for 2 price points), but it's all a bunch of manure as mostly what is inside the case comes from 2 or 3 manufacturers all using five-year-old+ tech that just doesn't deliver.

TuskenRaider

Dec 23, 2022
    Glen burnie
    VANTRUE N2 PRO. I am a full time Uber driver. It took a major hit in a wreck Feb 2022 and is still working. I got significantly messed up, but the camera was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom