• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Let me start off by saying I'm not that knowledgeable on nfa items. I'm basically seeking member advice on the purchase of a pistol caliber short barrel rifle or a pistol with brace (if they are still legal). Would one purchase be easier than the other? Where would be a good place to start?

Cryptotek1

May 1, 2017
    Pistol with brace is easier to purchase. Simply a regulated firearm purchase. HQL required.

The SBR requires the tax stamp and a wait. In addition, the SBR will still need to be 29 inches in overall length, while the pistol/brace can be as small as you can make it. Of course, there's always the concern of the ATF or MD government banning or otherwise regulating pistol braces.

Someone will come along and correct me if I'm misleading you.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    It's faster than buying a factory SBR

Form 4 to buy an SBR. Wait time from 7 to 12 months

Form 1 to make an SBR from a pistol. Generally 30ish days

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    Unless you really want a full stock and or a vertical foregrip I'd just do the pistol with a brace. SBR you will buy, pay for the stamp, then get to go visit it for the next year. If you're staying with a pistol caliber I'd definitely go with the braced pistol.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    Braced pistol is much easier to take across state lines if needed. Don’t need to ask the ATF for permission.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    If you may want to SBR it down the road, I’d ensure that it meets the Maryland SBR requirement of 29 inches overall length (OAL), measured from the butt of the stock fully extended to the tip of the barrel (not including flash hider unless it’s pin/welded).

To meet those requirements, that is generally a 10.5 inch barrel or longer and a standard carbine length buffer tube, if using an AR pattern receiver set.

Most of the pistol caliber braced firearms will have a tough time with this. Good luck getting an Mp5 or an MPX to 29 inches.

MaicoBill

MDS Supporter
    Aug 17, 2020
    If you may want to SBR it down the road, I’d ensure that it meets the Maryland SBR requirement of 29 inches overall length (OAL), measured from the butt of the stock fully extended to the tip of the barrel (not including flash hider unless it’s pin/welded).

To meet those requirements, that is generally a 10.5 inch barrel or longer and a standard carbine length buffer tube, if using an AR pattern receiver set.

Most of the pistol caliber braced firearms will have a tough time with this. Good luck getting an Mp5 or an MPX to 29 inches.

I agree, I am in the process of waiting on my Form 1 for a H&K SP5. I had to use a adapter for a A-2 stock, that I modified (lengthened ) 5/8" to hit the 29" requirement.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

A 9mm 10.5" barrel will come up about a half inch short for a Md legal SBR using a standard AR buffer tube because 9mm chamber extensions are shorter that 5.56/.223's. He would either need an 11" barrel (see Ballistic Advantage) or a Vltor A5 buffer tube setup. Magpul now makes a thicker butt pad for their stocks, but I'm not sure if they are thick enough to make up the difference.

A braced pistol does not have a minimum length. Only a max LOP. Any 'pistol', factory built, will have to be on the roster(or built before the roster's inception?).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Let me start off by saying I'm not that knowledgeable on nfa items. I'm basically seeking member advice on the purchase of a pistol caliber short barrel rifle or a pistol with brace (if they are still legal). Would one purchase be easier than the other? Where would be a good place to start?

The easiest route to a pistol caliber SBR is to first build it as a pistol(with or without a brace). This is what most people do. If you decide to build on an AR lower receiver, which is the easiest, building it on a dedicated pistol caliber lower will get yo past the 7 day waiting period. They are cash and carry. You still need to fill out the federal form and pass a NICS, but that's it. Order the lower on line, have it sent to your FFL, pick it up when it comes in. You shouldn't have much trouble finding an AR pistol upper on line, though you will need to be a little picky about barrel length in order to meet the 29" minimum length requirement(if you are in Md) for center fire SBRs.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The real argument for SBRs right now is that the ATF is hot to ban braced pistols, and thus they may not be a great long-term investment. Of course, if you want to go < 29" OAL, there's no other game in town.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The real argument for SBRs right now is that the ATF is hot to ban braced pistols, and thus they may not be a great long-term investment. Of course, if you want to go < 29" OAL, there's no other game in town.

I have a few "pistols" that, once I depart this beautiful state, will become SBRs. I refuse to put a barrel longer than 6" on 9mms(I do have one 9mm SBR with an 11" barrel that I never shoot).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have a few "pistols" that, once I depart this beautiful state, will become SBRs. I refuse to put a barrel longer than 6" on 9mms(I do have one 9mm SBR with an 11" barrel that I never shoot).
    Weirdly enough, I've been converting back to 16" on a few rifles because of some competition rules. Must admit that the shorter barrels are very nice with cans on them, though.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    A 9mm 10.5" barrel will come up about a half inch short for a Md legal SBR using a standard AR buffer tube because 9mm chamber extensions are shorter that 5.56/.223's. He would either need an 11" barrel (see Ballistic Advantage) or a Vltor A5 buffer tube setup. Magpul now makes a thicker butt pad for their stocks, but I'm not sure if they are thick enough to make up the difference.

A braced pistol does not have a minimum length. Only a max LOP. Any 'pistol', factory built, will have to be on the roster(or built before the roster's inception?).

Good point, I stand corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom