• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Inexperienced boaters it sounds like, may they rest in peace, and they are found soon.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    The sea is a harsh mistress. Unforgiving. B1tch.

May God help the kids who were lost…their families too.

Jon boats are shallow water, nice weather craft on a good day.

Immersion suits, like PFDs, save lives. October is when CG stations on the bay tend to dictate crews don pumpkins (Mustangs). That’s not because they’re comfy or make underway tasks easier but for safety.

Some good data provided up thread.

Prevention is a strategy. Cure is a tactic…often a failed and expensive tactic.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Not funny at all.
    View attachment 332614

May G-d have mercy on the souls of the dead.

If they were inexperienced, they learned the hard truth.

(Janice Ian wonders if they were 17)

If they were experienced (Jimmi Hendrix weeps), they made a fatal mistake, or got surprised by terrible conditions out of the blue.

To quote Mr Scrooge, "Life is hard"

The old cook, who came on deck at 5 pm, weeps many bitter tears

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220123-153120.jpg
      Screenshot_20220123-153120.jpg
      65.3 KB · Views: 250

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    My former in laws had a house down there. I know that water very well. If the tide was running hard the current is impossible to swim against even in summer. Add the water temp probably in the mid to upper 30s and the 2 that survived must have an angel watching over them. When the tide is rolling the current travels around 6-7 MPH...they had little chance.
    Same. In exact same area nearly swamped my 16ft jon with just me and my son in it, almost no gear.

When the wind goes against the tide you get rollers through there
    Current is really bad too, if it was going out the missing kid is in the Atlantic

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Inexperienced boaters it sounds like, may they rest in peace, and they are found soon.

4 grown people is too many on a 16' jon. That doesn't even account for all their gear, which would have been another couple hundred pounds.

Last year I was hunting Assateague bay. There were three of us in a 16' jon. Going back in we were going head-on in to 20mph winds...it was ugly. I had to bail water with a coffee mug continuously to prevent the oversplash from filling up the boat. That experience taught me that I needed to put a bilge on my jon boat, and that for water that big, I need a bigger boat. The good part about that was you could stand in most of that bay, and there isn't much of a current.

I've taken my 14' jon across the channel outside of Ocean City...that is a butt-puckering experience for sure. That water is deep and moves FAST, like the water at Chincoteague.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom