• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    I started this just about a year ago from a Dunlap Woodcrafts Isaac Haines kit. I put a lot of thought and tried several rifles to get familiar with their characteristics before deciding on the basics. It's a .50 with a 38" Rice barrel, Chambers Deluxe Siler lock and Davis triggers. It weighs in right at 7 lbs. It gives me the combination of barrel length, balance, weight, and overall versatility for caliber that I like best.

I used pictures of several Woodbury style rifles as inspiration in finding designs and trim that I liked, most particularly this one from Steve Davis (Steve Davis) and this one from Ian Pratt (Google Image Result for https://www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com/uploads/6/0/4/7/60477191/copy-2-of-img-3516-1_orig.jpg). Now, they're both master builders, and this is only my second build. So, I'll just say that I did the best I could and accept that execution of many small details is less-than-awesome. But, the while turned out greater than the sum of the parts, thankfully.

For the finish, I did AF followed by red mahogany stain and then rubbed back and sanded in 1 coat of tru oil and hand rubbed in 2 more. The metal is done with Birchwood Casey Brass Black.

Thanks to several folks here who gave me great guidance on shaping the stock, trigger issues, and patchbox closure. I might try my hand someday at engraving, but for now I'm just happy it's ready to go.

Not sure why the pics are sideways....

Attachments

• 20211114_095711.jpg
      20211114_095711.jpg
      208.6 KB · Views: 368
    • 20211114_095718.jpg
      20211114_095718.jpg
      220.8 KB · Views: 365
    • 20211114_095804.jpg
      20211114_095804.jpg
      218.7 KB · Views: 361
    • 20211114_095820.jpg
      20211114_095820.jpg
      214.1 KB · Views: 361
    • 20211114_095746.jpg
      20211114_095746.jpg
      197.3 KB · Views: 339

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    The toe plate is separate. Just a short one. I didn't want something too intense. I probably have about 100-125 hours or so in it. I didn't really keep track, but it took a while. These aren't really "kits" in the conventional sense. More like a box of parts that need refining.

Unless you get a Kibler.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The toe plate is separate. Just a short one. I didn't want something too intense. I probably have about 100-125 hours or so in it. I didn't really keep track, but it took a while. These aren't really "kits" in the conventional sense. More like a box of parts that need refining.

Unless you get a Kibler.

When I used to build them I got hooked on the kits at first. I found them at flea markets gun shows and what not. Mostly incorrectly started and then left incomplete. Often needing more work than was worth it.

Later on I carved a few stocks from a couple pieces of walnut I got from a guy cleaning a barn out in Harford County when I was on the job one day.
    The first one, after I band sawed the blank out I was shitting bricks drilling the ram rod hole the length of the fore stock but I figured it out how to do it after reading one of Dale Story's books.

I still have one around here that I never finished. I was looking at it a few months ago thinking about finishing it.
    It's a flinter in .45 built up off of miscellaneous parts from things I had collected over the other projects.

Theirs a hell of a lot of learning opportunity and enjoyment that comes from creating something like that.
    And a ton of time and ingenuity but also lots of satisfaction to go with it.
    Thanks for sharing your project, it looks great and certainly something to be proud of it looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom