• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Are they still doing interviews via phone? I’m out of state… so wondering how many trips I have to make. Do I need to do fingerprinting first, then they will do an interview even by phone at a later time? Once your approved. Assuming approval. Do they mail your license, or do you have to pick it up in persona?

I am also going to wait till the Supreme Court issues their opinion in NYSPRA v Bruen which will then release MSI v Hogan which is currently in abeyance[/B] pending NYSPRA.

Wondering what effect that will have on the licensing process. Assuming we win and I believe we will.

Fingerprinting has to be done before applying and only in state through approved Livescan vendors.

Link to FAQ’s:
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...estigationBureau/LicensingDivision/FAQs.aspx#

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    Probably been answered somewhere. Who or where is the most reasonably prices CCW class. I live in carroll county.

I am not not worried about the best, for me it would just be for the paperwork. Bonus of qualifying for the utah permit as well.

GearedUp in Westminster

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Fingerprinting has to be done before applying and only in state through approved Livescan vendors.

Link to FAQ’s:
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...estigationBureau/LicensingDivision/FAQs.aspx#

Yep like every other state that uses livescsn. Only in state. Livescsn is nationwide and at least 10 states use it for LTC/CCL’s p. It’s all electronic. So it befuddles my mind why the states and livescsn can’t get their act together to do fingerprints at any livesscan location nationwide.

Not surprised at all. I can see one can become a private vender too. However per the website. They are not taking applications currently to be a private vender. Go figure.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    GearedUp in Westminster

I am a Utah LTC instructor. You have to take a specific Utah LTC class instructed by a UTah certified and licensed Utah LTC instructor.

Now many classes around the country combine Utah with nra basic pistol, or various other state specific training and that’s allowed. As long as it’s taught by a Utah licensed LTC instructor

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Yep like every other state that uses livescsn. Only in state. Livescsn is nationwide and at least 10 states use it for LTC/CCL’s p. It’s all electronic. So it befuddles my mind why the states and livescsn can’t get their act together to do fingerprints at any livesscan location nationwide.

Not surprised at all. I can see one can become a private vender too. However per the website. They are not taking applications currently to be a private vender. Go figure.

Because hoops.

Nobody

xKtF

Nov 5, 2018
    Application submitted

App Submitted 11/29

App Accepted 12/1

Reassigned 12/7

More info requested(Didn't initially submit anything)

interview conducted 1/5/2022

Final disposition 1/21/2022 approved

card in hand 1/29/2022

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Application submitted

App Submitted 11/29

App Accepted 12/1

Reassigned 12/7

More info requested(Didn't initially submit anything)

interview conducted 1/5/2022

Final disposition 1/21/2022 approved

card in hand 1/29/2022

60 days consistently for some time now- definitely a difference since the electronic payment system put into place.

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    Renewing for the first time. My permit expires April 30th. I have the 8 hour class/requalify at the range done, fingerprints aren’t needed for renew, passport photo is done. It is now time to apply again and state my G and S.

Initially I obtained permit through my business. At the time I steady income in the business so it was an easy approval.

My business does still exist in good standing. I have not actively worked the business since august but I’m about to start again. However by the time the income comes in I will have already submitted application. I do have a 1099 for the business showing my 2021 total income.

I am also a full time federal employee with active secret level. I may still have active TS I’m not positive I think my TS expires in late 2022. However my agency security manager told me they don’t give out letters with my clearance. My CCW instructor thinks that my federal employee OPF file might be all they need to see but this file doesn’t show a level of clearance.

What do you guys suggest? How deep do they dig into the renewals versus the initial permits? Does it make more sense to stick with my original G and S which is the business and just explain I haven’t spent as much time on the business but I will be picking up again soon? Covid did play a big role in my slow down.

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    Renewing for the first time. My permit expires April 30th. I have the 8 hour class/requalify at the range done, fingerprints aren’t needed for renew, passport photo is done. It is now time to apply again and state my G and S.

Initially I obtained permit through my business. At the time I steady income in the business so it was an easy approval.

My business does still exist in good standing. I have not actively worked the business since august but I’m about to start again. However by the time the income comes in I will have already submitted application. I do have a 1099 for the business showing my 2021 total income.

I am also a full time federal employee with active secret level. I may still have active TS I’m not positive I think my TS expires in late 2022. However my agency security manager told me they don’t give out letters with my clearance. My CCW instructor thinks that my federal employee OPF file might be all they need to see but this file doesn’t show a level of clearance.

What do you guys suggest? How deep do they dig into the renewals versus the initial permits? Does it make more sense to stick with my original G and S which is the business and just explain I haven’t spent as much time on the business but I will be picking up again soon? Covid did play a big role in my slow down.

xKtF

Nov 5, 2018

I would think it would be easier to continue through the business vs a whole new reason. Have you had any sales since august? doesn't even have to be often.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012

I thought fingerprints were required again with renewal package. .??

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    I confirmed with my agency security manager today they will not provide a letter.

One thing I noticed on the application this time that is different from last time is that you now have the ability to select two G&S. I picked business and clearance. When I did this two years ago it forced you to pick one.

I have no business income since august 2021 but I do expect that to change very soon but maybe not by the time I submit. I expire in 90 days so I want to get my package done asap so it doesn’t lapse and I have to start over.

I do have a 1099 showing business income for 2021. I haven’t done my taxes yet to show all my annual expenses.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I confirmed with my agency security manager today they will not provide a letter.

One thing I noticed on the application this time that is different from last time is that you now have the ability to select two G&S. I picked business and clearance. When I did this two years ago it forced you to pick one.

I have no business income since august 2021 but I do expect that to change very soon but maybe not by the time I submit. I expire in 90 days so I want to get my package done asap so it doesn’t lapse and I have to start over.

I do have a 1099 showing business income for 2021. I haven’t done my taxes yet to show all my annual expenses.

As I understand it, they want to see that you made bank deposits to your business. Can you make a few small deposits of personal money to the business (accounted for properly)? This is perfectly legal as you are “seeding” your business. They only see deposit slips and the lines on your bank statement, not the checks. So your business will have income to show. You can pay yourself back later, through profit distributions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009

I renewed last year and my business was squat due to Covid. I just showed then the past 2 years tax forms and said i was still in business and expect to be again. This is my second renewal, your millage may vary

Nobody

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD

There is a work around with your agency security manager. You apply directly to the agency that you are cleared via FOIA (Freedom of Information Act). In it you to request you investigation report and current clearance. It will take about 3 months to get the info. I did this as even though I am retired and a contractor working for a company. My clearance is still active and will remain so even though I am no longer working for my company.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    There is a work around with your agency security manager. You apply directly to the agency that you are cleared via FOIA (Freedom of Information Act). In it you to request you investigation report and current clearance. It will take about 3 months to get the info. I did this as even though I am retired and a contractor working for a company. My clearance is still active and will remain so even though I am no longer working for my company.

Sorry, confused about the verbiage. You said you are retired and working for a company. Then you say your tickets are still active though you are no longer working for the company.. ?

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    I renewed last year and my business was squat due to Covid. I just showed then the past 2 years tax forms and said i was still in business and expect to be again. This is my second renewal, your millage may vary

Nobody

This is exactly what I’m planning to do. I can show income from my tax returns just not recent. Good to know. And I’m being totally honest when I say I do intend to increase the business activity again very soon.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

Nobody

Nobody is correct :) you aren’t required to show any specific amount of revenue stream just a legitimate, registered, licensed, taxed business entity that you own. The requirements say nothing about revenue.

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016

So I was able to talk with a MSP investigator yesterday who said the same thing. I can at least show a request was made through FOIA to buy me time while it processes. I reached out to my agencies FOIA office yesterday and left a message. This is a good little loophole. My security manager understood my request but naturally they will not touch anything with the word firearm in the request. This is the second agency that had this policy. It sucks MSP tells us we can use it but knows damn well half the agencies wont comply. Another funny thing is that even thought the scope of the investigation is less for a secret and than a top secret; they are adjudicated the exact same. Meaning, there is nothing derogatory that someone can do in which they would be granted for a secret but not a top secret.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom