• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Hey folks my apologies... I just took the class because I was obviously misinformed that I needed to take the class. Again, sorry for the misinformation.

Jazzn2

Nov 19, 2020
    Harford County
    I am seriously considering getting a CCW and been reading the endless posts and rabbit hole of do’s and don’t’s from everyone and their cousins neighbors friend.

I am a registered nurse and current Navy Reserve officer the past 20 years. I have firearms for home protection but now I’m wanting to have a CCW for self protection.

My wife, also a nurse, and I work in two different hospitals in the heart of downtown Baltimore. My wife is afraid to drive alone in the dark into Baltimore so we drive in together, before sunrise and on a after sunset.
    We have been approached and yelled at through the windows at stoplights too many times to count during the dark.
    Yes, I have run red lights for safety.
    We have been harassed at traffic lights, during the day also, by squeegee MEN and our car has been hit and dented numerous times. We try avoiding certain streets but these “entrepreneurs” (as the city government calls them) are everywhere!
    Recently we had soda cans and other items (even an incense oil bottle) thrown at us while being called Asian expletives and

Sadly, the hospitals where my wife and i work are surrounded by urban decay, drug users and homeless. We dedicated our lives to save lives but we are now harassed near where we work more frequently the past year.

How can I protect myself and my wife? Do I just ignore the escalating violence?

Jazzn2

Nov 19, 2020
    Harford County
    I am seriously considering getting a CCW and been reading the endless posts and rabbit hole of do’s and don’t’s from everyone and their cousins neighbors friend.

I am a registered nurse and current Navy Reserve officer the past 20 years. I have firearms for home protection but now I’m wanting to have a CCW for self protection.

My wife, also a nurse, and I work in two different hospitals in the heart of downtown Baltimore. My wife is afraid to drive alone in the dark into Baltimore so we drive in together, before sunrise and on a after sunset.
    We have been approached and yelled at through the windows at stoplights too many times to count during the dark.
    We have been harassed at traffic lights, during the day also, by squeegee MEN and our car has been hit and dented numerous times. We try avoiding certain streets but these “entrepreneurs” (as the city government calls them) are everywhere!
    Recently we had soda cans and other items (even an incense oil bottle) thrown at us while being called Asian expletives and

Sadly, the hospitals where my wife and i work are surrounded by urban decay, drug users and homeless. We dedicated our lives to save lives but we are now harassed near where we work more frequently the past year.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

Get jobs at county hospitals. St Joes, GBMC, Good Sam, etc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Good News is your Military service provides a Training Exemption .

But the challenging step is establishing your ( plural ?) Good & Substantial Reason . Information on this is available through MSI for their members . ( Hint - If you're not already members , the very reasonable dues are worthwhile just for this .)

zwilliams0408

Feb 19, 2021
    judge my reasoning

background: I own a mobile motorcycle mechanic (an llc) with my girlfriend that is established in PA (im a pa resident in southern york co) but very close to the line. ive done pretty much all my work in MD since starting it. my bank is in MD as well, and all cash and check deposits are done in MD.

I wanted all you knowledgeable folk to critique my explanation to msp, whether its too much, too little, or just right (and whatever else comments or concerns you have)

"MY GIRLFRIEND AND I WORK TOGETHER IN OUR FULL TIME JOBS AND BOTH OWN A MOBILE MOTORCYCLE MECHANIC BUSINESS VERY CLOSE TO THE MD LINE. WE DO OUR WORK ON OUR OFF DAYS TOGETHER. WE DO MOST OF OUR WORK WITHIN MD AND COLLECT CASH OR CHECKS FROM OUR CUSTOMERS AT THE COMPLETION OF THE JOBS. WE CARRY HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF TOOLS THROUGHOUT MD, ALONG WITH THE CASH/CHECKS UPON COMPLETION OF OUR WORK. WE ALSO DEPOSIT CASH AND CHECKS FROM OUR BUSINESS ADDRESS TO ANY PNC BANK WITHIN MD. OUR CLOSEST BRANCH IS ON THE MD SIDE OF YORK RD IN BALTIMORE COUNTY, SO TO DEPOSIT ANY CASH OR CHECKS, WE HAVE TO COME INTO MD AT A MINIMUM, EVEN IF NOT DOING ANY WORK. HOWEVER WE DO TRY AND DEPOSIT ANY PAYMENTS WHILE WE ARE STILL IN MD, AFTER THE JOBS, AT THE CLOSEST BRANCH IF POSSIBLE. I AM REQUESTING A HANDGUN PERMIT TO PROTECT MYSELF, MY INVESTMENTS, MY BUSINESS, MY PROFITS AND MY CUSTOMERS, IF NEEDED."

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    "MY GIRLFRIEND PARTNER AND I WORK TOGETHER IN OUR FULL TIME JOBS AND BOTH JOINTLY OWN A MOBILE MOTORCYCLE MECHANIC BUSINESS VERY CLOSE TO THE MD LINE. WE DO OUR WORK ON OUR OFF DAYS TOGETHER. WE DO MOST OF OUR WORK WITHIN MD AND COLLECT CASH OR CHECKS FROM OUR CUSTOMERS AT THE COMPLETION OF THE JOBS. WE CARRY HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF TOOLS THROUGHOUT MD, ALONG WITH THE CASH/CHECKS UPON COMPLETION OF OUR WORK. WE ALSO DEPOSIT CASH AND CHECKS FROM OUR BUSINESS ADDRESS TO ANY PNC BANK WITHIN MD. OUR CLOSEST BRANCH IS ON THE MD SIDE OF YORK RD IN BALTIMORE COUNTY, SO TO DEPOSIT ANY CASH OR CHECKS, WE HAVE TO COME INTO MD AT A MINIMUM, EVEN IF NOT DOING ANY WORK. HOWEVER WE DO TRY AND DEPOSIT ANY PAYMENTS WHILE WE ARE STILL IN MD, AFTER THE JOBS, AT THE CLOSEST BRANCH IF POSSIBLE. I AM REQUESTING A HANDGUN PERMIT TO PROTECT MYSELF, MY INVESTMENTS, MY BUSINESS, MY PROFITS AND MY CUSTOMERS, IF NEEDED. THE PERSONAL RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH THESE ACTIVITIES ARE THE BASIS FOR THIS WEAR AND CARRY PERMIT APPLICATION."

Only, don't do it all in caps. No need to shout at them! Note that the only reason they'll issue a permit and the only reason you can use deadly force should you be carrying, is to protect life when there is no other choice. You cannot use force to protect your tools or your money.

You'll need to present records of some of those transactions and bank visits in Maryland, and be prepared to show on your personal income tax filings how the money from that business flows to you personally.

Good luck!

JRisBundyboyz

Nov 23, 2007
    Bel Air
    If I previously had a MD permit to carry while working, doesn’t this exempt The training requirement if I write a letter to MSP. I’ve sold all my handguns. Now I’d like to buy an AR

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If I previously had a MD permit to carry while working, doesn’t this exempt The training requirement if I write a letter to MSP. I’ve sold all my handguns. Now I’d like to buy an AR

There is no training requirement for you to purchase a rifle. You just have to pass the (more or less) instant background check.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Occam had a good start on editing .

From " We also deposit ...... " to Occam's final edit was wordy with lots of unnecessary detail . If you choose to address those issues, something along the lines of " We usually do our banking at branches convient to customer work locations " .

Paragraphs are fine things .

It doesn't necessarily have to be mentioned in the G&S essay , but you will need to provide copies of Maryland Tax Number , and any licenses required for your endeavors .

JRisBundyboyz

Nov 23, 2007
    Bel Air
    There is no training requirement for you to purchase a rifle. You just have to pass the (more or less) instant background check.

But then a waiting period of 3 or 7 days? The reason I ask is I am buying from somebody and whatever FFL we pick I don’t want it to be too far from my home

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No , for complete Rifles there is no waiting period , it's either same day or Banned . ( Pending sucuessful NICS of course .)

Perhaps you are mixing up with Recievers Only which have 77R and 7 days .

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I need Help !!! Renewing permit and it is asking for a livescan # ...is this fingerprint cards ?? i don't have a livescan number

Did i mention i dislike this f'ed up state

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    I need Help !!! Renewing permit and it is asking for a livescan # ...is this fingerprint cards ?? i don't have a livescan number

Did i mention i dislike this f'ed up state

I think the livescan number is given to you by the place you get your fingerprints done at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom