• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I'm looking for a Winchester 1873 Rifle. Both the Uberti (Cimmeron/Taylor...) and the new Winchester Miroku ones are nice. The Winchesters seem to be a couple hundred $ more than the Uberti. So is there any pros or cons to either the new Winchester or Uberti 1873 as far as quality or function?

I'm not particular about the caliber or configuration, I love them all. I'll buy an original one if I can find a nice one with a good bore and reasonable price. I'd buy two if the price is better than reasonable. I'll be looking at them all at the Antique Arms Collector Show in March. I also have a few nice guns to trade.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The Winchesters seem to be a couple hundred $ more than the Uberti. So is there any pros or cons to either the new Winchester or Uberti 1873 as far as quality or function?

I can't comment on the Winchester from personal experience. I brought home an Uberti '73 in 45LC and my wife stole it from me. I had to get another one for myself. So now we have two in slightly different flavors. Beautiful rifles, and a treat to shoot.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I had a new Uberti Lightning rifle in 45 Colt. I sold it without ever shooting it. It was a beautiful rifle but I heard and also read in the instructions that they sometimes jammed. The instructions told you how to take it apart and use a little screwdriver to unjam it. Uberti claimed it would hang up when the cartridge left the magazine tube if the action wasn't cycled right. Only way to unjam it was to take it apart.
    I was at the antique show and met a fellow who was a gunsmith for Beretta that imported Uberti at the time. He said the 45 Colt was the main culprit being straight wall. The 44-40 functioned a little smoother because of the slight taper.

I read of a problem, I thought was with the 1873 and I think it was the Uberti but I can't remember what gun or the problem. I think it was something like the long lever stroke on the 1873 making it too slow and there's gunsmiths who alter them. If that's all it is I'm not concerned.
    I have a Uberti 1860 in 44-40 I never shot; I'll probably never shoot the 1873 either. Good guns are better than money in the bank.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Many say the Miroku-made Winchesters are the best quality Winchester has ever had. I've handled some pre-64s that felt terrible where it felt like you were working the lever past boulders, and some that felt excellent and smooth as silk....but one thing I can say is "inconsistent". All the new Winchesters I've held are fantastic and smooth. Uberti may need some fit and finish (unless you get a Cimarron or Taylor-tuned one), but will inevitably smooth out over time like all Uberti guns. I, too, have an 1860 Henry in 44-40 from Uberti (Navy Arms import from early 80s), and my only complaint is the rather heavy trigger. It's not enough to make me change it, but it's a little on the heavy side compared to my other levers, or even my other Uberti guns.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    I have an a Uberti. It’s had trigger job etc.... for CaSS. My factor was price . It was a deal and already worked on so I bought it . Shoots great and is a beautiful rifle

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I don't own either. But, I've held Winchester (new manufacture) and Taylor's. It's close. I'd probably go Taylor's myself. The value and quality seem very high.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    My info is a few years old so take that into consideration. My son and I shot SASS for several years pretty steady. Uberti 1873 was by far the most popular rifle. After market is huge to really hot rod them. And that really played into our needs looking to put ten down range in two seconds. Putting tens of thousands of rounds through them you ether have a gun smith or learn to fix them. I enjoyed doing my own builds and repairs. By the time the Winchesters came out we weren’t in the market for anymore rifles. At the time I felt Ubertis looked better but the Winchesters were better built. Their metal hardening is better and more consistent. If I was going to buy one to shoot around the farm or maybe hunt with I would definitely get the Winchester. Good luck

KyleRogue

Nov 19, 2017
    Westminster
    I've had a Winchester-Miroku for four years, shot hundreds of rounds through it, and never had a problem with it. The metal has held up well with little signs of wear. Toggles, lever and carrier springs show no wear. I had installed a pioneer short stroke kit, but those toggles and firing pin extender soon wore out. I returned it to its original condition and quite frankly see very little difference in lever speed. It's actually smoother without the kit. The original carrier also handles 38spl where as the pioneer carrier jams with 38spl. I also have an original built in 1883 that I fully restored to good firing condition. The Miroku is almost identical to the original design except for the way the hammer spring connects with the hammer.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you are competing at top level SASS , where thousandth of second decides rankings( or fantasize about doing so ) , short stroked '73s are the hot setup .

As an all around using gun , that also doesn't suck for CAS , JMB's better idea is stronger , more durable , and more reliable .

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I've had a Winchester-Miroku for four years, shot hundreds of rounds through it, and never had a problem with it. The metal has held up well with little signs of wear. Toggles, lever and carrier springs show no wear. I had installed a pioneer short stroke kit, but those toggles and firing pin extender soon wore out. I returned it to its original condition and quite frankly see very little difference in lever speed. It's actually smoother without the kit. The original carrier also handles 38spl where as the pioneer carrier jams with 38spl. I also have an original built in 1883 that I fully restored to good firing condition. The Miroku is almost identical to the original design except for the way the hammer spring connects with the hammer.
    This is good to know. I've been seeing a few used 1873's of unknown origin. Not being familiar with them, I think I'll shy away from a used competition gun. I was also considering one from Pioneer but I'm leery of upgrades to tried and true designs.
    Winchesters are scarce and a little more money. I'm now looking for a more deluxe version, color case, pistol grip, checkering but considering most any of them, probably in 44-40 and 357. I've found a plain Winchester carbine I might get. I've been looking at GunBroker and GI. I'm going to start calling around a few gun shops that deal in Winchesters and Uberti to see if anybody has a connection. Anyone having one to sell or trade or sees one in a shop that'll ship, PM me. Thanks everybody.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Go check out Taylor& co. Nice store . It’s a bit of a ride but they have a lot to choose from . Stock and worked on . Google them. Feel they are worth checking out and even maybe give ya some more ideas .sorry they are in Virginia, say 45 minute or so give or take from Harpers Ferry

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Go check out Taylor& co. Nice store . It’s a bit of a ride but they have a lot to choose from . Stock and worked on . Google them. Feel they are worth checking out and even maybe give ya some more ideas .sorry they are in Virginia, say 45 minute or so give or take from Harpers Ferry

That's a good idea. A day trip with the wife (she likes pretty guns) to break up the winter doldrums.
    I'll look into it more, make sure they have some stuff. I think they were at the Outdoor Show in Harrisburg the other year. Thanks.

KyleRogue

Nov 19, 2017
    Westminster
    If I was buying an 1873 just for SASS, then I would get one with an action job from this guy: http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/
    I haven't seen one before, but I suspect they replace the carrier and lever springs with slixsprings or something like that. SASS beats the crap out of these guns. I've heard the Uberties are not nearly as smooth as the Mirokus out of the box without an action job. With an action job they are probably a little faster. Not worth slicking up a miroku 1873. I see more action job parts for Uberties than anything else.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I checked out Taylor, Pioneer and talked to Cody at the Cowboy Shop as well as some other dealers with direct contact to Winchester and Uberti. Pretty much nothing available right now, get on an email list and don't hold your breath. A few reasonable ones on GunBroker and GI I'm romancing.
    I'm leaning towards a Winchester or one of each depending on the configuration. I prefer a short rifle deluxe model or any Winchester. Anyone have one they want to sell or trade PM me.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    If I was buying an 1873 just for SASS, then I would get one with an action job from this guy: http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/
    I haven't seen one before, but I suspect they replace the carrier and lever springs with slixsprings or something like that. SASS beats the crap out of these guns. I've heard the Uberties are not nearly as smooth as the Mirokus out of the box without an action job. With an action job they are probably a little faster. Not worth slicking up a miroku 1873. I see more action job parts for Uberties than anything else.

I talked to Cody a few times. He got a few in last week but he had orders pending since last April. Same thing, get on an email waiting list.
    I asked him what he does to tune them. Basically he polishes all the internal parts and "tunes" the springs. He said he doesn't replace any parts.
    I found a new Winchester plain Jane carbine in 357 and bought it. It should be here next week. I'm still looking for a pretty Uberti. I got the same response again when I asked about different configurations and calibers, the guy just laughed. He said the distributor's salesman will offer one or two guns when they become available. It's up to the distributor how they play favorites. I worked in a gun shop years ago and it was the same way. The biggest retailers and the squeaky wheel got the most grease.
    The Winchester I just bought, the guy put it up for sale on GI, got up from his desk to put it on the rack, sat back down to answer my phone call.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Congratulations on the Winchester. Great rifle . I had a chance to buy 44 Henry and snoozed well ya know it was gone . 700 still kicking myself . Oh well . Think you will be more than happy with the Winchester. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom