• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Just got it home!

I got a Winchester in 357. I just got it home and haven't wiped it off yet.
    What a nice rifle! Beautiful stock, the pictures and oil finish don't do it justice. The trigger is great, a bit heavy, maybe 5-6 lbs. but crisp. The carbine ladder sight is as nice as the originals, maybe nicer. I have some original Lyman and Marble's tang sights in new condition that will fit it but it would be a shame to take the ladder sight off.
    I'm still looking for a deluxe Uberti or high grade Winchester. Maybe I'll get a long barrel and save a tang sight for it.

Attachments

• 1873.jpg
      1873.jpg
      115.5 KB · Views: 229
    • 1873 left.jpg
      1873 left.jpg
      143.4 KB · Views: 164

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I found a Cimarron Texas Brush Popper this morning and bought it. When it comes I'll be able to compare them. The Uberti is a beautiful gun but this Winchester is going to be hard to beat.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I got a Winchester in 357. I just got it home and haven't wiped it off yet.
    What a nice rifle! Beautiful stock, the pictures and oil finish don't do it justice. The trigger is great, a bit heavy, maybe 5-6 lbs. but crisp. The carbine ladder sight is as nice as the originals, maybe nicer. I have some original Lyman and Marble's tang sights in new condition that will fit it but it would be a shame to take the ladder sight off.
    I'm still looking for a deluxe Uberti or high grade Winchester. Maybe I'll get a long barrel and save a tang sight for it.

Congratulations again

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I found a Cimarron Texas Brush Popper this morning and bought it. When it comes I'll be able to compare them. The Uberti is a beautiful gun but this Winchester is going to be hard to beat.

I just bought the Texas Brush Popper as well. I look forward to your comparison!

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Got the Cimarron to compare

I just bought the Texas Brush Popper as well. I look forward to your comparison!
    I got the Texas Brush Popper today. Another beautiful rifle. Both the Winchester and Uberti/Cimerron 1873's are brand new, I just wiped them off and did a brief comparison, haven't shot them yet.
    Both are equally nicely made. The Win has a tight fitting oil finish stock, nice wood that's a little bit proud to the metal. The Uberti has a pistol grip, nice sharp checkering. The fit is more level to the metal but not as tight to the tang area, about the thickness of a piece of paper gap between the metal and wood.
    The Win's stroke is about an inch or so less than the Uberti. The Win's action is smooth and light, almost a loose feel when the follower drops, the Uberti is more snappy.
    When you cycle the action with the hammer down the Uberti isn't as smooth because of the hammer spring. The hammer spring stacks, it gets harder as it nears the cocked position, you can feel it when cycling the action. Pioneer sells an after market hammer spring assembly that would correct the issue although it's not noticeable unless you're looking for issues. Both have a half cock safety, no extra external safety button.
    The Uberti action has a tiny bit of feel, burrs that will probably smooth out quickly with a little break-in. Uberti doesn't have that ugly safety screw on top the dust cover dovetail or that button on the back of the firing pin like the Winchester. Both have equally nice triggers, a bit heavy but crisp with little or no creep.
    The Cimerron has more authentic barrel markings like an original Winchester with the King's patent but says Cimerron instead of Winchester. The import marks are in more discreet locations as is the serial number too. The model number is tastefully done on the tang which is not tapped for a tang sight.
    The Winchester has ugly markings and a sentence about being imported as well as a long coded conspicuous serial number. The tang is tapped for a tang sight, the model number is just stamped on the tang.
    The Uberti seems to be heavy when you pick it up, the 18" half octagon barrel adds some weight even though it's 2" shorter with a nice flat crown. Great buckhorn sights for my old eyes. Easy to see and line up with the front, a dovetailed with a set screw and flat blade. The Win has a carbine ladder sight as nice as an original. It has a rounded crown. Both bores are mirror bright and polished with no tool marks.
    The Uberti's action is also about an 1/8" longer and the gun weighs 7 or 8 oz. more than the 20" round barrel Win. Both are equally finished, nice deep black blue, polished nice, sharp corners and screws. The Cimerron's color case was about average on the lock plates but more vivid on the receiver and lever. Curiously the lever was mostly straight and didn't curve to fit the pistol grip. The Win's loading gate opened easier and smoother than the Uberti.
    Either gun exhibits nice workmanship and high quality. Any flaws are more perceived and minor than a real issue. To have to decide on one or the other, you'd have to start looking at customer service, cost or availability... or flip a coin. Cheers!

Attachments

• Uberti a.jpg
      Uberti a.jpg
      52.4 KB · Views: 129
    • Uberti.jpg
      Uberti.jpg
      67.4 KB · Views: 106

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I got the Texas Brush Popper today. Another beautiful rifle. Both the Winchester and Uberti/Cimerron 1873's are brand new, I just wiped them off and did a brief comparison, haven't shot them yet.
    Both are equally nicely made. The Win has a tight fitting oil finish stock, nice wood that's a little bit proud to the metal. The Uberti has a pistol grip, nice sharp checkering. The fit is more level to the metal but not as tight to the tang area, about the thickness of a piece of paper gap between the metal and wood.
    The Win's stroke is about an inch or so less than the Uberti. The Win's action is smooth and light, almost a loose feel when the follower drops, the Uberti is more snappy.
    When you cycle the action with the hammer down the Uberti isn't as smooth because of the hammer spring. The hammer spring stacks, it gets harder as it nears the cocked position, you can feel it when cycling the action. Pioneer sells an after market hammer spring assembly that would correct the issue although it's not noticeable unless you're looking for issues. Both have a half cock safety, no extra external safety button.
    The Uberti action has a tiny bit of feel, burrs that will probably smooth out quickly with a little break-in. Uberti doesn't have that ugly safety screw on top the dust cover dovetail or that button on the back of the firing pin like the Winchester. Both have equally nice triggers, a bit heavy but crisp with little or no creep.
    The Cimerron has more authentic barrel markings like an original Winchester with the King's patent but says Cimerron instead of Winchester. The import marks are in more discreet locations as is the serial number too. The model number is tastefully done on the tang which is not tapped for a tang sight.
    The Winchester has ugly markings and a sentence about being imported as well as a long coded conspicuous serial number. The tang is tapped for a tang sight, the model number is just stamped on the tang.
    The Uberti seems to be heavy when you pick it up, the 18" half octagon barrel adds some weight even though it's 2" shorter with a nice flat crown. Great buckhorn sights for my old eyes. Easy to see and line up with the front, a dovetailed with a set screw and flat blade. The Win has a carbine ladder sight as nice as an original. It has a rounded crown. Both bores are mirror bright and polished with no tool marks.
    The Uberti's action is also about an 1/8" longer and the gun weighs 7 or 8 oz. more than the 20" round barrel Win. Both are equally finished, nice deep black blue, polished nice, sharp corners and screws. The Cimerron's color case was about average on the lock plates but more vivid on the receiver and lever. Curiously the lever was mostly straight and didn't curve to fit the pistol grip. The Win's loading gate opened easier and smoother than the Uberti.
    Either gun exhibits nice workmanship and high quality. Any flaws are more perceived and minor than a real issue. To have to decide on one or the other, you'd have to start looking at customer service, cost or availability... or flip a coin. Cheers!

Congrats and thank you for the review!
    My Cimarron action feels a bit rough but may be okay after it’s broken in a bit. I’d love to add a short stroke kit and have it “slicked up” but I’m not sure who to take/send it to. Any thoughts?

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/#action
    http://www.pioneergunworks.com/
    First I would just try smoothing the parts up. I do this with all new guns as not to get the bolt and parts all scratched up. Be ever so careful as not to bugger the screws or parts with ill-fitting screw drivers. Have the proper tools.
    I would probably get the Pioneer super short kit and do it myself if I wanted to further enhance the speed. I would call Cody first and see what he has to offer.
    Ask yourself do you really need the speed? Are you a bang, bang, bang junky, is it worth the money and ammo? I feel any gun should function smooth and be accurate as well as a pleasing appearance and workmanship. I stay away from "upgrades" and custom work that may add to malfunctions. I'm leery of light springs that could cause misfires although lawyer proof factory parts need dealt with.
    Re-read some of the posts here. These guys have some experience, and all seemed to know what they were talking about from experience, not from the armchair.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Congrats and thank you for the review!
    My Cimarron action feels a bit rough but may be okay after it’s broken in a bit. I’d love to add a short stroke kit and have it “slicked up” but I’m not sure who to take/send it to. Any thoughts?

Cody Conagher, just south of Berkley Springs. Absolutely no doubt in this recommendation.

http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/

Worked on and short stroked my 1866. Also did a great job on a Rossi shotgun.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/#action
    http://www.pioneergunworks.com/
    First I would just try smoothing the parts up. I do this with all new guns as not to get the bolt and parts all scratched up. Be ever so careful as not to bugger the screws or parts with ill-fitting screw drivers. Have the proper tools.
    I would probably get the Pioneer super short kit and do it myself if I wanted to further enhance the speed. I would call Cody first and see what he has to offer.
    Ask yourself do you really need the speed? Are you a bang, bang, bang junky, is it worth the money and ammo? I feel any gun should function smooth and be accurate as well as a pleasing appearance and workmanship. I stay away from "upgrades" and custom work that may add to malfunctions. I'm leery of light springs that could cause misfires although lawyer proof factory parts need dealt with.
    Re-read some of the posts here. These guys have some experience, and all seemed to know what they were talking about from experience, not from the armchair.

All good points.
    Thank you.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Can’t help you, but coincidentally just ran across this earlier today so thought I’d share. Cool guns no matter which you choose.

KyleRogue

Nov 19, 2017
    Westminster
    Fabulous set of 1873's OP! Congrats. You will have lots of fun at the range with them (if you can find ammo). The Miroku is not picky about short OAL, so 38spl works fine. Sometimes I have problems with Fiocchi 357CA because they are so long (1.62 inches) that 10 rounds fit so tight in the magazine it can jam the carrier.

I got the Miroku "short" rifle - 20 inch barrel, but not a carbine. It's four years old now. Make sure you have gun grease where the finger lever and carrier springs glide on the lever and carrier arms. Also grease the toggle grooves if they don't have grease already. These are the most critical wear points.

My original 1873 is a SRC. It looks good on the outside, for 139 years old, but was a mess on the inside when I bought it. I needed to replace a lot of parts to get it working. The magazine tube is a replacement. I also bought a carbine rear site (not in this picture).

Attached pics:

Attachments

• win1873srcDoM1883.jpg
      win1873srcDoM1883.jpg
      47.3 KB · Views: 80
    • miroku1873_A.jpg
      miroku1873_A.jpg
      62.4 KB · Views: 135

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Fabulous set of 1873's OP! Congrats. You will have lots of fun at the range with them (if you can find ammo). The Miroku is not picky about short OAL, so 38spl works fine. Sometimes I have problems with Fiocchi 357CA because they are so long (1.62 inches) that 10 rounds fit so tight in the magazine it can jam the carrier.

I got the Miroku "short" rifle - 20 inch barrel, but not a carbine. It's four years old now. Make sure you have gun grease where the finger lever and carrier springs glide on the lever and carrier arms. Also grease the toggle grooves if they don't have grease already. These are the most critical wear points.

My original 1873 is a SRC. It looks good on the outside, for 139 years old, but was a mess on the inside when I bought it. I needed to replace a lot of parts to get it working. The magazine tube is a replacement. I also bought a carbine rear site (not in this picture).

Attached pics:
    Real nice, thanks for the tips! I'm just going to shoot my reloads.
    I'm looking at 38 loads for rifles. I have a lot of jacketed .357 bullets and 38 brass, I need to get some more 357 brass and see what kind of powder I have. The calculations show a stiff 38 load only about an inch lower than a 357 out to 75 yards and 2" lower @100. Heck, I can't see that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom