• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Special run of "Less Antimony" primers

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

That's what happens when the judge takes your side in the divorce case, right? :lol2:

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Small pistol magnum available at least a few minutes after that as I rolled out of bed about 6:25am and ordered up 1k. Those really should be the last primers I buy for a LONGGGGGGG time. But I only had a few trays and plan to try to get a .357 lever gun and a .357 revolver later this summer/fall.

Soooooooo.... Not loving the 10.5cpp shipped, but still means I can load a .357 for only about 20-22cpr.

Of course they might still cancel my order, but *shrug*. I kind of figured there was a high likelihood of that when I ordered.

The SPP were in stock from at least 11pm until at least 6 the morning so you should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    CCI SRP at Brownell's just dropped. I am more than good, but if anyone else needs them. Have at it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Brownells drops - overpriced and limited quantity or not - lasted a LONG time, and that makes me think that maybe we've crossed the bridge on primer availability, or are at least in the process of doing so. Now I need a couple good LRP drops, haven't seen much of those in months and mine aren't going to last forever...

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I didn't like paying $55 + shipping + Hazmat. So I am not paying the $75 Midway and Brownells thinks they are worth now. Now maybe the LGS's can start getting them back in stock.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I didn't like paying $55 + shipping + Hazmat. So I am not paying the $75 Midway and Brownells thinks they are worth now. Now maybe the LGS's can start getting them back in stock.

One keep in mind, from what I saw, manufacturers increased their price on primers about 30% or so in the last few months. Which equates to the change from ~55 to $75. IIRC manufacturers had already increased prices on primers by 10-20% last year.

So if you expect primers are going to drop back to $35 1k anytime soon, you are absolutely delusional. Now someday they might, but the majority of price increases you've see from Brownell's and Midway (and Powder Valley, and Midsouth and Grafs) have all been manufacturer price increases.

And a huge amount of the manufacturer price increases are because of raw material costs having skyrocketed. Even if the supply and demand situation looked like 2 years ago, raw material costs alone would dictate primers would probably be in the $50-55/1k range.

Sure, you'd be able to order 5k of them or whatever and get free shipping and hazmat then and what not. Prices will come back down some once supply catches up. But when it comes down to it, ammo prices and component prices just aren't likely to fall significantly until demand AND raw materials costs come down. Estimates are 12-24 months for the metals market to stabilize and correct.

PS From what I've been hearing, BPS/Cabelas is running around $100 per 1k (well not selling 1k, but $9.99-10.49 per 100) for most of their primers when they do have any in stores. So about what it'll cost you from Midway or Brownell's once you factor in shipping and hazmat. I'd be shocked if your LGS was selling them for much less than that.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't think they're gonna drop to $35 tomorrow, but I can sustain 5 cents per primer if I can order 5k at a time at will, doubly so on rifle calibers where the primer isn't a very big chunk of the total cost.

ETA: one other thing to consider is that Sig is setting up primer manufacturing this year, and there is supposedly at least one other ammo maker about to do the same. Between that and Remington getting back online, I think the primer situation is going to resolve itself faster than people think.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I don't think they're gonna drop to $35 tomorrow, but I can sustain 5 cents per primer if I can order 5k at a time at will, doubly so on rifle calibers where the primer isn't a very big chunk of the total cost.

I should be good for years now. Well unless I start shooting and reloading as much as I want to. If that happens I doubt some of my primers will last me a year. But these are fantasies we are talking about, not the cold hard reality of what I am likely to be doing shooting and reloading the next few years.

:lol2:

I'd guess give it 6-12 months with more primer manufacturers coming online (PV is claiming 3 new domestic ones this year. I think they were counting Remington as one of them. I am curious who the others are? If those are just ammo makers vertical integrating by manufacturing their own primers now or what, but even that will take pressure off the supply for the reloading market).

In 6-12 months supply/demand may have balanced enough that availability might be high enough that primers are regularly in stock at the prices of today. I don't think we will see price erosions for at least a year and probably more. But heck, just being able to get them when you need them and being able to order 2, 3, 4, 5 boxes at a time to spread shipping and hazmat a bunch would go a long way.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Sig is one. I rather suspect Hornady will turn out to be the other, if for no other reason that it's the last big hole in their reloading line-up and could provide cost savings for their own ammo lines.

ETA: a couple more rimfire plants in the US would be nice, too, but I've heard the ROI on them isn't great.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sig is one. I rather suspect Hornady will turn out to be the other, if for no other reason that it's the last big hole in their reloading line-up and could provide cost savings for their own ammo lines.

Those were my two guesses. It does make me curious if they'll supply to the reloading market. I am guessing no with Sig. A maybe for Hornady.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Those were my two guesses. It does make me curious if they'll supply to the reloading market. I am guessing no with Sig. A maybe for Hornady.
    Someone's already posted up what appeared to be a sleeve of Sig primers, so it seems like the reloading market is a possibility. Sig does sell brass and bullets as it is.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    One keep in mind, from what I saw, manufacturers increased their price on primers about 30% or so in the last few months. Which equates to the change from ~55 to $75. IIRC manufacturers had already increased prices on primers by 10-20% last year.

So if you expect primers are going to drop back to $35 1k anytime soon, you are absolutely delusional. Now someday they might, but the majority of price increases you've see from Brownell's and Midway (and Powder Valley, and Midsouth and Grafs) have all been manufacturer price increases.

And a huge amount of the manufacturer price increases are because of raw material costs having skyrocketed. Even if the supply and demand situation looked like 2 years ago, raw material costs alone would dictate primers would probably be in the $50-55/1k range.

Sure, you'd be able to order 5k of them or whatever and get free shipping and hazmat then and what not. Prices will come back down some once supply catches up. But when it comes down to it, ammo prices and component prices just aren't likely to fall significantly until demand AND raw materials costs come down. Estimates are 12-24 months for the metals market to stabilize and correct.

PS From what I've been hearing, BPS/Cabelas is running around $100 per 1k (well not selling 1k, but $9.99-10.49 per 100) for most of their primers when they do have any in stores. So about what it'll cost you from Midway or Brownell's once you factor in shipping and hazmat. I'd be shocked if your LGS was selling them for much less than that.

A brick of CCI LRP was $65 and a brick of federal SPPM was $75

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay

I'd be happy with $55 at a LGS and I aint giving BPS or an LGS $10 a square. I'd buy from Midway or brownells out of principle on that. but 10% to 20% does not raise them to $75 or $80 as Powder Valley sold them. 20% increase of $55 is $11 not $20 - $25

I understand price increase, but I really think we are being sold a load of BS

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom