• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

That is super cool for 'cabin' as it looks like someone built a modern log-cabin to look like the colonial era cabins in this area. Also, it has a fridge on the porch, that way you dont have to go inside to get your beer while you sit on the porch shooting at squirrels with a .22 :D

It's made up of 3 separate parcels and its one of those cabin subdivisions. The subdivision doesn't seem to have many properties where someone built an actual cabin, many just have campers. The listing says 'no HOA', which brings me back to my post all the way up 'who owns your road'. Chances are there is a road maintenance agreement of some sort that obliges all the lot owners to chip in whenever the steep gravel road washes out.

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    My wife and I have a land at a WV resort called Alpine Lake that we are considering selling. www.alpinelake.com

The land is located only 735 feet from the lake. The Beach and Boat dock is a little over 1000 feet down a nice gentle path through the woods. There's a small stream at the far end of the property and the land is situated for optimal use of solar panels.

There's fiber internet, a lodge with a gym and indoor swimming pool and let's not forget a golf course. They allow golf carts on the roads and in the winter they have cross country skiing and sledding. It's really gorgeous up there.

The land is about a 3rd of an acre, it has electric/water/sewage at the road. Alpine Lake has 24/7 Security, a hotel and small restaurant. It's only 5 to 10 miles from Deep Creek Lake, as the crow flies, but takes less than 30 minutes to drive there the back way. Oakland is about a 15 minute drive on state roads.

PM Me if you have any questions if you are interested.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That is super cool for 'cabin' as it looks like someone built a modern log-cabin to look like the colonial era cabins in this area. Also, it has a fridge on the porch, that way you dont have to go inside to get your beer while you sit on the porch shooting at squirrels with a .22 :D

It's made up of 3 separate parcels and its one of those cabin subdivisions. The subdivision doesn't seem to have many properties where someone built an actual cabin, many just have campers. The listing says 'no HOA', which brings me back to my post all the way up 'who owns your road'. Chances are there is a road maintenance agreement of some sort that obliges all the lot owners to chip in whenever the steep gravel road washes out.

Yeah, I quite like the look of it. The two extra parcels make it a good deal in my eyes. Enough room to set up a .22 range with a backstop and do some hunting. There are a few other cabins on the mountain, but nothing within range to make you worry about the "neighbors."

If I was a little bit further on in my career and comfortable with my position in the company and the commensurate salary, I'd be looking at it seriously, but I'm still in my first year at the district level, and things are getting rocky thanks to the supply chain issues, staffing challenges, etc.

Hoping Sealion can convince his wife to buy it so I can live vicariously through them.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I like Alpine Lake. My wife and I like the Terra Alta area. I imagine that is where we will end up when we are done working. It is on the short list (top 3) of places to move.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Im getting qualified for a loan at this time for land and home in West Virginia. I dont want to take that much out of my 401K at this time. I have been looking for many months at property there. My on son called me a few weeks ago about two properties with houses down in south W.VA. Its his wifes parents old place and the other is near also and the grandparents place when alive. One is about 13 acres and two homes and outbuildings. Has a river running past front of house. The other is like 7 acres and a Modular home and all metal roof and sides. I am going to look at them soom. I need to get away when I retire in a few years. They are giving me a deal I cant refuse on either one.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    You won’t regret it. My brother and I have 90 acres in WV. Building a home on it is not practical from a access standpoint unfortunately. We have a hunting “cabin” there. Grateful non the less.

I’m hoping at some point to buy a house close by on maybe a couple acres that I can retire on and still be close to the property.

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    What's the HOA charge in there?

For just the land it is just shy of $900 a year. Land and house is around $2k. You do get discounts at the restaurant, golf, hotel and if you rent someone else's house.

I'll update the actual numbers later.

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    Depends on different factors from what I've seen. I'm not sure for lots/land, but the few houses for sale in the resort range from $1250 annually to $2550 annually in the listings.

Maxx can obviously tell you what his current HOA is.

I don't pay for the HOA fee for land and home so I don't know off hand what that is. I know it's around $2k.

I'll look it up and post later.

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    I like Alpine Lake. My wife and I like the Terra Alta area. I imagine that is where we will end up when we are done working. It is on the short list (top 3) of places to move.

It's a beautiful place. We've own property there for over 10 years.

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    What's the HOA charge in there?

Here's the current numbers for this year.

$971.88 Non improved land

$1536.36 for land and house plus an additional $722 for capital improvement.

I was totally against the capital improvement fee but it is being used wisely so I'm more in favor of it.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Just across the border. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/164-Beavertail-Dr-Bruceton-Mills-WV-26525/58186377_zpid/

Good price, plenty of land, shell for a second home. Perfect for the retiree/remote worker who either wants Air BnB income or a "guest house" for family and friends.

And yes, high-speed internet runs here. My buddy who works for Crowdstrike lives in the area and has zero issues managing all the data centers from his cabin in the mountains.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Just across the border. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/164-Beavertail-Dr-Bruceton-Mills-WV-26525/58186377_zpid/

Good price, plenty of land, shell for a second home. Perfect for the retiree/remote worker who either wants Air BnB income or a "guest house" for family and friends.

And yes, high-speed internet runs here. My buddy who works for Crowdstrike lives in the area and has zero issues managing all the data centers from his cabin in the mountains.
    Just saw this, and, man, looks nice. Hopefully stuff like this is available when we're done paying off our mortgage in a few years. :P

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Saw in a press release out of Manchin's office just now:

Toyota has announced a $73 million investment in its Buffalo, #WV plant to increase hybrid transaxle production, bringing their total investment in the Buffalo plant to $533 million in the last 12 months.

So that's over in the west-most part of the state, near OH and KY. But a good sign of life in the kind of sector that WV's gubmint should keep working hard to attract.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Just saw this, and, man, looks nice. Hopefully stuff like this is available when we're done paying off our mortgage in a few years. :P

Inventory is so low right now it would be very hard for it to go much lower. There are only about 280 total listings in Berkeley and Jefferson counties together right now. Absolutely nuts how low that is. When you filter that by houses with at least an acre and a garage you get 18 at the moment and that is with no price limit. right off the top 6 of them are over a million. if you cap it at 500K there are 5 active single family listings with at least 1 acre lot and a garage.

Raise that price limit up to 700k and its still only 9 houses.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Inventory is so low right now it would be very hard for it to go much lower. There are only about 280 total listings in Berkeley and Jefferson counties together right now. Absolutely nuts how low that is. When you filter that by houses with at least an acre and a garage you get 18 at the moment and that is with no price limit. right off the top 6 of them are over a million. if you cap it at 500K there are 5 active single family listings with at least 1 acre lot and a garage.

Raise that price limit up to 700k and its still only 9 houses.

Yea it’s nuts. We live in Berkeley and although some nice houses are going up they are way too close to each other for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom