• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    Looking to get my wife a red dot for her Glock 19. Looking at Vortex Venom or Holosun 407 in the $250 range that I can get this week. I know why wait till the last minute, we normally don’t exchange gifts but just found out she bought me something, now the rush. Not sure about which size dot to go with. Any suggestions on which or a better choice?

Thanks
    Mike

Attachments

• E7C400D0-D824-46B6-B6AF-D6B65D424A6B.jpg
      E7C400D0-D824-46B6-B6AF-D6B65D424A6B.jpg
      49.7 KB · Views: 296
    • D33BD1FC-8156-4C49-94D0-9D4D0A49FDD5.jpg
      D33BD1FC-8156-4C49-94D0-9D4D0A49FDD5.jpg
      38.9 KB · Views: 296

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Although Vortex has the best warranty in the industry, feature wise, I prefer the holosun.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Only thing I don't like about two 407s that I have is that the detents on the windage and elevation are nearly impossible to feel and tell how many clicks you've gone. They seem to hold zero so far so I guess that's what matters.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Holosun, every time. The Venom is just not very good.

Be advised that the 407CO is the "circle only" version, and is not going to be to everyone's liking.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've never been impressed by the Vortex offering. I'm a Trijicon fan but if you're comparing apples, I would weigh the Holosun 407 against the Swampfox Liberty or Justice(https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/liberty-justice). They only come in a 3moa dot size in either red or green, which is plenty for most people.

There are plenty of YouTube RMR comparisons to help take your decision.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i have a couple of vortex vipers. from my limited research, they have the thinnest bases so the dot sits pretty low and at least for me is easier to pick up when switching back and forth from irons to red dot sights. i haven't heard of too many slide-mounted optics that have a 100% reliability record esp in this price range, but vortex in my experience has great CS and gets them to and back pretty fast.

Pinnacle

Firearm Licensing (MD, FL, AZ)
    Aug 11, 2020
    Like previously stated, the venom is not a very good pistol optic. Big time starburst for me. The Holosun 507C wins hands down.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I'll see your Vortex Viper and Raise (Lower) You the Shield SMSC
    you can co-witness the lowest of irons with it.

i have a couple of vortex vipers. from my limited research, they have the thinnest bases so the dot sits pretty low and at least for me is easier to pick up when switching back and forth from irons to red dot sights. i haven't heard of too many slide-mounted optics that have a 100% reliability record esp in this price range, but vortex in my experience has great CS and gets them to and back pretty fast.

Attachments

• hellcat3.jpg
      hellcat3.jpg
      48.8 KB · Views: 193

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom