• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    What do you have to lose by reporting them as stolen? Get a police report, forward it to the ATF.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    What are the guns you are looking for? Can't help if you're not specific.

As for understanding the shops, the gun shop I worked in, we would have somebody sell us a gun, then sometimes a father or friend would show up wanting it back. They would claim it was theirs's and the kid stole it or an heirloom or whatever. Sometimes a friend would find out his buddy sold it too cheap, or he wanted it and wanted to buy it back for cheap.
    We would have to tell them to file a police report. Sometimes if we thought the situation had any merit, we would hold the gun in the back for a couple days.
    Happened about once a week. I think only once that I know of, the situation escalated to the next level, then was dropped.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    What are the guns you are looking for? Can't help if you're not specific.

As for understanding the shops, the gun shop I worked in, we would have somebody sell us a gun, then sometimes a father or friend would show up wanting it back. They would claim it was theirs's and the kid stole it or an heirloom or whatever. Sometimes a friend would find out his buddy sold it too cheap, or he wanted it and wanted to buy it back for cheap.
    We would have to tell them to file a police report. Sometimes if we thought the situation had any merit, we would hold the gun in the back for a couple days.
    Happened about once a week. I think only once that I know of, the situation escalated to the next level, then was dropped.

I only have a partial list. As follows

Remington 700 in 300 Weatherby mag
    45-70 Marlin lever action
    Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 7mm Rem mag
    a 416 Rigby not sure make and model
    Browning 300 win mag
    mossberg 695 12 gauge
    Browning 375 H&H mag
    Tauras 410/45
    Ruger blackhawk 44 mag

This is what we have the serial numbers for minus the Rigby. As for the police side my mom is handling that as she is the executor of the estate. I'm just trying to help my cousins find their dad's collection as they would like to have it not the money.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I’d report to ATF and MSP all of them as being stolen and the serial numbers you know of.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Short of producing a written agreement to the contrary, I can't think of any scenario whereby your uncle's partner would have any legitimate claim whatsoever to your uncle's firearms. In addition, the rifles you mentioned (if in good condition) have considerable value. Your uncle clearly bought quality.

I'd definitely report this to the State Police for openers, and go from there. Do include known serial numbers. If partner won't speak to your uncle's personal representative, then the partner can answer to the police, to a judge or to both.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I only have a partial list. As follows

Remington 700 in 300 Weatherby mag
    45-70 Marlin lever action
    Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 7mm Rem mag
    a 416 Rigby not sure make and model
    Browning 300 win mag
    mossberg 695 12 gauge
    Browning 375 H&H mag
    Tauras 410/45
    Ruger blackhawk 44 mag

This is what we have the serial numbers for minus the Rigby. As for the police side my mom is handling that as she is the executor of the estate. I'm just trying to help my cousins find their dad's collection as they would like to have it not the money.
    Will keep an eye out, most of those would catch my attention for sure. The model 70 would have to be a custom or post 64. The Marlin is highly sought after. The other guns are big calibers not often seen as a standard deer cartridge. The Tauras and Blackhawk will get someone's attention.

I acquired a beautiful M1 Garand from an estate and helped the lady sell the collection. No way did I want to part with the M1 at any price. A distant nephew in Seattle found out I had it. He had bought some of the other guns at a fair price. Finally, I sold it to him, he gifted it to his father who was the man's brother. Sad for me, but it was the right thing to do.
    I hope you locate them and get this resolved.

2ndatrades

Aug 20, 2020
    Howard County
    This is a wake-up call for me to get my will straight and serial numbers to the people I want to have them.

I legit went through all my firearms at the start of the year and made a spreadsheet of all my firearms that include any/all identifying information and notes on each firearm. If anything were to happen to me my wife would have no idea what exactly is in the safe and what they are worth.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I wish you the best of luck Rick. This would be eating at me to no end. I couldn't imagine what you must be going through.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Thinking outside of the box...
    If the business partner was in any way threatening...
    And If you can figure out how to get a restraining order against the business partner... the police will come and take his guns.
    I would not make a false claim, but if he is an A-hole and you can use any threatening language against him... do it.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Short of producing a written agreement to the contrary, I can't think of any scenario whereby your uncle's partner would have any legitimate claim whatsoever to your uncle's firearms. In addition, the rifles you mentioned (if in good condition) have considerable value. Your uncle clearly bought quality.

I'd definitely report this to the State Police for openers, and go from there. Do include known serial numbers. If partner won't speak to your uncle's personal representative, then the partner can answer to the police, to a judge or to both.
    I agree with this advice. Report the collection as stolen, get a copy of the police report. Then, forward it to the business partner, tell him you're not going to sue, but instead have taken a different course. I'm not a lawyer, but it wouldn't be a false claim. They were part of the estate and they've been stolen from that estate.

JoeR.

Sent from my SM-T547U using Tapatalk

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    Report the ones you have serial numbers on to the police. If they are at a shop they will report to the police. The police can check if he has any other guns on consignment there. Also how can he sell a gun without documentation isn’t that against federal law now a days.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I wish you the best of luck Rick. This would be eating at me to no end. I couldn't imagine what you must be going through.

It's eating at all of us. I don't have a dog in the fight I'm representing the estate on behalf of my mom as she's in Florida where she lives. The estates attorney and her are handling the legal side of this. I'm hoping to prevent the sale of the collection so my cousins can get their dads firearms.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    Best of luck. My ex's side of the family had a crooked uncle who was the executor for her grandmother. Missing bonds and god only knows what else. Dude moved to sc without telling anyone. Super sketchy.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom