• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    If you want to save money on a jet boil Walmart sells a Stanley cook set for about $15. You can get rid of the two plastic cups inside and a small can of fuels nests inside of it. Buy a $15 burner from Amazon (MSR pocket rocket type) and your out less than $35. Walmart also sells a stainless cup that nests with the cook set. That brings you up to $40ish.

If you look on YouTube for Stanley cook set video it will give you some good ideas.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Where in the commissary do you find these? I've shopped at commissaries on Navy and Air Force bases for over 40 years and never noticed them there (then again, I wasn't looking for them, either.) Or maybe it's an Army base commissary thing. . .

In my "get home bag" I have a sealed pack of "emergency food ration bars." I don't think I would be opening them up for an I-95 24hr stranded situation, though. I'd probably save the food in case a time comes when I had to walk out. Sure, if I had a snack in the car I might eat that to keep the edge off.

I’ve seen them in both NAS Pax River and Andrews AFB pretty regularly. USMC commissaries at Quantico and Camp Lejuene as well. They tend to move them around in the aisles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Food isn't that big of a deal unless you're stuck for a couple weeks. I'd just grab a case of water, some beef jerkey, and a can of pringles or something if you just want to fend off munchies. A jar of peanut butter could work too. If you want to be survival-fancy, get food that doubles as fire starter, such as cashews or corn chips.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I’ve seen them in both NAS Pax River and Andrews AFB pretty regularly. USMC commissaries at Quantico and Camp Lejuene as well. They tend to move them around in the aisles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Wierd, I've gone to the Andrew's commissary every month for something like 14 years and never noticed MREs there. Just not looking since they weren't on my shopping list I guess. I'll have to look out for them next time.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You'll probably want an MRE rather than dehydrated food for this case.

Check out this link, 3600 calorie food bars with decent shelf life. Im sure they don't taste great but I have these in my get home pack.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/best-survival-food-bars-5114017

Or you get get a jet boil and eat some tasty mountain house meals. Just pack a few gallons of water and you're ready to go.

Don't forget a tarp/tent and fire starters

There is a You Tube where a guy actually tried to eat various emergency rations for 3 days.

Here they are:

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheUrbanPrepper/search?query=rations

He rated Tac-Bar highly.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would look for First Strike Rations.

One ration is for 1 full day, 3 meals with snacks. And no heating required. Also, most everything is hand food.

I carry them traveling to Africa. Just for a light dinner, I can get about 4 - 5 meals.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Food isn't that big of a deal unless you're stuck for a couple weeks. I'd just grab a case of water, some beef jerkey, and a can of pringles or something if you just want to fend off munchies. A jar of peanut butter could work too. If you want to be survival-fancy, get food that doubles as fire starter, such as cashews or corn chips.

This

The rule of 3s says 3 minutes without air. 3 days without water. 3 weeks without food.

So water would be more important. Heat to melt then purification.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Where in the commissary do you find these? I've shopped at commissaries on Navy and Air Force bases for over 40 years and never noticed them there (then again, I wasn't looking for them, either.) Or maybe it's an Army base commissary thing. . .

In my "get home bag" I have a sealed pack of "emergency food ration bars." I don't think I would be opening them up for an I-95 24hr stranded situation, though. I'd probably save the food in case a time comes when I had to walk out. Sure, if I had a snack in the car I might eat that to keep the edge off.

Was just in the Ft Meade commissary today, first time in many years. I remembered this thread so I was looking for them. They had cases of them stacked on the shelves in the last aisle near the checkout.

A and B cases $125, training meal cases $57 (similar to MREs but smaller and shorter shelf life).

Attachments

• 20220110_181143.jpg
      20220110_181143.jpg
      63.3 KB · Views: 196
    • 20220110_181135.jpg
      20220110_181135.jpg
      67.9 KB · Views: 185

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Where in the commissary do you find these? I've shopped at commissaries on Navy and Air Force bases for over 40 years and never noticed them there (then again, I wasn't looking for them, either.) Or maybe it's an Army base commissary thing. .

I've never seen them in a Navy Commissary. Or an Army commissary (at least I don't remember seeing any at Ft Meade). I never shop at an air force commissary, but I would expect Air Force field rations tor run to more gourmet type meals.
    MREs are carried in Marine Corps commissaries

I stand corrected on Ft Meade. I haven't shopped there in a very long time. At Quantico and Lejuene they have been sold in individual meals.

Cabel

Mar 18, 2014
    Ellicott City, MD
    Just order one of those 12v "lunchbox" ovens from Amazon then take a small cooler and pack whatever you want. I've had one for 25 years and I've done some pretty complex "road cooking" with it. That and a $10 12v immersion coil heater for instant coffee and liquids, and you are good. Taking stuff from home beats fast food or MREs every time.

Sleepy

Jan 19, 2013
    If you're just looking for a short term solution and getting a jet boil, you'r those $1 bags of rice or noodles, I forget the name but they're at every grocery store.

They used to be called Lipton Sides. Noodles or rice. They were renamed a few years ago and now they're called Knorr sides. They're the most popular (and affordable) backpacker's food around. Add some protein and you've got a meal.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Was just in the Ft Meade commissary today, first time in many years. I remembered this thread so I was looking for them. They had cases of them stacked on the shelves in the last aisle near the checkout.

A and B cases $125, training meal cases $57 (similar to MREs but smaller and shorter shelf life).

You taking orders?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom