• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    OK, I guess this is my Rambo (kid) coming out of me but I have always wanted a real M203/M79 grenade launcher. Obviously there are some bad guys that screwed those chances up for all of us. Finally I found something that scratches that itch!

I am really not interested in blowing things up, but lobbing heavy objects over long distances sounds down right fun.

i got one of those 37mm launchers a few years ago and they are just stupid. They look cool but you can not do anything but shoot extremely expensive fireworks from them. The problem is the "round" needs to be a self contained cartridge of sorts. The launcher only has a firing pin and it relies entirely on the round for the propellant and whatever payload it might deploy. In most cases you can get a mortar style of firework or bird bomb. They cost somewhere in the range of $10 a shot if you buy them ready to go. Crazy!

The Can Cannon is completely different. It uses your very real AR lower and lunches objects (soda cans) by using a blank cartridge as propellant. This thing is not a toy! It kicks like a shotgun, got bang, launches a soda can over 100 yards, and makes me giggle like a school girl! LOL

Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oDqeiIA2js

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yetUwvr803A

FYI, I would use diet soda. If a can breaks on launch, it will not leave a sticky mess to clean up.

Also, this thing has be in and out of approval from the BATF. As it stands right now, it is completely legal and classified as not a gun. No AOW or short barrel hang-ups.

Attachments

• Can_Cannon_Production.jpg
      Can_Cannon_Production.jpg
      19.6 KB · Views: 1,374
    • MenziesCanCannonM203.1.jpg
      MenziesCanCannonM203.1.jpg
      101.8 KB · Views: 1,715
    Last edited:

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    I'm thinking that would make a great shotgun target launcher.
    Except that 42¢ per blank cartridge. More expensive than the clays. I'd still love one of these, but can only imaging the hassle if stopped by police. Figure 2-3 hrs of explanation, make bail, hire atty, then all charges dropped. Aren't starter pistols/blank guns regulated under MD law? This thing goes on a lower receiver which is a firearm, right?

shovel1966

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, VA
    I just watched 4 YouTube videos on the Can Cannon. Looks to be a pretty fun little device. I'm just not sure where to get the blanks from as I have never purchased any. I saw an article on the Starline Brass website that explained how to "make blanks."

I've seen people launch t-shirts into the crowd at various events using a similar device. Can this Can Cannon launch T-shirts?

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I just watched 4 YouTube videos on the Can Cannon. Looks to be a pretty fun little device. I'm just not sure where to get the blanks from as I have never purchased any. I saw an article on the Starline Brass website that explained how to "make blanks."

I've seen people launch t-shirts into the crowd at various events using a similar device. Can this Can Cannon launch T-shirts?

I got my first bag of 100 blanks straight from X-Products but I have seen them for sale on-line M200 blanks are what you are looking for.

https://xproducts.com/m200-mil-spec-556-blanks-can-cannon-1

There is a section in the owners manual that talks about things shot other than cans. I will attach a picture.

I love the way it starts..."Look, we know you are all going to screw around and misuse our product, so here are some tips..." LOL

Attachments

• 20160519_131849.1.jpg
      20160519_131849.1.jpg
      74.5 KB · Views: 908

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I wonder how it would work with a 22 conversion and nail gun blanks?

That would be interesting. I think that you will find the results underwhelming. The Can Cannon does not use the gas system to cycle the action. You have to pull the charging handle back every time to reload the next blank.

Most .22 conversions use a blow back system. It seems that it may load the next blank for you, but it may not be able to build much pressure to launch the can. It would seem to me that all the gas pressure would be lost by ejecting the .22 blank round.

This is just speculation on my part. I have not tried it. Don't think it would hurt anything. I might try it the next time I take it out.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    22lr chamber pressure: 24k PSI
    223 chamber pressure: 55k PSI

Most .22 conversions use a blow back system. It seems that it may load the next blank for you, but it may not be able to build much pressure to launch the can. It would seem to me that all the gas pressure would be lost by ejecting the .22 blank round.
    I'm not a physicist or a firearms designer, so others should correct me if I'm wrong... but I understand that direct blowback actions are "locked" by the weight/inertia of the bolt. Max pressure is long gone before the case is ejected. I don't believe you'd lose a meaningful amount of pressure from the action.

That said, you'd only get about half the energy as from a 223, so you'd only get, in theory, about half the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom