• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    I have a GP100 revolver but don't use it much. Semi-autoes rule the roost when it comes to handgun competition, so I'm just trying to find where I can get more use of out my revolver. What shooting competitions are there where the revolver is still relevant and not too much of a handicap?

IDPA sounds like it might be good fit, yes? What about steel challenge?
    Not sure if there are bowling pin shoots are around me (Gaithersburg/Germantown), but that might be good fit. Anything that I missed?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    cowboy action shooting? but you'd prob need some sort of rifle and shottie also.

even uspsa has a revolver division, but yeah not seeing a lot of wheel guns being shot today.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    IDPA and steel challenge are fun with a wheelgun. Have run my 686 in them. Not really much of a handicap in either one, but you do need a decent holster and speedloaders. Revolvers can be fired fast enough, take some time practicing reloading techniques, use 38s and they can run well.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Yeah, cowboy action shooting requires single action revolvers so that would require a lot more investment in firearms. I was more interested in putting to use what I already owned, lol!

I have holsters for GP100 and some safari land speed loaders but I'd have look into what pouches are allowed in IDPA.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    ICORE and revolver division of idpa. I own a few. I like shooting them as the long double action pull really forces good control. A single action semi practically shoots itself. Striker fired or dao semi would be in the middle.

Shot bowling pin with a 1911 and a 44 wheelgun. The problem seems to be finding a place where the targets are actually pins as opposed to some kind of goofy plastic or steel targets. The trick with pins is there is a relatively small area that must be hit to take them three feet back off the table. The more powerful the gun, the larger that area gets.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    OP probably knows this, but for the benefit of everyone else, it totally depends on what competition we're talking about. (I don't know shit about SASS, sorry / not sorry.) ICORE is functionally non-existent in MD and NoVA. Heard there's maybe a new club in Yorktown. ICORE allows most anything in centerfire to my understanding.

IDPA has three revolver divisions. Stock revolver is the usual rimmed rounds using speedloaders, max 4" barrel and 6 in the cylinder, no moonclips. Enhanced revolver is .357 or larger (aka, no 9mm), but moonclips are OK. Still 4" barrel max and 6 in the cylinder. BUG-R is 2.5" (or less) snubbies with five (or less) in the cylinder, 26oz or less, rimmed rounds / no moonclips (must be .38 Special or greater).

USPSA has one revolver division. Max of six in the cylinder if you're running major PF, max of eight if minor. Steel Challenge is similar, except there's an optics revolver division (OSR) that lets you run optics and comps.

The reason I bring this up is because revolvers that are top-end competitive for USPSA (S&W 929, Ruger Super GP100 9mm, maybe the S&W 986) are not even legal in IDPA. Guys who are serious about running wheelguns in popular competition own a few types of revos, and going to a good smith for work is basically a necessity.

Back to the OP: ICORE is what you want. You will never be top-end competitive even in IDPA with a revolver. I would suggest that you just learn to live with being way down in the overalls and focus on that one other guy you're shooting against in your division. :) Ruger GP100 in .38 Special should be legal for everything, though, provided your ammo makes power factor (which is a real concern with .38 Special).

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    eros, thank you for your detail post. As I began looking into ICORE, IDPA, USPSA, I noticed what was legal in one organization wouldn't be legal in the others, lol!

I'll probably just try my hand at IDPA and Steel Challenge as I'm doing it more for fun and to improve myself.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Baltimore County Game & Fish has an informal plate shoot sometimes. Just guys out with their handguns having fun shooting steel plates.
    They haven't had it since November. It's not a league or anything, just get together and have fun one evening. Keep an eye on their website or I'll post the next one that comes up. You don't have to be a member.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    eros, thank you for your detail post. As I began looking into ICORE, IDPA, USPSA, I noticed what was legal in one organization wouldn't be legal in the others, lol!
    I was in the same boat as you when I started going revolver shopping recently... "WTF do you mean I can't shoot a 929 in IDPA?!"

I'm basically looking at the 625 JM/PC for IDPA, and the 929 / Super GP100 for USPSA. I load 9mm and 45ACP, and have zero interest in switching over to 38 Special. If someone pointed a gun to my head to force me to compete in IDPA stock revolver, I'd load up some 45 auto rim powderpuffs, but that's about it.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    erwos & Daveyboysmith,

Thank you both for your reply! Yeah, if I'm having to go to using 45acp and 9mm in revolver with moon clips, then imho I'm might as well stay with pistol. It's ashamed as it looks like revolver division don't get a lot of love.

I use to load for 45acp and 9mm as well but also have the components for the 38/357mag. I've seen downsized and got rid of 45acp when my wife started shoot so as to simplify my logistics. Currently only reload for 9mm.

tjaw

Nov 14, 2014
    Monkton, MD.
    Colt King Cobra (the Old one)

I frequently start my day at the range with my Colt King Cobra 6" SS. 50 rounds out of this old gun calibrates my old eyes. 8)

I have my first Cowboy gun, a Taylor & Co. Smoke Wagon. It is a nice piece that is looking for some period leather.

RandyR

Aug 9, 2018
    Revolvers are great fun.

I like my S&W 686 for IDPA, it has a revolver division and your competing with others using revolver. Great fun, I’m not going to be a Max Michel etc by any means, so why not have fun. I also shoot cowboy with my vaqueros, again fun. I shoot, IDPA, USPSA, cowboy and steel challenge. So any day shooting is a great day.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    RandyR, what speed loaders are you using for 686? Comp III? What magazine pouches are you using with those speed loaders? Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom