• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Yes, they are different. The biggest difference is the size of the magwell. A 10mm mag won't fit in a standard .45 frame because it is quite a bit longer.

Similarly, a .45 mag won't fit in a 10mm frame because it is too wide.

Because of the controlled feed design of the 1911 platform, and. because the mags are single stack, there isn't a frame that will accept both and be reliable as the mag will wobble on the magwell and. cause feeding issues

Interesting...

I just took my STI .45, Dan Wesson 9mm, and Springfield 10mm and swapped the magazines all around.

How woulld you explain that?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ^^^ +1

Differences in the frames are in the feedramps, in each respective size frame, as mentioned in a previous post. Some order frames with a “neutral” feedramp (9/38S). This way the frame may be used in any caliber 1911 friendly given just cutting the feedramp.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    only if using the same ramp dimensions. You can chamber for 9mm (9x21,9x23), 38S, 40, 10mm on one frame using an unramped barrel. 45 ACP has its own ramp dimension. If the frame is machined for a ramped barrel (Clark/Para or Wilson/Nowlin) any caliber can be used on the frame, and switched back and forth accordingly.

May 13, 2005
    probably not exactly the path of this thread.... But... I don't know who, if anyone, makes one, but I would love to get the long slide 1911 that Samuel Jackson used in the King Kong movie.

Jul 1, 2012
    The 1902 Military grip angle is actually not bad. I'm most comfortable with a 1911 and I found the 1902 to be easy to point, fun to shoot, and pretty darn accurate (aside from the teeny sights). Expect to shell out at least $1500-2000 for a decent one though. I wouldn't call it a practical gun, it has several weaknesses like fragile grips, expensive magazines, brass firing pin, no safeties other than a half-cock notch, small heel-release magazine catch. Oh yeah, those teeny sights too :) But it's still fun.

Finding .38 ACP is the challenge, as .38 Super will damage it (same case and bullet, but more badda-boom).

May 13, 2005
    The 1902 Military grip angle is actually not bad. I'm most comfortable with a 1911 and I found the 1902 to be easy to point, fun to shoot, and pretty darn accurate (aside from the teeny sights). Expect to shell out at least $1500-2000 for a decent one though. I wouldn't call it a practical gun, it has several weaknesses like fragile grips, expensive magazines, brass firing pin, no safeties other than a half-cock notch, small heel-release magazine catch. Oh yeah, those teeny sights too :) But it's still fun.

Finding .38 ACP is the challenge, as .38 Super will damage it (same case and bullet, but more badda-boom).

Well Holy crap. As usual, MDS smarts abound. Much appreciate the input. I'll pas on a 1903. Cool but a LS shooter is what I would look for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom