What's your favorite/recommended .22 handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 31, 2021
    22 is not a bad way to learn. As you get comfortable you can always step up to larger caliber. That said, I think a Ruger would be your best bet.

PaFrank

Apr 2, 2020
    I've shot the 22/45 and the SR-22 a lot, so here's my thoughts on those:

The only thing I have against the 22/45 is that it's kind of a pain to disassemble for cleaning. It feels great, shoots accurately, and looks very nice, especially if you opt for wood grips.

Hope that helps.

I have a 22/45 as well and I like it a lot.. If you get the upgrades from tandemcross or other aftermarket parts makers you can get the stuff you need that makes disassembly a snap. las i looked you can get em all for about a hundred bucks. or you can pick and choose.. Then you will really like your 22!

Benny

Feb 20, 2019
    I very much enjoy my Ruger Mark II. I’ve been thinking of picking up a Mark IV, which is supposed to be much easier to reassemble. A few months ago I picked up a Ruger Wrangler to use to teach my kids how to shoot. I love it. Rugers are great first 22LR handguns.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    OP didn't last 48 hrs between first and last post. In 2014.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    If you really want a nice shooter, pick up an old Colt Woodsman or a Challenger. The Challenger is more affordable, but these guns are very accurate and light, built just right for the smaller 22 LR. S$W K22 are also good, if you like a revolver.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Have a Ruger Mark 1 , S&W Victory and a Ruger single six (+22mag) . Had a Beretta but eh didn’t care to much for it. The new Rugers I wouldn’t mind getting but I shoot my Victory mostly.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I very much enjoy my Ruger Mark II. I’ve been thinking of picking up a Mark IV, which is supposed to be much easier to reassemble. A few months ago I picked up a Ruger Wrangler to use to teach my kids how to shoot. I love it. Rugers are great first 22LR handguns.

Highly recommend the LCP II in .22LR for a fun plinker as well- not much competition in that size range.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Smith & Wesson 17 / 617 gives you the feel and sight radius of your K-Frame without feeding your 19 /66 or whatever K you like for practice and drills.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Smith & Wesson 17 / 617 gives you the feel and sight radius of your K-Frame without feeding your 19 /66 or whatever K you like for practice and drills.
    Yes, yes it does.....
    431b0f711b9cb158ce34f98f65facbd6.jpg

17 on top, 19 on bottom. Ramp vs. Square front site and the size of the holes are the only differences.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a number of .22 handguns. But my favorite plinker is a Walther PPK/S in .22

It shoots like an extension of my hand. Like pointing a finger.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I weighed in on this thread back in 2015 and choose the GSG 1911 22. Since then I've acquired a Beretta M9-22 and a Buckmark. I'm still thinking I like shooting the GSG the most. I guess I'm just partial to the 1911 platform.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Only have a buckmark, but I love it. I’ve shot a few other 22 handguns and the buckmark is certainly my favorite. I am really looking forward to suppressing it.

Very accurate.

But I am hot and heavy for this

https://diamondbackfirearms.com/sidekick/

I am nervous how accurate and reliable it’ll be. But I am very hopeful. Fortunately as long as it takes stuff to get added to the Maryland handgun list, there will be awhile to hear reviews before making a snap decision to buy it. It seems to be a lot for not a lot of price.

OldBay

Apr 26, 2020
    MD
    The Glock 44 gets mixed reviews, but I haven't had any issues except with subsonic ammo. Stick with the high velocity and it cycles well.

Attachments

• IMG_0615.jpg
      IMG_0615.jpg
      75.7 KB · Views: 111

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads