• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Hey all,

I've decided after years of hunting with firearms that I want to bow hunt. I'd like to have a bow and be all practiced up for this coming season. Are there any local bow shops that sell used compound bows?

Thanks!

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Hey all,

I've decided after years of hunting with firearms that I want to bow hunt. I'd like to have a bow and be all practiced up for this coming season. Are there any local bow shops that sell used compound bows?

Thanks!

Not sure of local shops. Ebay is great for bows, if you know what you’re looking to purchase.

Rus

MDS Supporter
    Nov 27, 2017
    No. Carroll County
    Hey all,

Thanks!

Craigslist is also an option, and you may have the option of shooting it before buying. If you're looking in the lower (< $ 400 ) range, new will get you a warranty, and the bow will have new strings.
    If you're planning on going to the Great American Outdoor Show, you can shoot several models, and may get one at a really good price.
    After deer season is over, in February, they will go on sale.

fogman

Gunshack/Crosswind in Mt Airy usually has some used bows. Bowhunter's Den carried a few bows on consignment when he had a shop in Gambler. I think his shop is now out of his home by appointment.
    For your first bow (new or used), I highly recommend going thru a shop and get them to fit you and set up your bow.

Benny

Feb 20, 2019
    Today I checked out the Museum of the United States Army at Fort Belvoir. It’s a little more than a year old and outstanding. I spent about 3.5 hours there and will go back again. The museum is divided into chronological period halls beginning with the colonial/revolutionary era and ending with Global War. I’ve attached some pictures. The IR sniper scope on the M1 carbine was interesting. Admission and parking is free. You do need to register online for an admissions ticket. View attachment 332194
    View attachment 332195
    View attachment 332196
    View attachment 332197
    View attachment 332198
    View attachment 332200
    View attachment 332201
    View attachment 332202
    View attachment 332203

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_4700.jpg
      IMG_4700.jpg
      121.8 KB · Views: 211
    • IMG_4702.jpg
      IMG_4702.jpg
      90.6 KB · Views: 209
    • IMG_4705.jpg
      IMG_4705.jpg
      96.9 KB · Views: 213
    • IMG_4707.jpg
      IMG_4707.jpg
      89.7 KB · Views: 206
    • IMG_4710.jpg
      IMG_4710.jpg
      111.9 KB · Views: 211
    • IMG_4712.jpg
      IMG_4712.jpg
      84 KB · Views: 203
    • IMG_4713.jpg
      IMG_4713.jpg
      65.9 KB · Views: 200
    • IMG_4714.jpg
      IMG_4714.jpg
      69.7 KB · Views: 208
    • IMG_4715.jpg
      IMG_4715.jpg
      81.3 KB · Views: 201

Benny

Feb 20, 2019
    Today I checked out the Museum of the United States Army at Fort Belvoir. It’s a little more than a year old and outstanding. I spent about 3.5 hours there and will go back again. The museum is divided into chronological period halls beginning with the colonial/revolutionary era and ending with Global War. I’ve attached some pictures. The IR sniper scope on the M1 carbine was interesting. Admission and parking is free. You do need to register online for an admissions ticket. View attachment 332194
    View attachment 332195
    View attachment 332196
    View attachment 332197
    View attachment 332198
    View attachment 332200
    View attachment 332201
    View attachment 332202
    View attachment 332203

My apologies. This should have been a new topic. Obviously it has nothing to do with bows.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OP, Not sure what type of bow you are looking for. Whether it be recurve or compound, DO NOT BUY ANY KIND OF USED BOW OFF THE INTERNET!!!!!!

Recurve bows are generally not size specific, but compound bows are VERY size specific. Most archery shops have used bows for sale for pretty decent prices. Try to buy the most modern bow you can afford that will fit your specific draw length(they will properly measure there at the shop). Google is your friend if looking for someplace close by. There are a number of good archery/hunting shops in Md. Good luck!

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    OP, Not sure what type of bow you are looking for. Whether it be recurve or compound, DO NOT BUY ANY KIND OF USED BOW OFF THE INTERNET!!!!!!

Recurve bows are generally not size specific, but compound bows are VERY size specific. Most archery shops have used bows for sale for pretty decent prices. Try to buy the most modern bow you can afford that will fit your specific draw length(they will properly measure there at the shop). Google is your friend if looking for someplace close by. There are a number of good archery/hunting shops in Md. Good luck!

Google is my friend, but so are the fine people of MDS who already gave me several personal shop recommendations.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Outrider is giving you solid advice. The bow needs to fit you the arrows need to have the correct spine and length all of this a good shop will help you with. Also start with a lower draw weight don't be dumb like I was and think you can shoot 70 pounds and end up with a torn rotator cuff and a 2500 dollar bow setup you can't shoot.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Perfect timing, looking for a compound for my 13 year old. Will take advice from this thread.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A word about compound bows;they can be a lot like shoes. Sure, you wear a size 11.5, but not all 11.5s fit the same. This is why, if you are looking to spend money on a good bow, you need to go to a pro shop and be able to shoot several bows to find the proper fit. I did this 12-13 years ago. Back then, a top of the line bow was around $800-$900. Now I think they can be almost double that....I'm still hunting and killing with that bow I bought back then. It hasn't come close to wearing out...

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    Purchasing another used Compound today to add to my collection. It’s adjustable 18-28” draw and 40-60 lb. I’ll perform normal safety inspection,tune and test. This will be a training bow for family members new to archery. I gave each of my daughters and son in-laws recurve bows this Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom