• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Found out a friend, of a friend, who bought a handgun 3 or 4 years ago, recently got a medical marijuana inhaler/vape pen, or something like that. He has Leukemia.

I looked at Bolts Rock's link, and while it addresses not disclosing this on a 4473, or Maryland paperwork to buy a gun, what if one already owns the gun?

Should he just sell it, or send it out of state/his possession? Will MSP do records checks? He does live in Maryland.
    Legally, he signed paperwork acknowledging that he knows it's illegal to use illegal drugs and own a firearm. He could get in trouble.

Will they ever find out? Who knows... but I wouldn't want to be the test case.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I would think they have one or two officers on that side of gun ownership . And once they hit a gun owner name with a MM card they will get a list together and get the guns .
    No Proof of that but knowing this state i am fairly sure i am correct . May not be this year maybe next . IMHO

MSP cannot and dos not have access to DHMH records, the way they get the info is by sending an e-mail to DHMH with a copy of the release from the person having the background check done on. (i.e. HQL, handgun purchase, W&C permit, etc.)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    MSP cannot and dos not have access to DHMH records, the way they get the info is by sending an e-mail to DHMH with a copy of the release from the person having the background check done on. (i.e. HQL, handgun purchase, W&C permit, etc.)

How long is the release good for?

Could they use a release you signed last year? Or 5 years ago?

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    We just had a very long angry thread about it. Unlike the guy who is upset over the response, at least my response gave you the answer.

^^Agree. My response to the OP however would have been to do a ****_ng search (on common topics). We as a group have too many enablers. Enabling is not teaching or helping, it's doing all the work for someone, like parents who do their kids homework for them

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    ^^Agree. My response to the OP however would have been to do a ****_ng search (on common topics). We as a group have too many enablers. Enabling is not teaching or helping, it's doing all the work for someone, like parents who do their kids homework for them

:thumbsup:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Is one able to rescind or cancel a release signed years ago?

You can rescind a release at any time, per the MSP. If you do happen to rescind a release you just signed, before the process is complete, you most certainly will be denied.

But, since the release is one time use, for the application it accompanies, they can't use one from say 5 years ago.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...singDivision/Firearms/WearandCarryPermit.aspx

Under who should apply see number 4 which says.

Is not presently an alcoholic, addict, or habitual user of a controlled dangerous substance unless under legitimate medical direction;

I am not a lawyer but it looks like medical marijuana is ok. To me.

Nobody

At the state level, yes, it is the federal level that is the prohibitor. If you have a MMC, MSP will deny you based on federal law for a handgun purchase. If you buy and rifle/shotgun, the 4473 covers the MMC being a prohibiting factor.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Everybody yell at me for asking this, but someone please give me the short answer. I will do my homework... or have my attorney do it as well. But I will start here.

Completely Hypothetical:
    If a fella a friend I once knew, or not really knew, but spoke to once and he posed the Hypothetical question really, but
    If this fella has obtained a Maryland medical marijuana card, "MMMC". The same fella later applies, lets say in April 2021, for a Maryland concealed carry permit. The fella is reasonable confident that as a business owner, he should be eligible, not only Concealed permit but will automatically be provided a HQL, lets assume all other requirements are in the green, will it and/or can it be denied solely because of the MMMC?

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    At the state level, yes, it is the federal level that is the prohibitor. If you have a MMC, MSP will deny you based on federal law for a handgun purchase. If you buy and rifle/shotgun, the 4473 covers the MMC being a prohibiting factor.

This section is for wear and carry, i don't get it.
    I can be on Percocet. An opiate but not medical marijuana.

Nobody

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Everybody yell at me for asking this, but someone please give me the short answer. I will do my homework... or have my attorney do it as well. But I will start here.

Completely Hypothetical:
    If a fella a friend I once knew, or not really knew, but spoke to once and he posed the Hypothetical question really, but
    If this fella has obtained a Maryland medical marijuana card, "MMMC". The same fella later applies, lets say in April 2021, for a Maryland concealed carry permit. The fella is reasonable confident that as a business owner, he should be eligible, not only Concealed permit but will automatically be provided a HQL, lets assume all other requirements are in the green, will it and/or can it be denied solely because of the MMMC?

Yes, it can be denied due to the MMC, Maryland has yet to remove MJ as a prohibitor from owning/possessing a firearm, and the questions on use of prohibited drugs is the same for the W&C and the HQL.

Now, if SB190 passes the House (It passed the Senate yesterday), then a MMC becomes a non-issue at the state level.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This section is for wear and carry, i don't get it.
    I can be on Percocet. An opiate but not medical marijuana.

Nobody

One is not a schedule 1 illegal drug, one is. It really is that simple (and that stupid) at the federal level.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Unlike opiates, Federal law does not recognize any legitimate medical use for marijuana.

Until federal law changes, this should be the end of the conversation, right? :shrug:

I'm still waiting for a prescription for a therapeutic machine gun...strictly medicinal, of course, so forget the NFA ;)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Until federal law changes, this should be the end of the conversation, right? :shrug:

I'm still waiting for a prescription for a therapeutic machine gun...strictly medicinal, of course, so forget the NFA ;)

I think I can get suppressors covered under an FSA if we can document any degree of hearing loss.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

Wrong. These threads NEVER die. More perpetual life and resurrections than the bible

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom