• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is not the water cooler where ad hominem attacks abound. Post links with a brief synopsis please.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/youngkin-tests-activists-patience-as-he-pushes-abortion-and-guns-aside/2021/11/25/f3d38052-496f-11ec-95dc-5f2a96e00fa3_story.html

Didn’t have the issue with the link, until I posted here. Let me cut & paste a few paragraphs

RICHMOND — Gov.-elect Glenn Youngkin says he would “entertain” certain antiabortion legislation next year, but it is not part of his “day one” agenda. Gun rights appear to be on the back burner, too.

The Republican, who launched his bid for Virginia’s highest office promising to “protect life before birth and after birth” and to roll back a slew of gun-control laws, is focused on other matters as he prepares to assume the governorship on Jan. 15.

Youngkin was vocal about abortion and guns early in his campaign, when he was seeking the Republican nomination, then downplayed those polarizing issues after he’d won the nod and begun courting moderate suburbanites. But some conservative activists hoped — if not expected — that he would put those causes front and center again once elected.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    From the Washington Compost... what would you expect?

Would expect the Governor elect to stand-by his pledges during the campaign. He also was outspoken on the mandate, a few weeks back, he specifically stated, he will leave the decision up to local jurisdiction. Which is contrary to his campaign

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I think its important to note here as well, Baltimore city actually moved toward Trump in 2020. The GOP can not just ignore those core "democrat" areas. There are definitely people in those areas of all demographics that are fed up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Smeone with deep pockets should fund an advertising campaign of putting up signs in inner cities. Have slogans lambasting the Dems for wasting money instead of using it to clean up the streets/schools in the area.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Youngkin was vocal about abortion and guns early in his campaign, when he was seeking the Republican nomination, then downplayed those polarizing issues after he’d won the nod and begun courting moderate suburbanites. But some conservative activists hoped — if not expected — that he would put those causes front and center again once elected.

Jeez... let the man get in office and start legislating before you attack him for goodness sake. Maybe you'll be right, but maybe not. Lets see what happens before we start building the gallows...

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    RICHMOND — Gov.-elect Glenn Youngkin says he would “entertain” certain antiabortion legislation next year, but it is not part of his “day one” agenda. Gun rights appear to be on the back burner, too.
    The Republican, who launched his bid for Virginia’s highest office promising to “protect life before birth and after birth” and to roll back a slew of gun-control laws, is focused on other matters as he prepares to assume the governorship on Jan. 15.

sounds a lot like the useless fat bastard we have here in MD

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/youngkin-tests-activists-patience-as-he-pushes-abortion-and-guns-aside/2021/11/25/f3d38052-496f-11ec-95dc-5f2a96e00fa3_story.html

Didn’t have the issue with the link, until I posted here. Let me cut & paste a few paragraphs

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I am tired voting for someone who in the primaries spouted one thing and then when in office, shit on us.. as larry did to us.

The fact of the matter is that he would have a hard time making radical changes to the laws passed by the previous administration without a larger majority in the house and control the senate. I don’t see enough support among republicans in the house and senate to push through a repeal of either red flag or background checks on all transfers.

Maybe they could make some changes to red flag so that they cannot be used vindictively to remove firearms. One
    Other option would be to leave the background check law in place but find some way to fund some online system where face to face sales and transfers can still occur as long as the seller does their own background check.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    The fact of the matter is that he would have a hard time making radical changes to the laws passed by the previous administration without a larger majority in the house and control the senate. I don’t see enough support among republicans in the house and senate to push through a repeal of either red flag or background checks on all transfers.

Maybe they could make some changes to red flag so that they cannot be used vindictively to remove firearms. One
    Other option would be to leave the background check law in place but find some way to fund some online system where face to face sales and transfers can still occur as long as the seller does their own background check.

I think another thing we have to ask ourselves is what is Youngkin's agenda in the longer term, what's his plan for after this four year term? If he has ambitions for some political office after his term as VA gov from the way he ran his campaign you can be sure how he governs will take into account future campaigns.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I think another thing we have to ask ourselves is what is Youngkin's agenda in the longer term, what's his plan for after this four year term? If he has ambitions for some political office after his term as VA gov from the way he ran his campaign you can be sure how he governs will take into account future campaigns.

He's already being upstaged by Lt. Gov.-elect Winsome Sears.

Attachments

• winsome sears armed AR.jpg
      winsome sears armed AR.jpg
      27.5 KB · Views: 130

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    On the abortion issue, Youngkin may be laying low, waiting for the SCOTUS ruling to come out in the spring. Why draw attention to yourself when you can let SCOTUS take the heat for you if they make an unpopular ruling?
    Youngkin won with the help of some moderates and disillusioned liberal voters. He's probably trying not to alienate some people who voted for him.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    On the abortion issue, Youngkin may be laying low, waiting for the SCOTUS ruling to come out in the spring. Why draw attention to yourself when you can let SCOTUS take the heat for you if they make an unpopular ruling?
    Youngkin won with the help of some moderates and disillusioned liberal voters. He's probably trying not to alienate some people who voted for him.

*****This. Youngkin would draw unnecessary fire from the left over the abortion issue at a time when he really needs to show he can be an effective leader for everyone, especially economically. Let the Supreme Court do their thing, while Youngkin and Winsome win some hearts and minds through reduced fees, taxation, and sensible trade and other policies to help Virginia families - especially over taxed families in Northern Virginia who are liberal, but not economically stupid.

They (the left) may LOVE abortion, and hate guns, but the one thing that can bind both the sensible left and right are economic, day to day issues that affect how much of one's hard earned money they can keep, and big issues like gas prices, heating, electric, food, etc... Otherwise, the left wing folks will just toss Youngkin out unless he can show real positive economic impact change to the average working family.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I am tired voting for someone who in the primaries spouted one thing and then when in office, shit on us.. as larry did to us.

Lol find me a politician who doesn’t do that sooner or later.
    In this case just because Younkin isn’t pushing to repeal the bad gun laws doesn’t mean he won’t in the future. Since the Dems have the Senate, he wouldn’t be getting anything reversed that quickly anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    well let's not get all complacent because Red won last month. with zero evidence or research on my part, i think it was the education issue that got GOP's and some dems voting red. mc stepped on it big time with his no parents in schools idiocracy and younkin rightfully ran with that. i wouldn't count on the same dynamics being in play next year and thereafter. we need to get out and vote each and every election!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom