S & W Shield Plus Magazine Marking Ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    For anyone who owns an S & W Shield Plus, have you noticed any marking or denting of your ammo in the same locations near the arrows in the photos? The pictures are of a brass case training 115 grain FMJ CCI, and a nickel-plated case 147 grain JHP Sig Sauer. I have some Liberty Civil Defense ammo in which the cases have worse markings/dents, but I cannot find them. I think the marking/dent on each round is from the indentation that runs down the side of each magazine. This issue appears after a few hours of the rounds being in the magazine and only happens to the rounds stored from approximately the 3rd to 8th place in the magazine.

Any thoughts would help since I have never seen this before with any of my other guns' magazines.

Attachments

• Brass.jpg
      Brass.jpg
      136.8 KB · Views: 157
    • Nickel.jpg
      Nickel.jpg
      121.3 KB · Views: 150
    • Magazine.jpg
      Magazine.jpg
      93 KB · Views: 150

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    You may be right, seems like it might be in line with that crease in the mag.

Have you removed the baseplate and looked for sharp edges or any debris stuck in there?

I doubt the marks themselves matter, but I might be concerned about a tiny piece of metal that might relocate itself in the future.

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    I have not disassembled the mag. I have three new, OEM 13 round mags, so I would not think it was debris. It happens with at least two of the mags. I have not tested the third mag or the 10 round mag. I contacted S & W today, and they indicated they have not seen this issue. I was just curious if any other Shield Plus owners have seen this issue.

You may be right, seems like it might be in line with that crease in the mag.

Have you removed the baseplate and looked for sharp edges or any debris stuck in there?

I doubt the marks themselves matter, but I might be concerned about a tiny piece of metal that might relocate itself in the future.

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    Here's another photo of a round of ammo with worse "denting." This is the result of storage in the magazine for a couple of days. I contacted S & W, and they have not seen this. It's disappointing that new magazines would do this. At least S & W has said they will look at my magazines to see what the issue is. I hope I just got a bad batch of magazines, and this is not a magazine design flaw.

Attachments

• Nickel #2.jpg
      Nickel #2.jpg
      139.5 KB · Views: 72

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads