• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    How do you like it?

Thanks to smigit2002 for giving me idea to spend more money!

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have a ruger sr556 and love it. It's a bit heavier than a DI AR for obvious reasons. It's a different feel when firing too due to the metal on metal contact. Clean up is way easier. Most of the fouling stays in the gas block vs being blown back into the bcg. The ruger bcg is stainless steel. I pretty much just wipe it down.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I have a Primary Weapons Systems MK116 with a Wylde 16" barrel. It is a long stroke piston. I love it. Got it in 2013 from Tombstone Tactical. My first AR actually. It is my me-me pic. Has a keymod rail. It is not really heavy at all. A little less than 7 pounds empty

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i have the lwrc m6a3dmr. with the big quad rail on it, it's a little heavy and clunky. i've shot a bunch of 3 gun with it (now using a jp, so it's my backup rifle) and absolutely ZERO malfunctions other than once when i (not paying attention) had the ejection port tight against a barricade. chamber/bolt is def cleaner vs my DI guns.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    its ok. A little on the front heavy side. I dont think that its truly less gassy suppressed. Maybe its cleaner. not sure. Blowback happens regardless of the platform so my mags get filthy. If you ask me if its more reliable, I have never had a failure on any of my ARs. About the same accuracy. I look at the SIG every once in a while. Pistons seem more pricey, so i keep rejecting them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have an Adams Arms 5.45x39 upper. Only complaint is the tendency of the spigot and faucet to fuse themselves together, so you want to pull them for cleaning after shooting. Not sure if that's a 5.45 thing or not, but it does make me appreciate long piston systems a bit more.

I also have a couple MPXs (a G2 and a G3) for USPSA/IDPA PCC, but that's not quite an AR system. I know there is a lot of chatter about them being unreliable, but with the exception of a single mag with a weak spring (since fixed), mine have run flawlessly with reasonable cleaning regimens.

Given the funding and opportunity, I could see committing the MCX uppers.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most conversions of DI ARs are trash, at minimum they give more recoil and a puff of hot gas under the handguards, and usually create problems. There are a few AR-ish designs that do run well, and may offere some benefits. The PWS is probably my favorite, especially if you run suppressed, it's long stroke gas, smoother than most of the short stroke systems, good gas control and nice adjustable block accessible in a cutout on top of the handguard.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    As others said - Sig, LWRC, PWS and others make a reliable piston system. Although I don't own a LWRC, I know they're reliable. What I do own, I've not had any trouble with. Some may claim they're not as reliable or could unlock the bolt early but I'll leave that argument alone.

Personally I became interested in piston systems after purchasing my first can.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I’m interested in an H&K 416. One day.
    Except for the marine corps, Mil and gov are dumping theirs. Maybe they will get broken up and sold off as parts kits. I know I was happy to be rid of mine.

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I run T91s and they got me into Taiwanese military history. Did you know they were running piston ARs nearly 30 years before HK unveiled the 416, AND they came up with the drop-in trigger before the United States, AND it was a 4-position selector to boot?

Anyways despite the T91 upper being all proprietary parts, not free-floated, and having some QC issues, they shoot soft for a piston, can achieve 1moa out of the box with proper ammo, and they're stupidly simple to clean and you don't even need to take apart the handguards to get to the gas system.
    They're also a head-turner at the range when people see what looks like a SIG 550 on an AR lower.

Rebel59

Hater of Kings and Queens
    Apr 8, 2018
    Went fishing
    I run T91s and they got me into Taiwanese military history. Did you know they were running piston ARs nearly 30 years before HK unveiled the 416, AND they came up with the drop-in trigger before the United States, AND it was a 4-position selector to boot?

Anyways despite the T91 upper being all proprietary parts, not free-floated, and having some QC issues, they shoot soft for a piston, can achieve 1moa out of the box with proper ammo, and they're stupidly simple to clean and you don't even need to take apart the handguards to get to the gas system.
    They're also a head-turner at the range when people see what looks like a SIG 550 on an AR lower.

I was waiting to see if anyone else has gotten into these. I ended up building three of them. T91's have become my favorites, so easy to clean, will eat anything, accurate, and have the Mil. Spec. parts available if you wish to change things around.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017

Where do you find T91 upper that I can use for my AR15 lower? Or I have to buy a T91 complete rifle?

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I have a Ruger SR762 piston AR10 and it has very reliable, accurate and no issues to clean/maintain.

I also have an Adam's Arms lightweight AR15 upper I used to use for 3-Gun...very accurate, but the gas regulator setting moved on me a few times before the start of a stage and I had to bolt action the upper to finish the stage. Accuracy is great from it, but no way am I ever relying on it for dependability

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    According to a sales guy working at TMGN, DI is a thing of the past and is being phased out. The industry is headed piston. This was a few months ago.

I didn't realize piston was growing so fast. Interesting info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom