• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Forive me, I'm still learning, Two questions
    1.) Suppose you bought a Wilson Little Wil antenna for both home and car use. When inside you want to locate the antenna 30' away from the CB radio. Little Wil only comes with 15' of cable. Can you add a section of cable to this antenna? What type and connections? I have the Cobra 29LCD Classic?
    2.) We've talked about the SWR and power meters the last couple of days. Can a meter such as the types we discussed be used for a Scanner only receiver such as the Uniden BCT15X? Can the Wilson Little Lil be used for the BCT15X? Connections might be different. Haven't checked yet. Lots of questions here this morning.
    Side Note: Past saturday, I heard someone talking from Jacksonville FL loud and clear and others here in Bluefield WV were talking to him. Great for this to happen. Sunny day. Must have been some skipping going on.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Mismatched antennas can damage the radio upon transmitting . A perfectly matched antenna might recieve slightly better , but no harmful downside .

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    From my limited knowledge, adding an extra 15 feet of cable (and a barrel connector) will result in signal loss.

Not so much on CB/11 meters. Below 1 meter wavelength (UHF, SHF, microwave), feed line length loss becomes more pronounced.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    What is it telling me when I touch the CB set (Cobra 29LTD) and the SWR rests one 1? If I release my hand the SWR rests at 2 or a trace less. My CB is used as a base, not mobile.

I did read this: "The reason your swr drops when you touch your antenna, is because you are providing an rf ground by touching it." But I'm touching the radio, not the antenna.

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    What is it telling me when I touch the CB set (Cobra 29LTD) and the SWR rests one 1? If I release my hand the SWR rests at 2 or a trace less.

I did read this: "The reason your swr drops when you touch your antenna, is because you are providing an rf ground by touching it." But I'm touching the radio, not the antenna.

I'd think:
    1-Chassis ground is connected to rf ground.
    2-you are a pretty good ground. Lol
    3-your antenna isn't well matched.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Can you use a portable SWR/power meter on a Cobra 29LTD CB radio that already has an internal SWR meter?
    The portable Meter has 3 range selections: 20W, 200W, 2000W Which setting should I use to check SWR?
    It also has 2 modes: AVG and PEP. Which setting ahould I use?

I ask because I don't want to damage the portable meter.
    Thanks!

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Can you use a portable SWR/power meter on a Cobra 29LTD CB radio that already has an internal SWR meter?
    The portable Meter has 3 range selections: 20W, 200W, 2000W Which setting should I use to check SWR?
    It also has 2 modes: AVG and PEP. Which setting ahould I use?

I ask because I don't want to damage the portable meter.
    Thanks!

You can use the external SWR meter without fear. Just leave the Cobra radio's own SWR meter switch set in the same position as you would during normal transmitting and receiving. You won't be using or paying any attention to that particular meter.

Since a CB radio's AM output is limited to 4 watts, as opposed to a CB operating on SSB, which is 12 watts peak envelope power, your external meter will work just fine on the lowest 20W setting. In fact, that switch selects the power output measuring function of the meter, not the SWR function, which is a measure of power reflected back from an improperly tuned antenna.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    You can use the external SWR meter without fear. Just leave the Cobra radio's own SWR meter switch set in the same position as you would during normal transmitting and receiving. You won't be using or paying any attention to that particular meter.

Since a CB radio's AM output is limited to 4 watts, as opposed to a CB operating on SSB, which is 12 watts peak envelope power, your external meter will work just fine on the lowest 20W setting. In fact, that switch selects the power output measuring function of the meter, not the SWR function, which is a measure of power reflected back from an improperly tuned antenna.

Otherwise known as the 20 watt range where phased plasma rifles operate.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Otherwise known as the 20 Giga-watt range where phased plasma rifles operate.
    F.I.F.Y.

Use your radio in AM mode when checking SWR.

While SWR can indeed be groped with a meter, those Nano VNA devices are actually what one needs to see the antenna system for what it is. Well worth getting an inexpensive one and enduring the steep, but very short, learning curve. They are especially useful for when one expands their radio arsenal beyond 4 watts and into other frequencies.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV

I had to set the external SWR/power meter to 200W, before I could get the needle to move over (just below 1.5, but not calibrated yet). At 20W, needle would not move.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I had to set the external SWR/power meter to 200W, before I could get the needle to move over (just below 1.5, but not calibrated yet). At 20W, needle would not move.

What is the make and model of the SWR meter?

I have a couple of dual-purpose SWR/power meters. Each will only perform one function at a time. The meter in front of me now has two, two position slide switches. One switch is used to select the function, to either measure power or SWR. The other switch is also a two position slide switch, but it serves two purposes, depending on whether I'm measuring SWR ratio or power output.

When the first switch is set to measure power, the second switch is used to select the power range that the meter will measure, in this case up to 10 or up to 100 watts.

If the first switch is set to measure SWR, that same second switch is now used to switch between forward and reflected. You set that switch to FWD, key the mic and, using the potentiometer knob on the meter, tune the needle on the meter to the "SET" mark. Now slide the switch from FWD to REF and, again while keying the mic, read the SWR ratio as indicated on the meter. That's it.

When I'm measuring SWR, that second switch has nothing to do with selecting the power range of the meter.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    JohnnuE: What a nice explanation. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

I have a Radio Shack model 21-534 that many people like. It has 3 switches:
    1.) Range - 20w, 200w, and 2000w
    2.) Function - power, cal, and swr
    3.) Mode - avg and pep
    Also, it has the calibration knob for tuning.
    Just got it, and tinkering with it for first few times.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

3.) Mode - avg and pep

If it didn't come with a user manual, here is one online: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/608953/Radio-Shack-21-534.html?page=6#manual

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

3.) Mode - avg and pep

My pleasure, OT.

As posters mention in other threads from time-to-time, there are many folks here with expertise (or useful knowledge) in various areas who are willing to share.

Regarding CB's and radio in general, I got started in 1974.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I use an 18' RG8x coax cable between my antenna and CB set. To hook up my Radio Shack SWR/Power meter, I assumed that I should use the same coax cable (RG8x) between my SWR meter and the CB, so I ordered a 3' one from Amazon and it is on the way. Subsequently, I learn that the RS manual says to use coax R58U cable between the CB and the meter.

Do I need to order a R58U cable, and send back the RG8x cable? Before I purchased the latter cable, it said that it could be used between CB and meter.
    Thanks!

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I use an 18' RG8x coax cable between my antenna and CB set. To hook up my Radio Shack SWR/Power meter, I assumed that I should use the same coax cable (RG8x) between my SWR meter and the CB, so I ordered a 3' one from Amazon and it is on the way. Subsequently, I learn that the RS manual says to use coax R58U cable between the CB and the meter.

Do I need to order a R58U cable, and send back the RG8x cable? Before I purchased the latter cable, it said that it could be used between CB and meter.
    Thanks!

Don't sweat it. It's three feet of 52 ohm impedance coax. RG58U, RG8X, RG8U, etc. It's the impedance that matters. You're good to go.

You do not want to use RG6, RG59 or other 75 ohm impedance coax, which is commonly used in CATV and and other television applications. It's the impedance that matters. You need 52 ohm, not 75 ohm cable.

The various 52 and 75 ohm cables have different efficiencies. RG8 has less loss than RG58, but that matters most for transmitting, not receiving. And we're talking about losses over dozens of feet to a hundred of feet or more. Also, the thicker cables (RG8 vs. RG58) do better at higher frequencies. CB radio is at the really low end regarding frequencies. I went with large diameter coax when I'm trying to receive signals in the mid to high 100's of megahertz range. CB is a lowly 27 MHz.

Your cable is fine for this use.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    One other tip do not coil up extra cable as it will effect your SWR's as well. If you can, I would recommend that you run your cable from where you are mounting it to your meter, if you are going to keep your meter installed full time by using just enough cable without any extra and cut off the extra and solider on the male PL259 connector. When I had one installed in my Dodge Shadow, I did drill a hold in the center of my trunk, ran my cable nice and neat under the carpet in the center of the vehicle. Of course I had to remove the back seat and undo the drivers seat but that allowed me run the cable down the center and keep it away from the wiring harness that ran along the side of the vehicle as well. I used RG58U cable and I do my own solider also. I was 6 when I found out that a butter knife can be used as a flat blade screwdriver as well. For some reason mom was not happy with me when I took the door knob off the door to the basement and front door...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom