• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    That's all fine,, but the vendors need to "support the community" and not charge a 20-50% markup over what the items are sold in the LGS, not even talking internet here.

I went to two MD gunshows in 2021,, both times I purchased items from South Carrol Sporting goods (they had below internet prices),, the rest of the vendors pricing went from "Overpriced" to "Are you Fing kidding Me?"

I disagree with this statement. We need to show our support to our local vendors and the community in general.

I went today. I agree the turnout was poor for both customers and vendors. But I enjoyed the walk and getting a chance to be around like minded people. I saw the same three over priced colt ar's that I have been looking at for a year.

I do enjoy looking at all the items. I always find something of interest. I did not buy anything today. I will be at the next show in PA and then to Howard county. Who knows what hidden gold I will find.

I was going to buy some silver. But, as many have already said I can do better buying online.

-Russ

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    LOL,,, I was beginning to think I was the only one who noticed ! I regularly see 9mm 115gr for 40-45 cent a round listed in MDS classifieds.

If you guys think show prices are crazy, dont dare look in the classifieds!!! Some of those Mfers are crazy!

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Going to head up this morning , something to do . Never know but if it’s like timonium well it’s something to do and it’s still neat to look at all the stuff .

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Just found out I have to take my kid to practice in Columbia, so I may continue on and hit the show. I always try to support the MD shows when I can.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If we don’t support the MD gun shows we can attend they will go away and give the anti-liberty people in the MGA the opportunity to claim it wasn’t their doing…that there was no support for such shows by consumers…which would be true. We can be our own worst enemy at times…even though the MGA set the stage and ground rules.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The other reasons include :

You can see a wider variety of whatever at show than at any one LGS .

Particularly at smaller shows , and those directly put on by an Organization ( IWLA , VFW , Walton , etc) you have more private guys with a variety of older and unique " stuff" .

If not for being there with MSI , I wouldn't go to as many , but would still go to some .

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The other reasons include :

You can see a wider variety of whatever at show than at any one LGS .

Particularly at smaller shows , and those directly put on by an Organization ( IWLA , VFW , Walton , etc) you have more private guys with a variety of older and unique " stuff" .

If not for being there with MSI , I wouldn't go to as many , but would still go to some .

Your second point there is very true

Case in point, the small shows in Bel Air and Jarrettsville are always good. As is the one Baltimore County Fish and Game does

The similarity is none of them have promoters filling tables with crap

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I still go to the MD Shows, almost always I find a firearm or 2 that interests me enough to at least consider.
    I have noticed since the background check law came out there seems to be a lack of venders that set up selling their private collections, I have a couple dozen rifles and shotguns that came from this type of vendor.
    Don't know what the solution is to MD Shows, I do hope they find a way to survive and grow.

I've been going to gun shows since the late '70s. The fact of the matter is, today's version of a Maryland gun show has degraded to the point where they will eventually fade away. It isn't the patron's fault or responsibility. The blame lies with this F'd up state and its draconian laws. Hell, MoCo outlawed gun shows all together. Also, the internet has just as much responsibility(I won't say blame) for weakening attendances to shows. If gun shows go the way of the Dodo(nothing lasts forever), then it's because that business model is no longer sustainable.

Nowadays, I might do a show every other year or so. And that's usually to meet up with friends, not because a particular show is offering something I can't do without. Shows now just ain't what they used to be. Period.

Maybe somewhere in the future, there will once again be a need for gun shows. There's no telling what the future holds, but for now, I don't see this trend turning around.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Probably the most truthful post on the state of gun shows in MD.

I do miss the shows at the Annapolis Armory in the early 90s,, But the truth is that "product" no longer exists. Md laws, internet sales, etc have doomed that sales model. To try and pretend that business model still exists is denying reality.

I've been going to gun shows since the late '70s. The fact of the matter is, today's version of a Maryland gun show has degraded to the point where they will eventually fade away. It isn't the patron's fault or responsibility. The blame lies with this F'd up state and its draconian laws. Hell, MoCo outlawed gun shows all together. Also, the internet has just as much responsibility(I won't say blame) for weakening attendances to shows. If gun shows go the way of the Dodo(nothing lasts forever), then it's because that business model is no longer sustainable.

Nowadays, I might do a show every other year or so. And that's usually to meet up with friends, not because a particular show is offering something I can't do without. Shows now just ain't what they used to be. Period.

Maybe somewhere in the future, there will once again be a need for gun shows. There's no telling what the future holds, but for now, I don't see this trend turning around.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The small independent shows will continue as always .

Larger commercial shows will exist in some form , but will become smaller , or less frequent , or combination .

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Probably the most truthful post on the state of gun shows in MD.

I do miss the shows at the Annapolis Armory in the early 90s,, But the truth is that "product" no longer exists. Md laws, internet sales, etc have doomed that sales model. To try and pretend that business model still exists is denying reality.

The business model still had viability but it has changed. As you say the internet changed things a lot. But to guys like me who collect "what I like" the gun show still has a place. I can wander and peruse and see if anything jumps out. If I want AR parts I'll just go online

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you are looking for one specific , currently mfg , reasonably common whatever , the internet is your friend .

If you are looking at a whole catagory of something , and want to do hands on comparisons of several , a large Gun Show is your Huckleberry .

If you are like me , and are open mindedly looking for something interesting and/ or unusual to catch your eye , gun shows of all types , with special emphasis on small independent .

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    Anyone see a Glock 17C or 21C that is reasonably priced?

NOT RIP OFF PRICED!!

Last edited:

Sparkman

Jan 3, 2022
    Centreville, MD
    I was there yesterday and had a good, if brief time there. I finally found some small pistol primers which I probably paid too much for but you know what they say about having a bird in the hand ...

Yes, it was a small show and yes the prices weren't great but between inflation, supply chain problems, bad actors in the marketplace and greed why complain? At least it was a nice day to go for a ride.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I saw those SPP , and was sorely tempted . If I didn't have other looming $ obligations , I might have , but couldn't quite justify $140 at the moment .

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I usually go to the ones near me. Last Frederick show picked up a Contender .357Max barrel I had been wanting for a while so it was a good show for me.

Depends on what you're looking to find.

The constant whining about md shows is going to get many of you just what you deserve.

Esox

May 16, 2015
    One thing is the prices another thing is to blow half a Saturday or Sunday looking at beef jerky (which I usually do buy) and 80% lowers, not my way of spending a day off.
    I didn't go to this show, but this is my general observation of the few smaller gun shows I've been to in the recent past.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Maybe if possible, we could have a MDS swap meet again this year with SCSG doing transfers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom