• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    My Network

My son in GA was in a shop browsing and he noticed there were several stacks of primers on the shelf that the owner just placed there. He called me to see what primers I used. He was able to by 2K of BR2 primers for 180 bucks and 2K of large rifle magnum primers for the same price. He will be coming up in the spring to deliver them and pick up some 45APC I loaded for him. They also had some powder on the shelves, but I did not need any. He said the powder was going fast. The owner had a limit on powder purchased of 2 pounds.

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    My guess is that primers will settle in the $80 / k range (about double what they were in 2019). Seems to be bottom of what I have seen recently.

MTplinker

Dec 30, 2021
    Annapolis
    My guess is that primers will settle in the $80 / k range (about double what they were in 2019). Seems to be bottom of what I have seen recently.

Not great, but at least economically do-able to reload. Seems like materials-wise primers are about the same SRP, SPP etc. It’s not like bigger bullets = more lead and copper = higher price for a box.

I reload partly for the hobby itself, partly for the satisfaction of building an accurate round, but it’s partly to whether supply problems. I am not in position where I must hand load because the caliber is obscure/ out of date/obsolete/ ceased to be manufactured.

If the cost per round hand loaded isn’t markedly less than factory, I gotta stop and ask how much do I want to spend on this hobby vs just getting factory rounds?

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri

The local gun store across the border from me in Kansas is currently selling primers for $7.50 per 100 (limit 200), so the price may settle lower. Somehow they have kept a decent selection of primers in stock for the last 2 years. Admittedly with heavy rationing.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The local gun store across the border from me in Kansas is currently selling primers for $7.50 per 100 (limit 200), so the price may settle lower. Somehow they have kept a decent selection of primers in stock for the last 2 years. Admittedly with heavy rationing.

Just based on raw materials and labor costs, the best I could see is around $65-70/1000 unless raw materials prices drop a fair amount lower. There is some extra profit built in along the supply line right now. So if or when supply starts covering demand a lot better it’ll probably relax some.

If raw materials costs relaxed just to what they had been plus inflation from a couple of years ago and manufacturers didn’t need as much overtime to cover demand it might relax closer to $50/1000. Almost certainly not going lower unless there is a big glut and manufacturers try to under cut each other by selling close to or at cost.

MTplinker

Dec 30, 2021
    Annapolis
    Lazarus, that makes sense. I wonder how likely it is that global demand for copper, lead, and whatever else goes into the mix with lead styphnate will go down. On the flip side, is production rising to meet this demand?

Thanks for your thoughtful economics explanation.

I guess I’ll just watch for that Midway USA email announcing that they are waiving HAZ-MAT shipping fees on primers and buy them then. Might be waiting a while....

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lazarus, that makes sense. I wonder how likely it is that global demand for copper, lead, and whatever else goes into the mix with lead styphnate will go down. On the flip side, is production rising to meet this demand?

Thanks for your thoughtful economics explanation.

I guess I’ll just watch for that Midway USA email announcing that they are waiving HAZ-MAT shipping fees on primers and buy them then. Might be waiting a while....

Likely…

But yeah, I am fortunate I am flush with primers for a long time. Maybe not many years, but I am good for awhile. And I don’t go through that much ammo right now. 2-3k a year.

But for restocking, if I can wait, I am waiting for when availability is decent enough I can order a lot in one order. Maybe not 40k primers. But it would be nice to order at least 2k SPP, SRP and 1k each LPP and LRP and either spread that hazmat and shipping around or take advantage of a free hazmat (and maybe shipping?) deal. Heck, even if it meant ordering more than 6k total primers to get it.

But I can wait at least a year, probably 2, before I need to seriously start worrying about it.

It would save a ton compared to ordering 1k or 2k here and there and paying shipping and hazmat each time.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Likely…

But yeah, I am fortunate I am flush with primers for a long time. Maybe not many years, but I am good for awhile. And I don’t go through that much ammo right now. 2-3k a year.

But for restocking, if I can wait, I am waiting for when availability is decent enough I can order a lot in one order. Maybe not 40k primers. But it would be nice to order at least 2k SPP, SRP and 1k each LPP and LRP and either spread that hazmat and shipping around or take advantage of a free hazmat (and maybe shipping?) deal. Heck, even if it meant ordering more than 6k total primers to get it.

But I can wait at least a year, probably 2, before I need to seriously start worrying about it.

It would save a ton compared to ordering 1k or 2k here and there and paying shipping and hazmat each time.

I hear ya. SRP primers I'm good maybe 25-30K from the early 80's so no issues there, unless I do a marathon
    reloading session. bout the only thing in need is 209's got back in shotgun a few years ago, a friend gave me a
    huge industrial trash bag of ole Win AA's...so...ordered some from Midway recently, $105 to the door, now that's
    crazy, 1k limit, once they are gone I'll move onto something else. Reload some other calibers I guess. Those 1k
    limits and the fees, where's the good ole days?? I know long gone....:D:D

-Rock

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I hear ya. SRP primers I'm good maybe 25-30K from the early 80's so no issues there, unless I do a marathon
    reloading session. bout the only thing in need is 209's got back in shotgun a few years ago, a friend gave me a
    huge industrial trash bag of ole Win AA's...so...ordered some from Midway recently, $105 to the door, now that's
    crazy, 1k limit, once they are gone I'll move onto something else. Reload some other calibers I guess. Those 1k
    limits and the fees, where's the good ole days?? I know long gone....:D:D

-Rock

Oh jeez I thought I had a fair number!

I think I’ve got 2k or 3k SRP, 1k SRM and 1k CCI NATO SR primers (#43?)

I lucked out in many ways. Only a few K I got at yesteryear prices sadly. But I managed to get most of mine from members getting out of reloading early in 2020 or back when. Midway was still doing 5k lots and their prices hadn’t gone up much. My best score was from Brownells, I think it was last summer. I ordered 1k CCI SPM because I intend to get a .357 revolver and lever gun here in the next year or two (I only have. 38spc revolver now) and it was the first I’d seen them at vaguely reasonable prices. I think it was $65/1k and another $30 in shipping and hazmat at the time. Limit 2k. I figured 2k or .357 would take a LONG time to shoot up since I don’t even have one yet!!!!

So, whatever’s. About $100/1k with tax, shipping and hazmat, but at least I could reload for it.

Package showed up. Brownell’s accidentally shipped me 2k!!!

So I actually managed to get 2x as many for basically $50/1k!

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Oh jeez I thought I had a fair number!

I think I’ve got 2k or 3k SRP, 1k SRM and 1k CCI NATO SR primers (#43?)

I lucked out in many ways. Only a few K I got at yesteryear prices sadly. But I managed to get most of mine from members getting out of reloading early in 2020 or back when. Midway was still doing 5k lots and their prices hadn’t gone up much. My best score was from Brownells, I think it was last summer. I ordered 1k CCI SPM because I intend to get a .357 revolver and lever gun here in the next year or two (I only have. 38spc revolver now) and it was the first I’d seen them at vaguely reasonable prices. I think it was $65/1k and another $30 in shipping and hazmat at the time. Limit 2k. I figured 2k or .357 would take a LONG time to shoot up since I don’t even have one yet!!!!

So, whatever’s. About $100/1k with tax, shipping and hazmat, but at least I could reload for it.

Package showed up. Brownell’s accidentally shipped me 2k!!!

So I actually managed to get 2x as many for basically $50/1k!

Man I wish I had that luck, some people have all the luck;);) Won't happen
    to me.. good to see someone with ample supply

Back in the 70's-80's friends owned a shop, I would get on them about primers
    so they ordered all these SRP's I walked in, saw em, said I'll take em all, you
    better order more, other friends were giving me 5.56 brass by the crate. Found
    some old sales receipts $10.50 per 1k oh well.

Guess if I need primers I'll get em, still a little hard when you see $70-90
    per K and then figure in everything else.

-Rock

Ray Savage

Nov 29, 2021
    Brownells has large rifle primers in stock, just ordered 1000, will update if I receive them or not, I did get a confirmation they have them.

JBoshoven

May 30, 2021
    Severn, MD
    Ordered the limit for myself too. Brownells has always come through. I have ordered a lot of primers from them and Natchez in the past. Powder too.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom