SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well, not as much as the two laser systems she wants “to go with it.” You know, just as accessories.

Honestly, she’s the biggest tool freak I know, and I’ve met ToolAA.

Wow! I’ve looked at laser engravers. May look again.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Wow! I’ve looked at laser engravers. May look again.

She’s happy with the sharp graving tool approach for now, but can see where the laser systems could help a lot with certain projects. Her problem is that she’s often working with multi-dimensional curved fine metal surfaces that are polished to a mirror. Like, anti-laser armor. There are techniques (everything gets lamp-blacked or the like), but there’s a big learning curve, different technologies and supporting software … a lot to digest. Oh, and evacuating clouds of toxic vaporized metal. Stuff like that. So for the moment, she’s working with old-school techniques powered by new fangled pneumatics. Here’s part of the rig, which is also used as a tiny high speed hammer for stone setting (which is her primary use so far):

View attachment 332921

Attachments

• 1362C00E-4A38-460C-B3EC-0D39510CB5B6.jpg
      1362C00E-4A38-460C-B3EC-0D39510CB5B6.jpg
      102.6 KB · Views: 346

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    For those with 3D printers, there are a few videos out there on converting them to laser printers....

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Most of the several home made firearms I’ve seen already have serial numbers engraved or stamped on the frame by the owner or builder. If a FFL is required to mark and log all the older home built guns, I don’t see that having multiple serial numbers on a single firearm would do anything but confuse anyone running the numbers

Someone I know had a computer controlled rotary engraver. I was talking to the technician from the company that made it and he said that several firearms manufacturers used this system to engrave the lowers.
    There are “CNC engraving machines” on eBay that could probably do a decent job of engraving a serial number on a gun.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I'll have to look into how a gunsmith FFL works if that ATF proposal becomes reality, and get a laser engraver for my printer.

I believe gunsmiths aren't considered retail stores, so they can be in residential neighborhoods more easily and then also transfer firearms to their own property...

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'll have to look into how a gunsmith FFL works if that ATF proposal becomes reality, and get a laser engraver for my printer.

I believe gunsmiths aren't considered retail stores, so they can be in residential neighborhoods more easily and then also transfer firearms to their own property...

The atf killed the gunsmithing license and made them all get 07 licensed (manufacturer in firearms other than destructive devices). You can get an 07 out of your house in some places. No retail sales is the usual caveat, county depending. Just keep in mind that the atf inspects ffls. If you do it, get a separate building on your property, give it an "A" address and put the business there.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Changed??
    Is not altering or removing a ser # from a firearm a felony (if your white and pay taxes)

The federal (18 USC 922(k)) law addresses importer and manufacturer serial numbers with importer/manufacturer required to be in the business of importing/manufacturing. The state laws (Public Safety 5-142(a)) only talk about the manufacturer's number. There does not appear to be a definition of what a manufacturer is in this subtitle.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    So what happens if someone has a bunch of 80% NOT finished? Do you serialize them? I mean you own a useless. Chuck of material, just haven't worked it yet.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    So what happens if someone has a bunch of 80% NOT finished? Do you serialize them? I mean you own a useless. Chuck of material, just haven't worked it yet.

You would need to determine if they were an "unfinished frame or receiver". Under the proposed bill
    (H) “UNFINISHED FRAME OR RECEIVER” MEANS A FORGED, CAST, PRINTED, EXTRUDED, OR MACHINED BODY OR SIMILAR ARTICLE THAT: (1) HAS REACHED A STAGE IN MANUFACTURE WHERE IT MAY READILY BE COMPLETED, ASSEMBLED, OR CONVERTED TO BE USED AS THE FRAME OR RECEIVER OF A FUNCTIONAL FIREARM; OR (2) IS MARKETED OR SOLD TO THE PUBLIC TO BECOME OR BE USED AS THE FRAME OR RECEIVER OF A FUNCTIONAL FIREARM ONCE COMPLETED, ASSEMBLED, OR CONVERTED.

There is some vagueness as to how "readily" may be interpreted as well as "is marketed or sold to the public"

I don't believe an 80% would be considered readily completed, but the ATF/state may have a different interpretation in the future.

I believe the "is marketed" part is a current thing, which I am guessing is not happening with your 80%. The state may have a different interpretation in the future.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Great way to make criminals out of people that have always done the right thing. Seems or is unlawful from where i sit/stand. Shameful

Maybe soon fossil fuel cars will be outlawed. Maybe speech.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Great way to make criminals out of people that have always done the right thing. Seems or is unlawful from where i sit/stand. Shameful

Maybe soon fossil fuel cars will be outlawed. Maybe speech.

They don't care what happens to the tax paying, law abiding citizen. Its all for the chillrenz :rolleyes:

This bill is a travesty and like every other bill they push doesn't deter a criminal or hold one responsible. These are always an attack on us and the 2A. Period!

Sad that this continues.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    A rectangular chunk of aluninum is readily convertible given the right skill set.

Dirt on the ground is readily convertible given the right skill set.

Intentionally vague? Maybe someone learned from the Everclear debacle?

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    This or ANY bill they pass is NOT for the Children.
    I'll be blunt:
    If you are the correct minority, you can have a violent rap sheet decades long, and this and other "gun safety" bills will not affect you in anyway.
    Remember this bill is a misdemeanor,, so a repeat felon wont spend much if any time in lockup, if they are even charged.
    Remember Balt is not prosecuting misdemeanors,,,

But if You happen to be white (or minority conservative in some cases), and hold a weapon up on your own property,, They will try to put you away for a long time.
    This is not speculation,, 2020-21 showed a very clear pattern of this.

They don't care what happens to the tax paying, law abiding citizen. Its all for the chillrenz :rolleyes:

This bill is a travesty and like every other bill they push doesn't deter a criminal or hold one responsible. These are always an attack on us and the 2A. Period!

Sad that this continues.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This or ANY bill they pass is NOT for the Children.
    I'll be blunt:
    If you are the correct minority, you can have a violent rap sheet decades long, and this and other "gun safety" bills will not affect you in anyway.
    Remember this bill is a misdemeanor,, so a repeat felon wont spend much if any time in lockup, if they are even charged.
    Remember Balt is not prosecuting misdemeanors,,,

But if You happen to be white (or minority conservative in some cases), and hold a weapon up on your own property,, They will try to put you away for a long time.
    This is not speculation,, 2020-21 showed a very clear pattern of this.

Maybe someone should tell these assholes that making law-abiding citizens criminals does nothing but increase the crime rate.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    HEADS UP

House Bill 425 is being heard on 2/9*in a virtual-only (Zoom)*hearing starting at 1 pm.

Senate Bill 387 is being heard on 2/16 in-person in a hearing starting at 1 pm in the Senate Judicial Proceedings room. Sign-up starts at 2/15 at 4pm and ends the morning of the hearing at 10am. Sign-up is best*done with your MyMGA account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom