• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    there is a learning curve, but once you figure it out, it's great.

Why would they discourage it?

There is some merit.

When you use a loader is "can" dent the casings which can lead to failures to feed, and chamber.

Its also a good idea to physically examine each round as you load them, and with speed loaders, people are less inclined to inspect the rounds.

I still think LULAS as great, but IMO, people should not use loading assist devices to load mags for defensive guns. Range use only for me.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The only thing remotely hard about it is making sure it's not facing backwards. Other than that, it's about as hard as figuring out how to use a spoon to eat soup :lol2:

The spoon thing. You have not met my son.:D

If you go a range where you cannot have loaded mags, these are a must. I'm a member at Freestate, so range fees do not matter. I just want to shoot.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I use the AR and the pistol version. If you're loading longish .223 ammunition in a mag, it really helps keep the tips of the ammunition from dragging on the front of the magazine. And since I'm using standard length .40 ammunition in my P16-40, it really helps keep the rounds lined up and on the back of the magazine.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    The StripLULA is great for AR mags, because it works with both loose rounds and stripper clips.

Where it really shines is during classes, when you only have a few minutes to refill everything between drills.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I thought I'd update this thread. I went to the range a couple of weeks ago with a friend who had a pistol mag loader - an HKS Model 941. I was able to use it on my Sig P226 mags as well as his Beretta mags, and my thumbs were thankful because I'd never had a mag loader before.

I bought one for myself, (the HKS 941) but I also got a Maglula UpLULA mag loader, as well as the guide for single stack mags. I've got to say, between the two, the UpLULA is the business. It's by far faster and more efficient, and does a better job IMO.

The HKS loader has its advantages in that you don't have to set the magazine on a table - the whole thing can be held in your hand, but you still have to use your thumb, and it's not as fast, but if you don't have a table or something solid to put your mag on, the UpLULA has a limitation there.

If anyone knows of any mag loader that's more efficient or easier to use than the UpLULA, I'm all ears.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I use uplula for all my calibers. My arthritic old hands thank me.

Conaso

May 17, 2014
    Alexandria, VA
    What kind of BS is that? That would piss me off.

Sounds like a place that inspects the ammo to ensure AP, incendiary, steel core (M855), etc., are not being used within an indoor range. We had a range that was destroyed and closed because FD determined someone used some incendiary rounds. Smouldered overnight, then caught fire, total loss.. The owner fought a big battle to open a new range and just gave up.

Their court, their ball, their rules. I don't blame them. I've seen the results of what AP does to metal target stands and a .416 Rigby can do to wooden baffles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom