• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I'm looking at an adjustable torque screwdriver to be used for pistol red dot scope in the 3 to 10 inch pound range. Most descriptions say "pre set" adjustable.
    Many buyers wind up upset because they did not order the right one, e.g,. variable torque adjustment screwdriver.
    I'm confused by the word "pre-set" in the description of many different ones. What exactly should I be looking for?
    I kind of like the Wera 05074710001 (2.4-11.5 " lb range), but I want to make sure that I am buying the right one.
    Hope I did a decent job explaining this.
    Comments welcome.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    The Wheeler FAT wrench is the ticket! I find it handy for a lot of other projects the require an inch pound torque setting .

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Okay, but the Venom requires 9 inch lbs., so I read. The Wheeler starts at 10. What about those pistol red dots that require less than 10?

K3LAG

The instructions I see for the Venom say 12-15 in. lbs.

I believe you could actually set the FAT Wrench below the 10 if you wanted to. If it calls for 9, 10 would be fine. Wheeler claims the accuracy is within 2 lbs anyway. I tighten most red dots to about 14-15 in lbs unless it is something unusual.

With any torque wrench of that type you should store it with no tension on the spring so be sure to turn it all the way down before you put it away.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've never found a need to use a torque wrench on a red dot sight. A little dab of blue Locktite on the screws and call it good.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I've never found a need to use a torque wrench on a red dot sight. A little dab of blue Locktite on the screws and call it good.

I agree with this. I have at least 2 dozen tubes of blue loctite through out my house. :innocent0

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    you may end up paying for the fat wrench by using it and never over torquing a scope screw and breaking something. Also good for stock action screws so that you get it consistent. There are a lot of milsurps where setting a consistent screw holding Action to the stock makes a difference (Mosin for example) I always thought a FAT wrench was a required tool for rifle owners.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    you may end up paying for the fat wrench by using it and never over torquing a scope screw and breaking something. Also good for stock action screws so that you get it consistent. There are a lot of milsurps where setting a consistent screw holding Action to the stock makes a difference (Mosin for example) I always thought a FAT wrench was a required tool for rifle owners.

I wasn't saying not to buy one. I don't touch a scope mount or scope ring without using a Fat Wrench. In fact, I use one any time I need to tighten two(or more) screws in tandem anywhere on an AR, etc. Every gun owner who mounts scopes should have one. Now, for a red dot, especially a one screw red dot that you'll be removing and moving now and then, nah. But any time you have two screws serving the same pressure, you want them evenly torqued. Otherwise, you might as well only use one screw.

RMRs and such, I don't see the need. Blue Locktite and hand tighten with an Allen a or Torx.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021740444?pid=385166

It is made by Vortex and it slips over when you hit the torque setting. I have checked it with a laboratory calibrated torque wrench and it is right on. It cost a little more but I feel it is better quality than the FAT wrench.

I always thought these started at 10 in. lbs. and up. Where does yours start? I want something that will also cover 0 to 10.
    Thanks!

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    A different question: Which screws do you use for a Holosun 507K-X2 red dot being installed on a SIG 365XL? Package comes with two different sets. Not wanting to ruin the threads.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A different question: Which screws do you use for a Holosun 507K-X2 red dot being installed on a SIG 365XL? Package comes with two different sets. Not wanting to ruin the threads.

Should be the same thread pattern, just different lengths? If not, go slow. You'll know right away...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom