• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    The other unaddressed question is about the attitudes of the old folks .

Do they * Want * to be armed , or is this all your idea ?

Somebody spent 65 plus years on this earth , never handled a gun , nor had a desire to previously ? Did they have a sudden ephifny on their own , or are they just humoring you ?

In my case, my FIL was armed and my MIL was comfortable with that (he had a .357 that was too much for her to handle even with .38s). After he passed, she started to wonder what would happen if her home was broken into (they had a couple of instances where their detached garage was burglarized, but thankfully not the house). So she asked me to help find something that would work for her.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Good for you Doc ! But that is an important question for the rest of the participants and observers of this thread to keep in mind .

I tried to keep out of the handgun recomendations , but Doc M was focused in an area of my expertise .

Give the parameters of :

Familiar with and comfortable around .357 Mag.
    Need lighter weight and less recoil than a .357 loaded with .38 Spl .

The strong default is a .32 Revolver . .32 Mag will be some less than .38 spl standard vel , .32 S&W Long is very mild . .327 Revolvers can also use .32 Mag and Long . Actual .327 ammo will have More recoil than .38 +P .

If .32 Revolvers are difficult to locate , then .22WMR , but Only with 4 inch or longer bbl . Seriously , shorter than 4 inch has massive velocity loss , and the velocity is what gives its somewhat worthwhile performance . And a .22WMR will be LOUD .

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster

Somebody spent 65 plus years on this earth , never handled a gun , nor had a desire to previously ? Did they have a sudden ephifny on their own , or are they just humoring you ?

“My parents and in-laws are getting up there in age and they’ve both indicated that they want to own firearms.”

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Everyone WANTS to be armed. Some people just take a long time to figure it out.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I'm still intrigued by the idea of ergonomics that may make firearm ownership more accessible to folks with age related or other limitations. It may be a rabbit hole I go down.

If you are a NRA member, give the HQ a call.

They keep a doctor on staff per re, he tracks aging firearm accident statistics. He has a plethora of knowledge in this area.

He used to give seminars at the Great American Outdoor Show.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you are a NRA member, give the HQ a call.

They keep a doctor on staff per re, he tracks aging firearm accident statistics. He has a plethora of knowledge in this area.

He used to give seminars at the Great American Outdoor Show.

Thanks! I will!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Excellent points. When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I'm still intrigued by the idea of ergonomics that may make firearm ownership more accessible to folks with age related or other limitations. It may be a rabbit hole I go down.

The hole is waiting. Here is something to help.

It looks like some of the manufacturers are taking note. Probably see the ageing population as a growing demographic.

Here are a couple of examples of starting to address some of the issues:

S&W
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-smith-wesson-mp380-shield-ez/

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/smith-wesson-expands-mp-shield-ez-line-with-a-new-9mm-model/

Walther
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/shot-show-range-day-walther-ccp-m2-380-is-here/

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The hole is waiting. Here is something to help.

It looks like some of the manufacturers are taking note. Probably see the ageing population as a growing demographic.

Here are a couple of examples of starting to address some of the issues:

S&W
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-smith-wesson-mp380-shield-ez/

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/smith-wesson-expands-mp-shield-ez-line-with-a-new-9mm-model/

Walther
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/shot-show-range-day-walther-ccp-m2-380-is-here/

Thanks! I have a rheumatologist friend who shoots. He may be interested, too.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    All I remember is "Dr. Joe"

I have a buddy from high school who works for NRA. I’ll reach out to him. I worked a couple of gun shows with Genesis firearms, and there were a lot of first time gun buyers. Some older. I’ve never given this much thought.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Dr. Joe is pretty inciteful, and he has years of data.

That’ll be really interesting. In the age of 3-D printing, all kinds of accommodations could be made available for various firearms for very little money. Just put the files out there.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    That’ll be really interesting. In the age of 3-D printing, all kinds of accommodations could be made available for various firearms for very little money. Just put the files out there.

The data is related to accidents of aging hunters and those in the shooting sports.

He can point people in the right direction if an aid is needed.

As for 3D printing, he may have an answer for that too

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The data is related to accidents of aging hunters and those in the shooting sports.

He can point people in the right direction if an aid is needed.

As for 3D printing, he may have an answer for that too

I’d bet he keeps track of at least some of the accident details. That could be helpful. It seems there is a need. Sorry for the thread hijack everyone!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I’d bet he keeps track of at least some of the accident details. That could be helpful. It seems there is a need. Sorry for the thread hijack everyone!

Don't worry about the hijack this is important. We are all shooters and we all hope to get old so anything to keep us shooting is in our best interest.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    My suggestion would be a dog and a pump action 22. 15 rounds of velocitor’s. Wouldn’t be my first choice, but I would feel safe if it was all I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom