MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    You're lucky it didn't turn out to be a hand grenade in there. :lol2:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If the hissing was air going in, that is good. It is coming out, not so good.

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    If it smells and looks fine when you open it I would say go ahead and use it.
    I have used my home canned tomato sauce after 2-3 years on the shelf.

yeah in my experience if it smells good and does have anything growing in it you should be good to go. Obviously the seal still needs to be tight when you go to open.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I have an emergency kit in every car . I keep asking my wife to check hers... which of course she never does. I went in yesterday and finally checked myself... of course the batteries in the flash light are long dead. The butane has leaked out of the disposable lighter and I check the mini can of spam at the bottom of the bag. Best if used before 1/13. Can looks good, so for grins and giggles I poped it open. Looked fine. Smelled fine. Cooked it up with breakfast and it was a-ok. SPAM the wonder food. 9 years past the expiration date and no issues.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have an emergency kit in every car . I keep asking my wife to check hers... which of course she never does. I went in yesterday and finally checked myself... of course the batteries in the flash light are long dead. The butane has leaked out of the disposable lighter and I check the mini can of spam at the bottom of the bag. Best if used before 1/13. Can looks good, so for grins and giggles I poped it open. Looked fine. Smelled fine. Cooked it up with breakfast and it was a-ok. SPAM the wonder food. 9 years past the expiration date and no issues.
    Unless you breach the can, there is nothing to spoil the food! Even a single bacterium will spoil it in a week or so. Can looks good, smells good, taste and texture good…mmmm, good!!

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    Cans are stored in non temperature controlled warehouses all the time. How is that worse than being in the trunk of a car?
    A car's trunk can reach 130-172 degrees when parked in sunlight, with an outside temperature range of 80-100.

In my humble opinion, that is significantly hotter than a warehouse. Just my initial thought. If you speak from experience I will most certainly accept that, but those temps would scare me.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Just remember to listen to The Old Man in the Cave.....

The-Twilight-Zone-The-Old-Man-in-the-Cave-2-700x526.jpg

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    A car's trunk can reach 130-172 degrees when parked in sunlight, with an outside temperature range of 80-100.

In my humble opinion, that is significantly hotter than a warehouse. Just my initial thought. If you speak from experience I will most certainly accept that, but those temps would scare me.

You need to spend more time in steel frame warehouses. They can reach (made up temperature range) in the sun with an outside temperature of 80-100. I spend a lot of time going in and out of warehouses. They get hot. Most are metal boxes just like the car.

If you think that is bad, the trucks transporting them also get hot as hell.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I researched the basis for the dates and meanings of "Best By" and "Sell By" etc., at the USDA website. It's been a few years, but IIRC the guidance phrases used and the dates on the packages are chosen by the food manufacturer with no regulatory guidance coming from USDA.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I think manufacturers find it advantageous to short-date their products so folk throw out what they have left and buy more, rather than use what's on hand. The more they sell, for any reason, the more they make.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I had a few cans of Treat. It was like Spam, but made by another company. When I move I found four cans that had fallen behind some stuff in a corner cabinet and the cans were almost as round as a soft ball. I didn't try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom