• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Got general non-parishables things well draw down anyways like pasta, some extra water (have filtering capability), extra pain killers and cold and flu.

Nothing crazy just topping off the usual supplies.

Need booze may use this as an excuse to get some high end bourbons and scotch.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Curious why you dehydrated canned chicken.

Is it to save space or preserve it or both?
    Both. It takes up a lot less shelf space and will last 30 years or more dehydrated and then vacuum sealed in a mason jar.

I always get the frozen bags of mixed vegetables and dehydrate them also. Then when camping a pack of ramen boiled with a handful of dehydrated chicken and a handful of dehydrated vegetables makes a good meal.

If you're serious about preserving food for emergencies, instead of storing dry rice cook it and then dehydrate it. It will last just as long but will rehydrate in lukewarm water. In an emergency if you can't use your stove, boiling rice for 20 minutes is a huge waste of fuel.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    All aboooooaaaaarrrrrdddd.

Next stop Prepperville.

Pay your conductor as he walks by.

Thanks for traveling the Panic Train.

:innocent0

:D
    As any good prepper, I already have all this stuff in stock. I'll just sit back and watch the show.

Only thing I don't have is any

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I love it when people say “I’m coming to your house when SHTF”. It’s like delivery....

Attachments

• 2AC79B3F-E2E3-4526-8D68-E4D10FECAC4B.jpg
      2AC79B3F-E2E3-4526-8D68-E4D10FECAC4B.jpg
      98.7 KB · Views: 298

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    Both. It takes up a lot less shelf space and will last 30 years or more dehydrated and then vacuum sealed in a mason jar.

I always get the frozen bags of mixed vegetables and dehydrate them also. Then when camping a pack of ramen boiled with a handful of dehydrated chicken and a handful of dehydrated vegetables makes a good meal.

If you're serious about preserving food for emergencies, instead of storing dry rice cook it and then dehydrate it. It will last just as long but will rehydrate in lukewarm water. In an emergency if you can't use your stove, boiling rice for 20 minutes is a huge waste of fuel.

what do you use to dehydrate the food with?

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Need to add some canned smoked oysters with those ritz crackers!

Eh, snot on a cracker. No thanks. Would rather have a slice of pepperoni to complement the aged Gouda and Edam wheels I have available. (Admittedly, I will deplete my stores of Capocollo, Sopressata, Mortedalla, and Proscuitto before I subject myself to Pepperoni.)

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    what do you use to dehydrate the food with?
    A Nesco Gardenmaster food dehydrator and jerky maker.

12b57ca1b83155e84065fbe6fac3f302.jpg

Once the food is dehydrated it goes into a mason jar with an oxygen absorber. This jar attachment lets you use a Food Saver vacuum sealer to vacuum seal the mason jar lid. The Food Saver removes most of the oxygen, the O2 absorber gets whatever is left.

36881ea6bac8d2a960cbed931d80129a.jpg

That gives you jars like these, the mixed vegetables and canned chicken.

3158392d2ef34a880df0a3e991f7caf8.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Eldersburg Walmart last night.

All restocked this morning. That store routinely has bare sections in its shelves. It's normal there for many items to be out of stock. But it comes and goes.

Everything seemed normal at both the Eldersburg Walmart and at Martin's this morning.

twan

Oct 30, 2009
    Owings Mills, MD
    I tried to read back a few pages. What are you doing far as exercise & trying to stay healthy during shtf? Some of the items im seeing is really high in sodium & other bad things. Not just treating a issue but to prevent it.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I tried to read back a few pages. What are you doing far as exercise & trying to stay healthy during shtf? Some of the items im seeing is really high in sodium & other bad things. Not just treating a issue but to prevent it.

Even if you are bugging-in your physical activity should increase, ie chopping wood, hauling water. If not, aerobic exercise should even out any sodium increase.

Not sure what "other bad things" you mean. Caloric intake could always be adjusted up or down. Other than canned food, including MREs, food prepared for long term storage tends to have less fat/cholesterol I think because it gets removed to prevent spoilage.

twan

Oct 30, 2009
    Owings Mills, MD
    Even if you are bugging-in your physical activity should increase, ie chopping wood, hauling water. If not, aerobic exercise should even out any sodium increase.

Not sure what "other bad things" you mean. Caloric intake could always be adjusted up or down. Other than canned food, including MREs, food prepared for long term storage tends to have less fat/cholesterol I think because it gets removed to prevent spoilage.
    Thanks

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    A Nesco Gardenmaster food dehydrator and jerky maker.

12b57ca1b83155e84065fbe6fac3f302.jpg

Once the food is dehydrated it goes into a mason jar with an oxygen absorber. This jar attachment lets you use a Food Saver vacuum sealer to vacuum seal the mason jar lid. The Food Saver removes most of the oxygen, the O2 absorber gets whatever is left.

36881ea6bac8d2a960cbed931d80129a.jpg

That gives you jars like these, the mixed vegetables and canned chicken.

3158392d2ef34a880df0a3e991f7caf8.jpg

Where did you get the O2 absorbers?

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    A hot seller in Korea: UVC light disinfectant devices for disinfecting phones and masks, etc. Also alcohol pads are good to clean a phone.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Where did you get the O2 absorbers?

eBay. Amazon sells them also. Make sure that what you get is an originally sealed, brand new pack of them. They are generally sold in lots of 100, but people will break open those lots and repackage them and then resell them. When the original lot gets opened, who knows how long they were exposed to air before being repackaged? There are also different sizes of them for different storage capacities. Mine are good for up to half a gallon packed tightly in a mason jar. You can get them sized for 5 gallon mylar bags in food grade buckets, or I could use ten of the ones i have in a 5 gallon container.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom