• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Sound advise Johnny E and motorcoachdoug. Will try to apply it.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I just got a President McKinley USA 40 Channel CB Radio AM/SSB/PA 12/24V Weather Compact. What do I use to power this CB as a home base CB radio.

I use a Pyramid Universal Compact Bench Power Supply - 2.5 Amp Linear Regulated Home Lab Benchtop AC-to-DC 12V Converter w/13.8 Volt DC 115V AC 50 Watt Power Input, screw type terminals - Pyramid P53KX to power a Cobra 29LTD Classic that I've had for a while.

I thought I read that the President President McKinley can use a 5 watt, but not sure. Anyway because Mckinley is 12/24V, I'm not sure what to order to power it. Any thoughts/ideas?

PS- Right Channel Radios made this comment, "A 5-amp power supply works great for powering a 12-volt CB radio. You can pair this power supply with any mobile CB radio, including popular models such as the Cobra 29 LTD, President McKinley SSB, and the Galaxy 959 SSB." I don't know what to do about the 24V aspect of the McKinley. So, I'm confused

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    I just got a President McKinley USA 40 Channel CB Radio AM/SSB/PA 12/24V Weather Compact. What do I use to power this CB as a home base CB radio.

I use a Pyramid Universal Compact Bench Power Supply - 2.5 Amp Linear Regulated Home Lab Benchtop AC-to-DC 12V Converter w/13.8 Volt DC 115V AC 50 Watt Power Input, screw type terminals - Pyramid P53KX to power a Cobra 29LTD Classic that I've had for a while.

I thought I read that the President President McKinley can use a 5 watt, but not sure. Anyway because Mckinley is 12/24V, I'm not sure what to order to power it. Any thoughts/ideas?

PS- Right Channel Radios made this comment, "A 5-amp power supply works great for powering a 12-volt CB radio. You can pair this power supply with any mobile CB radio, including popular models such as the Cobra 29 LTD, President McKinley SSB, and the Galaxy 959 SSB." I don't know what to do about the 24V aspect of the McKinley. So, I'm confused

It can run off 12v or 24v. A 13.8v/2.5a dc supply should work fine for receive. This supply is too underrated for 50w transmit, however.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    It can run off 12v or 24v. A 13.8v/2.5a dc supply should work fine for receive. This supply is too underrated for 50w transmit, however.

I was thinking your way, too, but came across this one on Amazon:

“Pyramid PS9KX Universal Compact Bench Power Supply-5 Amp Linear Regulated Home Lab Benchtop Converter w/ 13.8 Volt DC 115V AC 70 Watt Input, Screw Type Terminal, 12V Car Cigarette Lighter”

It is 5 amp and also has a cigarette jack, so you can either use the terminals or the jack.
    I just have to figure out what is the best 12V cigarette adapter to use with this Pyramid model and the President McKinley CB radio.

Edit: I just found a never-used Pro Trucker 12 Volt Power Cord with Lighter Plug for CB Radios (PTCB3AP) that I had planned to use with my Cobra 29LTD, but it also looks like I can use it with the above Pyramid converter and the President McKinley. Looks compatible to me.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    You knew I'd have another question. My curiosity gets to me.
    For a CB radio, I am using a Pyramid PS3KX power ac/dc converter. The specs say it is 2.5 watts constant and 3.0 surge. That might be okay for receiving, but what about transmitting? Would I be under powered for transmitting? Should I get a higher wattage Pyramid?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You knew I'd have another question. My curiosity gets to me.
    For a CB radio, I am using a Pyramid PS3KX power ac/dc converter. The specs say it is 2.5 watts constant and 3.0 surge. That might be okay for receiving, but what about transmitting? Would I be under powered for transmitting? Should I get a higher wattage Pyramid?

That power supply will be fine for receive, but not enough power for transmit. You need a minimum 5A 12vDC power supply, to be able to transmit without issue.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I notice that some SWR power meters have specs that say 52 ohms. Others say 50 ohms. My coax is 50 ohm. Should I stay away from 52 ohm CB radio SWR power meters?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I notice that some SWR power meters have specs that say 52 ohms. Others say 50 ohms. My coax is 50 ohm. Should I stay away from 52 ohm CB radio SWR power meters?
    The difference is not meaningful. No worries.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    The difference is not meaningful. No worries.

Another question regarding SWR power meters. One of them has air dialectric SO-239 connectors/terminals. Will that standard PL-259 male connectors work with this type of SO-239?

Thanks!

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Another question regarding SWR power meters. One of them has air dialectric SO-239 connectors/terminals. Will that standard PL-259 male connectors work with this type of SO-239?

Thanks!

Yup. PL-259 is the male connector, and SO-239 is the female. At CB frequencies and power, the differences between dielectrics is not relevant. Air, foam, teflon or other plastic, no matter. The two connectors fit like hand in glove.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    All PL-259s will work with all SO-239s. (Assuming a minimum level of quality, of course.)

There really isn't such a thing as a true "air dielectric" SO-239, it's just a way to make it cheaper by using less plastic.
    And maybe a little marketing: "Ooh, we have AIR dielectric!" :D

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Anybody have any experience with the Uniden BCT15X scanner (analog)? Using Freescan, I programmed a good number of police/fire/public safety/highway/hospitals etc. frequencies using Radio Reference data. Out of the approx. 50 frequencies that I entered, I only get one that talks, that is, a hospital. When the set is scanning, there is no background noise, but when it stops on a frequency, all that I hear is static. I used RR conventional data, not trunked.
    The only way I can get the static low is to turn the volume down, then it makes it difficult to hear the one hospital frequency that I hear.
    Any ideas?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Anybody have any experience with the Uniden BCT15X scanner (analog)? Using Freescan, I programmed a good number of police/fire/public safety/highway/hospitals etc. frequencies using Radio Reference data. Out of the approx. 50 frequencies that I entered, I only get one that talks, that is, a hospital. When the set is scanning, there is no background noise, but when it stops on a frequency, all that I hear is static. I used RR conventional data, not trunked.
    The only way I can get the static low is to turn the volume down, then it makes it difficult to hear the one hospital frequency that I hear.
    Any ideas?

That "static" is digital voice, either P25 Phase 1, or P25 Phase 2. You need a scanner that will receive both, the BCT15X does neither from the specifications I found.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    That "static" is digital voice, either P25 Phase 1, or P25 Phase 2. You need a scanner that will receive both, the BCT15X does neither from the specifications I found.

Yes, the noise like a pulsating idling truck.
    I added some NS railroad frequencies and could hear some talk.

Almost all with continuous static are police, fire, or public safety. I guess I’ll have to remove a few at a time until I no longer get the static. Thanks!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yes, the noise like a pulsating idling truck.
    I added some NS railroad frequencies and could hear some talk.

Almost all with continuous static are police, fire, or public safety. I guess I’ll have to remove a few at a time until I no longer get the static. Thanks!

Railroad is going to NXDN (NexDen) for digital voice, it is a roughly $50 upgrade to current digital scanners.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have noticed that marine VHF and railroad VHF have some overlap. At first I thought this was a bad idea and then I realized if there was a bridge accident it could be a good idea. If railroad goes full digital they lose that bridge accident interactive communication ability. Also if they use digital on the overlap frequencies it could be a very bad thing for emergency marine communication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom