• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back in the day , a used S&W was approximately the same price as a new Taraus . Personally , I always go for the used S&W .

But I am knowledgeable , and confident in my ability to inspect and evaluate used revolvers . But as always , a segment of the buying public either isn't confident in their diagnostic abilities , or otherwise wishes to purchase New with Warranty .

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I appreciate all the great advice. I think I’m just going to save the coin and look for a decent 27. I figure it’s what I really want so no need to get something I wouldn’t be completely happy with just to save a few dollars.
    I will also keep a lookout for the ruger but only if a super deal jumps in my lap.

To answer the question about my pt92, I bought it used for cheap and wasn’t expecting much but it wasn’t very reliable. It would stovepipe often and eventually the trigger return spring broke so I got rid of it after fixing it.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Ruger SP101 or GP100

/thread

There's always the Redhawk in .357 with an 8 round cylinder. Built like a tank and a helluva of a lot of fun to shoot.

Attachments

• Redhawk 357.jpg
      Redhawk 357.jpg
      87.1 KB · Views: 200

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I have a Tracker 357, it has been a decent revolver. I’ve shot .38 special range ammo up to Buffalo Bore through it w/o issues. The Tracker is the only Taurus I have. I wouldn’t turn my nose up at a Tracker at a decent price. It could use a better grip than the squishy rubber one it comes with. Swapped mine out with a Hogue,

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have an M44, but have shot and worked on several. It is flat out a cheaper gun than S&W and Ruger, rougher finish, mediocre trigger with lots of creep and overtravel. Lots of rough finished or stamped components, and seems the steel itself is soft as it scratches far easier. I slicked mine up some, and it shoots well enough. Bought it probably 20 years ago when I didn't have much money, and didn't know better. Haven't bought any more Taurus, primarily S&W DAs and Ruger SA revolvers ever since, and more than worth the cost difference

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As mentioned a couple times in this thread , the Trackers fill a unique niche , and are better made than most Taraus products .

A friend of my Shooting/ Handloading buddy #1 had a .41 Tracker . I checked it out , saw his groups with his handloads . If I had run across one in .41 simultaneously with having money pre '13 , I would happily own one .

As I think I mentioned upthread , Jim's only gripe was the cylinder length was short enough he couldn't crimp the Keith bullets from his mold in the crimp grove .

His Tracker did have nicer DA trigger ( I would have rated it lower average for S&W) than did my then M450 on same frame . I don't know if that was random luck , or if he had done some judicious smoothing . Wasn't crazy light , just smooth enough to accomplish intended purposes.

hpbyhermann

Mar 10, 2009
    Edgewater MD
    I bought a 627 Tracker.357 4" barrel back in 2008

I have a Taurus Tracker 627.357 4" barrel. Been a great reliable gun with zero issues. I bought it for my wife for her first gun. Only Taurus I've ever purchased but I'm happy with this one. Not a fair comparison to my Smith & Wesson 629 though especially in the precision and build quality. We still own it though and enjoy shooting it.

Last edited:

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I had a Taurus M66, blued 7 shot. It was a good gun. I eventually sold it tho and bought the S&W 686 I had always wanted.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Must be user error or it could be on the 99 a broken adjustment screw inside. But the 92 and 99 series are the Beretta since the factory in Brazil was the licensed Beretta factory at first! Either way resetting and alignment is very easy on them.

lim144

Jan 3, 2014
    I had zero luck with Taurus around me other than. The 44 mag and judge. 357 cheap revo, 2 factory fix and sold.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    IF its a taurus original design, they are hit or miss, if its clone or copy of current designs they are not bad. I have a 92AFS that is my first pistol that I bought from a friend, love it to death. I have friends with other Taurus "clones" of other pistols and they have had nothing but good things to say. Plus side you don't need a barrel lock when buying one if it has the Taurus key.

ed bernay

Feb 18, 2011
    I don't have any experience with a Taurus revolver.

I'm not a revolver guy so I only have a few. My first was an EAA Windicator in 357. You might want to consider that if you are looking for a budget 357 revolver. I have seen them for $325 new and $225ish used. I have not shot it enough to give you an experienced opinion on it. Just throwing it out there as an alternative to Taurus. Not sure which revolver is worse when it comes to the type of steel used.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I have a PT 92 from mid 80’s. It has been reliable and I like it well enough. Now having said that I wouldn’t rush out to buy much of their current offerings. No experience with their revolvers, if it was a good deal I wouldn’t mind giving them a shot. (Pun intended)

mdjunior

Mar 29, 2013
    I own a 357 Taurus revolver and love it. I’m currently waiting on picking up my tracker 44 mag. The ruger was 2 times the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom