• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    This is a long post. Its a topic that I have wanted to tackle in my life for a long time, but didn’t know how and where to start. Like scheduling a colonoscopy, It just lingered in the background, below the daily more important and less unpleasant things that needed to be done. I'm certain there will be better sources of information than I could share in this post. I'm also certain that there are members here who are IT experts and who are keenly aware of the scope of this problem and also the work that's necessary to protect yourself and or your personal information. This post however is for the guy like me, that doesn't work in IT, and who didn't think it was possible or worth the effort to even consider doing.

My awareness was elevated a few weeks ago when I listened to a podcast about the Woman who was walking her dog in central park when she was confronted by a man who was upset that her dog was unleashed. LINK The story and the video he posted online went viral. The woman, Amy Cooper, was blasted on MSM as a racist. She was fired from her job, her dog was taken, she was charged with Filing a False Police report and the Manhattan District Court. She and her family received multiple death threats.

Admittedly, when I first saw the video, I probably fell into the camp of believing the MSM story without questioning the narrative. This women was a racist Karen and she deserved to be burned at the stake. Due Process be damned. However, after listening to the podcast, it's clear that there is more to this story. Regardless on where you fall in your judgment of her actions, death threats made against her and her family are serious business.
    if you are not into the podcast thing, you can read a more serious, in depth account of the story, what was buried by the MSM, and the aftermath on this woman life here: The Real Story of "The Central Park Karen"

So the wheels started spinning a bit, because within 30 minutes of the infamous video being posted, people were marching in front of her home. What is worse was that her EXTENDED family was also getting calls almost immediately.

Last Thursday I had an altercation with someone through work. This person threatened one of my employees and then me. I usually am able to calm things down but in this case things got heated very quickly and culminated in the person making a death threat. The police were called and responded immediately. Nothing more serious happened.

However after the police left, I couldn't help thinking that this exact incident is the type of thing that could have gotten even more out of hand. Aside from the fact that verbal conflicts can escalate info physical conflicts, which thankfully didn't happen. The risk of being painted a fascist, racist or whatever the flavor of social media ire of the day becomes, is real. I certainty lost my cool and was involved in a bit of a verbal screaming match. I cannot recall every single word that I said, but I would guess that if someone had recorded that event and posted some out of context elements online, I might have been perceived as the aggressor. Who knows what makes videos will go viral, and who knows what motivates people to DOX someone and post their personal info online, but let's just say that had such a video been posted, some of those boxes would have been checked.

In light of the Central Park Karen Story and the events that happened to me on Thursday, I realized one thing for sure. Even well mannered even tempered people can find themselves in a situation where they can be quickly mischaracterized and slandered. The threat of being doxxed is real. The circumstances which can occur, has less to do with the character of the targets actions and everything to do with internet activist obtaining likes and followers at your (and your families) expense.

Now what can I do to protect myself and my family is the 64,000 question. I'm not a fool, and I realize that anyone with enough time, dedication and resources are likely going to be able to find out anything they want about me and my family. But I also realize that even if they can quickly find my home address and personal information, I want to still make it as difficult as possible. I find myself thinking more about my family and extended family. The thing that struck me from the Karen interview was how she was so worried that her elderly parents would be harassed. She said that she told them to lie and say she actually was not their daughter. My parents are in their mid 70's and I surely don't want trouble makers showing up at their home with pitchforks. My kids are charting their own paths and careers, so I want to try and protect their privacy too. My brother lives in another state and is also a business owner and could be easily targeted if someone one day decided that I was the enemy SWJ warriors in his home state.

I also realize that there is probably no easy way to really eliminate all sources of information without dramatically altering my life, altering my online behavior, and also convincing my wife and relatives to alter their online behavior too. I should probably reduce the amount of posts here on MDS too. For the time being that's probably not in the cards. The point is that simply doing nothing about the problem also doesn't make sense.

So I've started doing SOMETHING. Thanks to other MDS members responding to my Burner Phone thread last week someone had discussed the book Extreme Privacy: What it takes to disappear I did not buy the book, but I may do so. For now I went to the authors website inteltechniques.com, where I discovered he hosts a weekly podcast. One of his most recent podcast discussed this very topic Episode 230 Personal Data Removal I listened to this episode and then found that the author also has a free Online workbook that pretty muc walks you through this process.

So like so many other things in my life the MDS community lead me to a real shortcut in this whole process. If you are interested in this topic or are considering taking these actions, checkout the podcast and the workbook. I wont be able to explain everything, because I still am learning myself, but Michael Bazell explains that there are about 10 large Data Scraping companies that essentially scan online public records and create their own searchable databases. They sell this information online. Then there are about 110 other lesser well known data brokers, who either buy data from the big brokers and also resell the info. He explains that most of these companies how online pages where individuals can "OPT-OUT" or request removal of their personal information. What is astounding is that he has compiled and maintains an updated list of over 120 of these companies, with direct links to the page used to remove info.

Last night I started the process of requesting removals. As Michael suggests I started with the Big 10. Each company has a different process but they are all MOSTLY the same. You enter your fist and last name and you will see a list of any matching records. You select which specific record(s) is yours then request it's removal from the database. However I found that some companies had my father's name listed at my home address and my name and family listed at their address. In other examples, my name with middle initial was listed as a separate record than without the middle initial. On most of these sites, you have to submit a request to delete each record. Also my name appears in records for my wife, children, my parents and my brothers. So I requested any record, even if it was my parents to be removed, if it included my name or personal information. So in some cases I am making 10-30 individual removal requests for each of the sites visited. Also there are a few sites which do NOT have an online opt-out/removal page. For those sites, Michael provides the email address where you can formally request information be removed. For these companies, I copied the actual HTML page links that included the info I wanted removed, then I created an email template and submitted the request. I also created a spreadsheet to keep track of each company I have contacted for each name I want deleted. After about 6 hours of work yesterday that sheet has 72 individual removal request that I'm tracking.

This morning, I've received some email responses indicating the information has been removed. I've checked those sites and indeed my name no longer shows up in the search. So that's good I guess. In the podcast Bazzell suggest that after you make your initial batch of request to the big 10, you want about 30 days and then go back and confirm the information has been removed. Then after this initial batch, you can start going down the long list of the other data brokers. He explains that some of those companies, do not maintain their own data, but simply query the requested data from the big 10, in real time, then present it as their own.

The good thing is that most of this work can be done while sitting on the couch and watching TV.

I'll update this thread as this process continues.

Like everything else I post here, I consider myself a student who is just trying to learn from the experiences that others with more knowledge are willing to share. If anyone has already undertaken this process and can offer more tips, I'm interested. I'm also always interested in discussing these types of topics in general.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Great thread. I'd be game to do that. It would not be 100% though as to much is public record.

mdjudiciarycasesearch
    mdlandrec.net
    sdat
    are just a few places you won't be able to touch. But I do see the value in maintaining anonymity online for sure.

Look at some peoples screen names. You should for example not be able to google a screen name and have it come back to any other account you have in an online search. Hence the name "randomuser". I'm just a random computer user. No need to make it something like Mike8291977 or something that comes back to my rl google account and then to my facebook. To many don't understand the very basics and tbh just 15 yrs ago it did not matter. Now it matters.

Thanks for posting this. I think I might give myself a web sweep sometime in the near future.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    User name selection is a big part. I came across a user name on line that provide a bit of details. In general conversation, I was able to obtain their general location and job the person does. With about 45 seconds of searching the internet their FB, IG, Linkdin, etc was all located.

Rather scary really and something parents should be aware of. This was a video game chat that provided the basis for all this info. The person was not shy about sharing, almost to the point where I thought they might have created an alter persona on-line as a cover...but that's very unlikely.

As far as removing yourself...good luck. If someone provided a fee based service that worked and kept up with everything, I'm sure it would be worth it. But as soon as Zaba or something gets "unlinked" there's a new one waiting around the corner.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    When i have time i will come back to this thread , i subscribed . I know in a google search my handle here comes up , i tried to get off FB but you can't once you sign up . I just changed my name to a small degree

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Look at some peoples screen names. You should for example not be able to google a screen name and have it come back to any other account you have in an online search. To many don't understand the very basics and tbh just 15 yrs ago it did not matter. Now it matters.

You are right that 15yrs ago nobody really seriously worried about these things. I have some minimal email exposure as you describe but I’m working on changing that too. The process of changing email is even harder. I have one email address that I’ve used 23yrs. I use gmail for my general home communication. However thats going to change and I’m probably going to pay for ProtonMail and then begin changing the official email address used for personal business to a series of unique and non-descript names.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    A lot of opt out, click here emails just confirm they have a working email. Now if it is REALLY from your bank, use it. But if you can’t be 100% sure, delete it.

Google yourself in different ways. toolaa, tool aa, t aa, meaning like james, jim, jimmy etc, see what you come up with.
    Google is used as verb. Use duck duck or dog pile, etc.

I had an hr person try to find pictures of me online to put in the company database a couple years ago. She found my linked in, that does not have a photo. She gave up. I still refused to have my photo in the DB. She was pissed that she couldn’t find anything and there was no written requirement that I had signed stated they could have and use my likeness.

I have always been careful of my online presence.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    To get rid of your digital imprint get a Lawyer, legally change your name, get a new SSN#, get new DR License with new name, sell your home, buy new home in new name, cash out of all banks and retirements, put your money in off shore accounts, get new doctors, move and live in Alaska, cut all ties with family, or do something real bad make a deal and get put in witness protection.

I todays world it is almost impossible to get rid of your digital imprint.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    To get rid of your digital imprint get a Lawyer, legally change your name, get a new SSN#, get new DR License with new name, sell your home, buy new home in new name, cash out of all banks and retirements, put your money in off shore accounts, get new doctors, move and live in Alaska, cut all ties with family, or do something real bad make a deal and get put in witness protection.

I todays world it is almost impossible to get rid of your digital imprint.

There are companies who specialize in this, and people that choose that path. If my life or someone in my families was in serious danger I might make that choice. However that’s not what I’m talking about in this thread. I know full well that I’m not going to disappear.

Before I looked into this, I didn’t realize how much personal information was so readily available online about me and my family. Even if I’ll never get rid of 100%, there is no good reason just to leave the information I am able to control out there, waiting for someone to abuse, or use against me.

So far after just 6 hrs of work I’ve already received confirmations and verified that the 5 of the 10 main companies have already removed 35 records of me and/or my family. I’ll probably need to spend 30+ hours more to go through all of the agencies.

I’m going to sanitize my social media accounts and do my best to lock them down even tighter.

I also decided to put credit freezes and fraud alerts in place with all 6 main reporting agencies and the three lesser known agencies. This will help me limit my PII from ending up in other databases that I have no knowledge of or control over.

I think the first step is simply acknowledging that you as an individual have some control on what’s out there and that you can have an impact your privacy.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    From a randomly selected target, and only a cell phone number or license plate number to start with, I'd give myself an 85% chance of finding where they work, where they live, and the names of their immediate family members. Social media is helpful for putting together a comprehensive social engineering profile, but not necessarily required.

At this point (genie out of the bottle) it is actually easier to pollute the data with bad information than it is to sanitize it, unless you have fuq-you money. There is just too much leaked/stolen data from very comprehensive databases containing PII.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    There are companies who specialize in this, and people that choose that path. If my life or someone in my families was in serious danger I might make that choice. However that’s not what I’m talking about in this thread. I know full well that I’m not going to disappear.

Before I looked into this, I didn’t realize how much personal information was so readily available online about me and my family. Even if I’ll never get rid of 100%, there is no good reason just to leave the information I am able to control out there, waiting for someone to abuse, or use against me.

So far after just 6 hrs of work I’ve already received confirmations and verified that the 5 of the 10 main companies have already removed 35 records of me and/or my family. I’ll probably need to spend 30+ hours more to go through all of the agencies.

I’m going to sanitize my social media accounts and do my best to lock them down even tighter.

I also decided to put credit freezes and fraud alerts in place with all 6 main reporting agencies and the three lesser known agencies. This will help me limit my PII from ending up in other databases that I have no knowledge of or control over.

I think the first step is simply acknowledging that you as an individual have some control on what’s out there and that you can have an impact your privacy.

This is just a free site
    https://www.searchpeoplefree.com/

Go to lexusnexus ? spelling and get a report.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    From a randomly selected target, and only a cell phone number or license plate number to start with, I'd give myself an 85% chance of finding where they work, where they live, and the names of their immediate family members.

Do you use a paid search tool for phone number searches. I've searched my licence plates before and have never been able to find any link to my personal information for free. Do you use a paid service for this?

it is actually easier to pollute the data with bad information than it is to sanitize it,

So this is an interesting point made by Michael Bazzell. He does touch on this topic and says that you can do exactly this and being to create fake information in your name and allow it to permeate into the various databases. So I think this is something that I will eventually look into.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    What I find interesting, maybe a bit alarming is how companies are able to connect the dots- even after 30 years.

Amazon sent a postcard to my wife yesterday about job opportunities. The kicker: it was addressed to her name from a previous marriage from almost 30 years ago. And there is NO connection with our current address and that name. How the hell does that happen??

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD

The companies that so called have removed your data are not telling you the whole truth. For example if you use your PH# or store card at a grocery store your info is and has been sent to some of the companies they deal with. So unless they provide you a copy of each and you go to each you really have not done a thing.

Credit freeze everything is one of the best tools you can use. I have had credit freezes on all my banking and credit reporting agencies.

You actually have minor control of who sees and uses your info. When I went for my clearances I was told to provide all my pass words for each one of my social media accounts. When I told them I did not have any they said if I was not truthful and they found out I would not get a clearance. I just laughed and they found none.

Unless you pay big bucks for the companies who wipe/erase your digital foot print and you attempt to do it yourself you are just kidding yourself. Phone records, emails and texts are stored by all the service providers. The US Gov does and can get access to your stuff regardless of what other say.

hidaro

May 4, 2021
    As someone who works in Cybersecurity, and has been privileged to observe tons of patient information, financial customer information, customer SSNs, and even some.. well, government stuff - let me tell you firsthand that people don't give a **** about other people's sensitive information. We had a company that would leave LISTS of customer SSNs just sitting around on top of a printer for hours. Medical clients just leaving patient clients sitting around. And all these places? You can just walk right into them. Go on YouTube and search "Pentest engagements" where you can watch security testers usually just be let right into a building if they're holding a clipboard.

You should be concerned, but there's not much you can really do to undo the past. You can call places and ask them to remove all your data, but you're trusting that they do it properly. You can potentially lawyer up if you want some pressure put on them to do a better job but, eh.

hidaro

May 4, 2021
    The companies that so called have removed your data are not telling you the whole truth. For example if you use your PH# or store card at a grocery store your info is and has been sent to some of the companies they deal with. So unless they provide you a copy of each and you go to each you really have not done a thing.

Credit freeze everything is one of the best tools you can use. I have had credit freezes on all my banking and credit reporting agencies.

You actually have minor control of who sees and uses your info. When I went for my clearances I was told to provide all my pass words for each one of my social media accounts. When I told them I did not have any they said if I was not truthful and they found out I would not get a clearance. I just laughed and they found none.

Unless you pay big bucks for the companies who wipe/erase your digital foot print and you attempt to do it yourself you are just kidding yourself. Phone records, emails and texts are stored by all the service providers. The US Gov does and can get access to your stuff regardless of what other say.

WTH? They asked for your social media passwords? That's gotta be a test to see if you'd give it out or not.. me personally I would just give them a firm "No, sorry." and if that means I don't get a clearance, oh well.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    WTH? They asked for your social media passwords? That's gotta be a test to see if you'd give it out or not.. me personally I would just give them a firm "No, sorry." and if that means I don't get a clearance, oh well.

Well, they would open up your account in front of you and after they were done you changed your PW. Working in some of the top secure sites in the nation does have its drawbacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom