• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I have one of each RTG and HKparts. Can’t decide which to use for this reverse stretch build. I’m tempted to do them together with my two bending options, but I’d rather stick to one process at a time.

Both purchased in the last six months. Which one?

Attachments

• B03A4446-920A-4627-8900-F0440223EFE7.jpg
      B03A4446-920A-4627-8900-F0440223EFE7.jpg
      97.8 KB · Views: 390

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Both great flats. I vote HKParts.

That’s where I’m leaning with them both in hand. But from what I’d read, the RRTG flats were supposedly superior at least as of year ago. The finish quality seems to be on the same level - but at the same time grossly different. (I also need to decide between unistrut and the 3D jig - but I have my pneumatic 20T press operational, so I’ve got that going for me :D )

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That’s where I’m leaning with them both in hand. But from what I’d read, the RRTG flats were supposedly superior at least as of year ago. The finish quality seems to be on the same level - but at the same time grossly different. (I also need to decide between unistrut and the 3D jig - but I have my pneumatic 20T press operational, so I’ve got that going for me :D )

Maybe you’ll get complete clarity at some point as well. I just ordered an RTG. Bastard.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    I've only folded RTG flats, but they're primo. No experience with hk parts.

I've got a couple more I want to do. Have the assembly jig, a 20 ton press, tig and mig, and hopefully in a month or two a heated garage on the broadneck peninsula. Just need someone with the bend jig. I could probably host later March or April. Maybe we could coax smdub out for a day. He talked me through my first flat bends.

Haven't been to a party since the pre 2013 ak days- would be a lot of fun.

Teratos, you could get a barreled action together in a day then later get a kit running with a pistol endcap or form 1 down the road.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I've only folded RTG flats, but they're primo. No experience with hk parts.

I've got a couple more I want to do. Have the assembly jig, a 20 ton press, tig and mig, and hopefully in a month or two a heated garage on the broadneck peninsula. Just need someone with the bend jig. I could probably host later March or April. Maybe we could coax smdub out for a day. He talked me through my first flat bends.

Haven't been to a party since the pre 2013 ak days- would be a lot of fun.

Teratos, you could get a barreled action together in a day then later get a kit running with a pistol endcap or form 1 down the road.
    Thanks! The bare minimum I need to do to get it welded Is favorable. I plan to do an integrally suppressed MP5. I don’t want an SD barrel. I have some ideas…..

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I’m on the eastern shore, but my shop (kerosene torpedo heated, so it’s loud) is open. I have tig but no mig (I’m not counting my cheap FCAW) - I’d be lying if I didn’t admit teaching myself to tig was 80% impetus from these kraut space magic projects.

Doc, that will be one nice build! I have a form 1 suppressor on my to do list...

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Thanks! The bare minimum I need to do to get it welded Is favorable. I plan to do an integrally suppressed MP5. I don’t want an SD barrel. I have some ideas…..

Oh man, I'll definitely want to pick your brain. Have most of the parts to do an sd but I've been vacillating between sd pistol and integrally suppressed. Trying to come up with something that I could also adapt to a sterling and uzi.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’m on the eastern shore, but my shop (kerosene torpedo heated, so it’s loud) is open. I have tig but no mig (I’m not counting my cheap FCAW) - I’d be lying if I didn’t admit teaching myself to tig was 80% impetus from these kraut space magic projects.

Doc, that will be one nice build! I have a form 1 suppressor on my to do list...
    There’s gonna be a bill to ban ghost guns this year. Lol.

Oh man, I'll definitely want to pick your brain. Have most of the parts to do an sd but I've been vacillating between sd pistol and integrally suppressed. Trying to come up with something that I could also adapt to a sterling and uzi.
    I’m very interested in reflex designs. I gotta just file the Form 1 and do my AR. If you aren’t familiar with reflex suppressors, Google it. I’m going to index the posterior chamber (I said “posterior”) off the barrel nut. It will mount via a muzzle device. I’m planning to make the blast chamber s small in front of the muzzle, with the aim of forcing the gasses into that large posterior chamber. On an AR, I’ll basically have another entire suppressor tube under the hand guard. I’m using an 8” barrel.

Really bad sketch:

Attachments

• 6438303A-8AE3-400F-8910-821E842849B3.jpg
      6438303A-8AE3-400F-8910-821E842849B3.jpg
      66.1 KB · Views: 152

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    There’s gonna be a bill to ban ghost guns this year. Lol.

I’m very interested in reflex designs. I gotta just file the Form 1 and do my AR. If you aren’t familiar with reflex suppressors, Google it. I’m going to index the posterior chamber (I said “posterior”) off the barrel nut. It will mount via a muzzle device. I’m planning to make the blast chamber s small in front of the muzzle, with the aim of forcing the gasses into that large posterior chamber. On an AR, I’ll basically have another entire suppressor tube under the hand guard. I’m using an 8” barrel.

Really bad sketch:

That’s my entire plan for my first form 1.

The only question is whether to do the Uzi build before or after. :D

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012

Or during, not everyone can use the press at the same time...

Doc, I'm only mildly familiar with reflex designs but my understanding is most of the effectiveness comes from the much tighter bore tolerances available via the second index point and less so from the larger chamber over the barrel. What's your method for getting the baffles that precise?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Wanna do it on the MP5? If you want to do it on the AR, I can probably make you the barrel nut/mount. I haven’t looked much at the MP5s. Should be able to utilize the SD mount and handguard.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Wanna do it on the MP5? If you want to do it on the AR, I can probably make you the barrel nut/mount. I haven’t looked much at the MP5s. Should be able to utilize the SD mount and handguard.

On round two maybe - I’m not going that “big or home” on my first kraut flat! Fortunately, I have those flats stacked almost as deep as Eugene Stoner’s [unfinished] baby.

Plus, one of those flats is intended for 5.56. Not much effort to get a blank turned for 300 AAC.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Or during, not everyone can use the press at the same time...

Doc, I'm only mildly familiar with reflex designs but my understanding is most of the effectiveness comes from the much tighter bore tolerances available via the second index point and less so from the larger chamber over the barrel. What's your method for getting the baffles that precise?

That’s not my understanding, however there may be a different philosophy as many of the reflex designs are used on precision/long range rifles in Europe. The 2 biggest factors in efficacy of a suppressor are volume and number of baffles. In this case I’m going to direct a lot backward. This will cut the gas going into the baffle stack quite significantly. It should be quite effective.

I have a lathe.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    On round two maybe - I’m not going that “big or home” on my first kraut flat! Fortunately, I have those flats stacked almost as deep as Eugene Stoner’s [unfinished] baby.

Plus, one of those flats is intended for 5.56. Not much effort to get a blank turned for 300 AAC.

Oh. Yeah. I’ll need a roller delayed .300 BLK.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    That’s not my understanding, however there may be a different philosophy as many of the reflex designs are used on precision/long range rifles in Europe. The 2 biggest factors in efficacy of a suppressor are volume and number of baffles. In this case I’m going to direct a lot backward. This will cut the gas going into the baffle stack quite significantly. It should be quite effective.

I have a lathe.

That'll certainly do it. Im sure there are different philosophies, like anything, and my research is limited to Dr Dater and also some kinda white papers from dead air. I wish I could cite it, (can't find my links/notes) but they indicated that the volume behind the muzzle is only 20% effective when compared to ahead of the muzzle. I'm in agreement though that in specialized applications reflex can do some amazing things

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That'll certainly do it. Im sure there are different philosophies, like anything, and my research is limited to Dr Dater and also some kinda white papers from dead air. I wish I could cite it, (can't find my links/notes) but they indicated that the volume behind the muzzle is only 20% effective when compared to ahead of the muzzle. I'm in agreement though that in specialized applications reflex can do some amazing things

Yeah, I’ll take 20%. I expect it to be a very low pressure system, which should cut back on gas in the face/schmutz in the upper/BCG. Plus, I’m putting an 8” suppressor in front of the muzzle. I’ll be using 60 degree cone baffles which will be hybrid dual clipped.

It’s a roller delayed blowback gun…using the Scheel system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom