• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if racking by pushing front of slide back, or by using rear sight against something stationary (belt, wall, table etc), please instruct to make sure he doesn't muzzle himself or anyone else, keep finger outside triggerguard, etc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back at the tip up .380 Beretta , once upon a time , I tried one for my aging , multiple physical issue Mother ( who Was an experienced shooter and hunter.) .

The problem was the the actual Tip Up Latch was too stiff for arthritic fingers .

What ultimately turned out to be the solution was an alloy frame .22WMR Single Action Revolver . Yes , with a SA , cocking the hammer uses most of the muscles of the hand , not just the thumb per se .

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Thanks everyone, all great replies and points. We’ll refrain from replacing the spring and see if he’s interested in another pistol. He tried the method where you push the frame and hold the slide however that was a no go. Problem is two fold, weak pinch of slide and not sting enough to physically pull the slide back even if the pinch was fine. I also order a slide racker to see if that helps.
    The loss of strength happened quickly over the last few months and he recently bought the glock shortly before it happened. If we’re able to figure it out I’ll report back with the solution.
    Thanks everyone.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Try the slide racker before spending another $500+.

It really does eliminate the pinching grip strength. You hold the pistol grip, put your other hand in front of the racker, and push.

BartExp

Ultimate Member
    Wif has same issue as far pulling back slide . Went with S&W ez 380

My wife has the same issue. Bad wrists cause her pain when gripping the slide. Have often wondered about attachments to lessen the pain of grasping the slide.

Any thoughts on using a red dot to help rack the slide. The other thing that came to mind is the little attachment used in shooting competitions, but that would cause issues with CC.

Would it damage the red dot to use it to assist in racking the slide?

deathracer

Feb 14, 2010
    REVOLVER. Really cannot understand why not? Ease of use 110%. Too many individuals really believe they are going to war needing high capacity. Name one news story where someone protecting their home ever reported firing more than a couple rounds? Unless you are a city cop that misses 14 of the 15 shots then only makes a flesh wound, who fires that much?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Have him try holding the slide and racking the frame. It sounds stupid, but a lot of our "weak" customers find it much easier that way.
    Grab the slide and push the grip forward.

When I taught, that is what I taught smaller students.

Grab the slide with all the fingers and thumb, and then PUSH the two hands together.

Worked for most everyone.

krb

Apr 5, 2013
    Elkridge
    My wife got two 9mm S&W EZ's. One for upstairs, one down. The grip safety takes a little getting used to for some folks.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Name one news story where someone protecting their home ever reported firing more than a couple

There’s more than just anecdotes, these days there’s video.

Just off the top of my head I’m reminded of this lady and her multiple, armed, unwanted house guests:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Thanks everyone, all great replies and points. We’ll refrain from replacing the spring and see if he’s interested in another pistol. He tried the method where you push the frame and hold the slide however that was a no go. Problem is two fold, weak pinch of slide and not sting enough to physically pull the slide back even if the pinch was fine. I also order a slide racker to see if that helps.
    The loss of strength happened quickly over the last few months and he recently bought the glock shortly before it happened. If we’re able to figure it out I’ll report back with the solution.
    Thanks everyone.
    theres been many times im in a gunshop and see the workers trying to sell old people a Glock...

My wife has the same issue. Bad wrists cause her pain when gripping the slide. Have often wondered about attachments to lessen the pain of grasping the slide.

Any thoughts on using a red dot to help rack the slide. The other thing that came to mind is the little attachment used in shooting competitions, but that would cause issues with CC.

Would it damage the red dot to use it to assist in racking the slide?
    I would say no, not a good idea..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom