• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvester The Cat

Jun 18, 2021
    So, I am to believe that everyone going through a Corona toll plaza that does not have a manned cash accepting booth due to changes from the virus, is receiving a notice in the mail collecting a couple bucks.

You mean to tell me, all of the EZ Passless people are also relying on the incredibly unreliable US mail at getting them this magical bill. And, if they don't, they will acrue fines and penalties swelling said $4 bill to possibly hundreds of dollars over time if left unknowingly unpaid. And since there is a mechanism between EZ Pass and the rotten co-op that is the MVA, on top of all of this delinquency, registrations could be flagged on renewal.

I call BS and say EZ Pass holders are the only ones paying tolls.

What say you regarding this logistics cluster F?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Well, I borrowed a family member's car to make a run that usually involved my vehicle and an EZ Pass on the dashboard. Oops. Sure enough, a letter/invoice showed up to my family member's attention citing the trip past the toll cameras. Have had that happen both in MD and while hitting no-gate drive through plazas along the Dulles Toll Road. The gated plazas won't let no-EZ-Pass-having folks pass until an attendant walks over with the card reader on the spot.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Yep got over 300.00 dollars in fine doing interstate with our welding service trucks from Md. to NY . the state of MD decided to deny our credit card and then the chain reaction thru all the states . We called MD> they said sorry and did nothing to help us correct the problem so we had to pay the fines .

It was MD's fault and our problem , it was cheaper for me to pay them . I have to make money in other places and did not have the time to deal with it .

ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County
    I agree it looks like something is messed up in their systems.

I was just pulling receipts for taxes and reviewed all my 2020 EZ Pass statements. I found a couple charges from places we've never been. I also noticed many where posted to the account months after the supposed trip.

I still need to follow-up with them to find out what's going on.

Sylvester The Cat

Jun 18, 2021
    ^This is exactly what I'm talking about. These kind of unreasonable shake downs are going to be happening all the time. Hogan needs this problem on his desk.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    ^This is exactly what I'm talking about. These kind of unreasonable shake downs are going to be happening all the time. Hogan needs this problem on his desk.

Just wait until they have 5G at every intersection and they charge you for every inch of travel you perform in an automobile.

EZ-Pass tracks the vehicle. Cell phones track the individual.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I agree it looks like something is messed up in their systems.
    Ya think!? :rolleyes:

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the unbelievably inept data systems they have for things.

I had a situation where there was a SNAFU regarding insurance coverage after my daughter totaled a car. I did everything I needed to in order to resolve it, was told that it was resolved, verified over the phone. Nope. I received yet another bill. At that point I was done dicking around with it and didn't want to waste any more time on it - it was easier to pay the fine and move on. I don't know if their systems are that jacked up, or if they hope people will be like me and just pay the damned thing to make it go away.

Just wait until they have 5G at every intersection and they charge you for every inch of travel you perform in an automobile.

EZ-Pass tracks the vehicle. Cell phones track the individual.
    You're giving them an awful lot of credit to be able to actually install and enact a system capable of doing that and doing it accurately. Most government systems aren't capable of finding their own ass with two hands, a compass, and a map.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I have had a EZPass issued from NJ for 20 years. I received a replacement device as part of the standard battery refresh process earlier this year. I returned the old device in the prepaid envelope that was provided. Later did a drive that was taking me through PA and OH and when I got to the first toll gate it would not raise up. The attendant came over and took a reading from my EZpass and said it was generating a code that said it was an invalid pass. I had to take a paper ticket and pay manually on the trip. I got home and noticed the EZPass had a MD sticker on it instead of NJ. Called the MD help line and they said there was no record me in their system but the serial number on the device was for a an MD issued device. Called NJ and they had no record of receiving my old device back or a new one being sent to me. I asked if I should send the invalid MD device back, and they didn't want it. Something obviously out of whack with their record systems and/or databases. Ended up having to create a new account and pay $15 for a new device. PA also sent me a letter for tolls and extra fees because I went through their no-attendant gates with an invalid device.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    When I bought a new truck 2 years ago ,along with new tags, I tried to get en EZ pass and was denied because there was already one issued for my tag number. I had to take a picture of my truck and tag along with the registration to the office at the Bay Bridge before they would issue the transponder.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    All the tolls, fees, and speed camera tickets are enough to get a person to take up bicycling, or at least play the part with a bike rack on the back of the car or in the hitch on a truck.:innocent0

MD's MVA is straight garbage. Had an ezpass back when I lived there and commuted through the tunnel daily, pretty much every statement had bogus charges, and a couple times a year I would get a photo of some random car with a bill, turned it in and just paid after that. When we moved to PA with 3 vehicles in my name, I paid extra to have a few days of overlapping insurance, got PA tags and insurance, turned in MD tags, got receipts, knew to expect problems so had my bases covered, or so I thought. Ended up getting a letter for $1500 in fines and a "suspended" MD license(switched to a PA license for months at that time). Insurance co had proof, I had proof, MVA said didn't matter must have taken the MVA a few days to actually process my returned tags, and their own receipt means nothing, need separate forms proving insurance any time their automated system flags for a lapse in coverage, insurance co sent every requested form to the MVA every couple months, but the letters kept coming. Ended up taking a lawyer from my insurance co to finally stop it(still not completely sure it's settled 13 years later) last letter before that was a $9,000 fine. So yea, F-them.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I drove across the Key Bridge a couple months ago, and assumed I'd get a bill in the mail. I haven't seen one. What should I do?

Sylvester The Cat

Jun 18, 2021
    ^BINGO!

I don't believe letters are truly going out to non EZpass holders. We are talking about a MASSIVE number of letters being processed here with no cash lanes available.

And who do you call to check? And what if they say it was sent or what if you are told a year later it was sent, you didn't pay and now you owe 10xs the amount due to fines and penalties.

WTF?

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Don’t pay ez pass and see what happens. Car owner DL will be suspended plus late fees. Then court, with summons from mail, that people will never get???, then warrant for arrest…

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I remember in California you could log on and input the tag number if you didn’t have an EZ pass. Did this for the rental car since they scam you a daily EZ pass charge regardless if you use it 1 day or every day on top of the tolls. I made that mistake once.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I don't believe letters are truly going out to non EZpass holders.

As mentioned, I received just such a letter/invoice from passing through a gateless EZ-Pass toll while driving a car that had no physical pass or account for one. The tag number draws a straight line to the car owner's home address. Don't try to picture a bunch of clerks looking things up, printing documents, folding them up, stuffing envelopes, and licking stamps. It's all totally automated, and hard-to-read tags or other circumstances get kicked out to human clerk when the system can't make sense of things. That's a tiny percentage.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    When I see the thread title I think of Babs Milkulski....

And I have EZPass since Hogan made it free to have instead of that damn monthly maintainence fee.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Don’t pay ez pass and see what happens. Car owner DL will be suspended plus late fees. Then court, with summons from mail, that people will never get???, then warrant for arrest…

Actually had this happen around 6:00 A.M. on a Saturday morning about 15 years ago. The MVA had been sending the notices to an old address, even though I had done a change of address and had the card in my wallet when the deputy sheriff, who also happened to be a former employee of mine, took me into custody.

I was completely clueless there was any sort of problem. Luckily, it was treated mostly like an administrative snafu, and I was home in a couple of hours. Apparently, it is not a unique situation and I was treated more like a victim than a fugitive from justice.

The whole thing started when my company provided EZ-Pass renewal got screwed up and the one time I remember the alarm buzzing as I went through the toll booth, I called the office and was told the bill should be sent to them. I was then given another EZ-Pass transponder and life seemed normal again.

chillman

Sep 20, 2012
    Annapolis
    I have travelled over the bay bridge at least 10 times in the last year in two different vehicles and have not received anything in the mail.

I drove across the Key Bridge a couple months ago, and assumed I'd get a bill in the mail. I haven't seen one. What should I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom