• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    :envy:

Nothing yet here...
    I was totally shocked when my first reference called me at 7:30 and told me he was contacted, next one contacted at 7:45 not sure about number 3 and I was called at 9:30 and then my wife shortly afterwards.
    I never figured mine would happen either.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Despite living 8 minutes from and requesting the Frederick MSP Barracks, I had to interview with a Retired Trooper/Investigator more than an hour away, in Westminster.

My application included what the MSP might consider "G&S" under their permitting scheme.

I can’t help but wonder if those answering (9A) with "Self defense & all lawful purposes" are getting show interviews with Troopers in Frederick. Perhaps that frees the "investigators" up for what the MSP consider "legitimate" applications?
    Welcome to the club, I'm in the same situation. Had my interview back on Primary election day and I haven't heard anything since.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Interviewed today at the Cumberland Barracks. I was ask a lot of questions that were on the app. I was asked about presciption drugs, what I would carry and where I would keep it when I did not carry. I was asked about training. Brief interview, about 10 minutes. A friendly encounter with the trooper.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    I have had some recent developments in my permit app. My application has been kicked back to the trooper doing my investigation twice now over the same issue.

I had a crazy ex GF that got a protective order against me 10 years ago. I was up front and honest during the initial interview, providing case numbers and everything. The first time they kicked it back, they wanted more documentation which I provided and they also wanted to know If I knew how to get in touch with her. I told them I didnt but I knew she was a convicted felon so I suggested they look her up in NCIC database. The second time my application was kicked back, they wanted to recount everything about the incident surrounding the exparte order and talk to my mother. They are digging pretty deep, since the trooper told my mother he was aware that 6 years ago this ex GF of mine tried to use my moms identity to get a loan (I never told him this because it didnt concern me, just my mother)

I dont know if this is a good or bad thing. If we get the stay lifted I fully expect a permit. I filed with a G&S reason along with "ALL Lawful Purposes". But what I dont understand is why are they digging so deep with my application? Has anyone else had them dig this deep? The trooper has called me probably 4 times in the last 2 weeks. Im just wondering if they are trying to cover all the bases or they are just having that much trouble finding a reason to deny my permit if we get the stay lifted.

I think that is good news. To me it looks like they are doing what they should be doing -- verifying your side of the story.

If they were just going to deny you outright they wouldn't be working that hard.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Ok, I know a thread has been started along these lines, but it has become filled with a lot of off-topic posts.

This thread is designed for responses from anyone WHO HAS EITHER HAD A PHONE OR IN-PERSON INTERVIEW WITH THE MD STATE POLICE AND THE QUESTIONS ASKED...so that others reading it can get a quick and accurate idea of what they can expect. Please keep personal views/opinions/speculation to a minimum. A lot of us, myself included, want to give the state an earful about all the 2A BS right now, but let's stick to the facts in this thread. PLEASE reply to a specific post with questions regarding his/her interview and/or to clarify part of their comments (click the "quote" button so the person knows you are talking to them). With that said, and sorry for the soapbox, here was my morning.

Interviewed at the Westminster barracks (barrack G) with a Investigator (trooper) "V". The following questions were asked.

1.) All my demographic data
    2.) Why I want a permit
    3.) Employment info
    4.) If granted a permit, do I have a gun I would carry or do I plan to purchase one for carry/conceal use
    5.) The basics, "have you ever been/done/do..." drugs, alcohol, arrested, assault, etc, etc
    6.) Have you had a handgun training class (forgot to mention that one)

and the real winner....
    7.) What prescription medications are you on and what for? Followed by, "These meds don't bar you from a permit, HOWEVER, you need a doctor's note to say you are good guy and these meds won't affect you from carrying a gun."

-I wouldn't normally divulge personal info on a public site like this, but I feel it is necessary in regards to this last question. I am going into my 4th year of medical school and see/know a lot about the medications folks take everyday. Some med-lists run well into the 20+ per day. I, myself, happen to be on Prozac. To say the least, med-school really kicks your ass and it is not hard to find yourself becoming anxious and down at times, especially as you take on more responsibility (I have never been hospitalized, deemed a threat to myself or others, etc). I asked Officer V about the logic behind the last question and what the "red flag" medications were, as he called them. He told me, "the state is just concerned that certain meds would ah....(me: not mesh well with carrying a gun)....ah yeah, exactly, we aren't doctors so we just want a note from your doc thats all." I proceeded to ask him if they are not doctors, then what genius in the MDSP had the initial medical insight to question/raise the concern about certain medications to begin with? His response, I really wish I had an answer for you, I do not know...would you write a note for someone? That opened another 20 min conversation.

What am I getting at? The state is OBVIOUSLY profiling people based on certain medications they take, regardless of circumstances behind their use. I cannot say for sure anti-depressants are red flags, however, he took the conversation in that direction as we spoke more (which makes you think). I asked if he had a copy of the list and he said he does not and that he has no say in the approval process. I DO NOT encourage/promote ANYONE to lie about the medications they are taking. Be honest, and we will all see what happens and what the end result will be. I would like to know if anyone else was asked a similar question and if you answered the question, "yes", what was the conversation that followed, if any. PLEASE DO NOT feel you need to divulge the medicines you are on, that is b/t you are your doc. I posted mine because people might wonder why I cared so much in the first place.

Side Notes: Officer V was a real nice guy, very easy to converse with. I confirmed he verified all my references the day prior. He was very perplexed to hear that some of my friends had phone interviews and even asked me if I knew the troopers names by any chance. Whether intentionally or unintentionally, he seemed to play down and/or "not know" much about the recent Woollard ruling.

On that note, let's see what else everyone was asked and please specify if you were interviewed over the phone, in-person, barrack #, and the officer's name if you wish. He said the process is standard across the board but judging from what I have read thus far, that does not seem to be the case.

In your opinion, do you think he asked for the doc's note because of drugs like Prozac, or do you think he would have still asked you to get the doc's note if you were on drugs like blood pressure meds?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I have had some recent developments in my permit app. My application has been kicked back to the trooper doing my investigation twice now over the same issue.

I had a crazy ex GF that got a protective order against me 10 years ago. I was up front and honest during the initial interview, providing case numbers and everything. The first time they kicked it back, they wanted more documentation which I provided and they also wanted to know If I knew how to get in touch with her. I told them I didnt but I knew she was a convicted felon so I suggested they look her up in NCIC database. The second time my application was kicked back, they wanted to recount everything about the incident surrounding the exparte order and talk to my mother. They are digging pretty deep, since the trooper told my mother he was aware that 6 years ago this ex GF of mine tried to use my moms identity to get a loan (I never told him this because it didnt concern me, just my mother)

I dont know if this is a good or bad thing. If we get the stay lifted I fully expect a permit. I filed with a G&S reason along with "ALL Lawful Purposes". But what I dont understand is why are they digging so deep with my application? Has anyone else had them dig this deep? The trooper has called me probably 4 times in the last 2 weeks. Im just wondering if they are trying to cover all the bases or they are just having that much trouble finding a reason to deny my permit if we get the stay lifted.

I do not think it hurt you by not talking about what she did to your mom, but I do think it could have helped you if you did let them know about this because it supports the idea that your GF is this type of person that would stop at nothing and that maybe the fact that she got the protective order against you was more then likely her BS using the system just because she could and not because you were a kook.

People in general, to include the MSP develop an idea who we are based on who we associate with. I'm sure as they try to figure our who you are they are asking themselves what kind of person would associate with a women like this. Now during their investigation they may find that your past is full of straight shooters that do not get into any trouble and this GF was just a bump in your road that maybe you did not know what you were getting yourself into at the start of your relationship with her.

But that's what they are looking for. Are you a good guy that just made a bad call with this one person? or are most of the people you associate with also like this.

For example, if EVERYONE I associated with were convicted felon's even thou I was not one, the MSP, (and everyone else for that matter) would think that I'm very much like them or I would not want to associate with the.

But it sounds like you got mixed up with a kook/criminal in one of the "What the hell was I thinking" moments, and got away from her when your learned who she was.

The MSP are just looking for the puzzle pieces that make up the true picture that is you. If I were you I would consider all of their questions a very good thing because it is very easy for them to turn you down. The fact that they are asking the question shows me they would not want to turn down unless their is a good reason to and they are giving you the benefit of doubt.

Last edited:

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    In your opinion, do you think he asked for the doc's note because of drugs like Prozac, or do you think he would have still asked you to get the doc's note if you were on drugs like blood pressure meds?

I was asked about my prescription medications. I told him Nexium and blood pressure med, but I cannot think of the name of it. He said the name was not important. As soon as I left the interview, it dawned on me that I also use a prescription nasal spray. I called the trooper a.s.a.p. I apoligized for my mistake. He said "no big deal, we are only concerned about drugs which could affect your judgement and ability to carry. I still feel better about calling him back. I am sure they will check my medical records and I don't want to appear to be lying or hiding something. I was not asked for a doctors note.

Mj45

Feb 4, 2013
    For those who replied in this thread as having been interviewed...did anyone get lucky and get approved? If so, how long did it take from the interview to receiving the permit?

Ving

Feb 27, 2013
    Anne Arundel
    That's a ridiculous requirment to put on a physician and I understand why no doc would want to do it. It's a lame excuse MSP can use to deny/delay issuing a permit while deflecting blame.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    The last post is more then 8.5 years old… what’s the latest…
    I wonder how many of these posts did people get approved?

Not as many in 2012-2013 as are being approved today would be a fair guess, likely due to some of the standards that changed for unrestricted permits around business ownership as a G&S reason.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Mine was a phone interview when i first applied for a permit . My wife was questioned on the same day for her permit we are in the same office . (2013 timeframe)

questions consist of; do you batter your wife , are you a drunkard , what kind of gun will you carry , what kind of money do you deal with (2013 era)

All renewals are fairly clean and you will never talk to them again unless they need additional information on renewals. And that is done via email in my case. My first permit arrived on my birthday and arrived faster then the renewals do at this point.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Something tells me the interviews may be a thing of the past pretty soon........

I wouldn't count on it. Even if MD is forced to go "Shall Issue", you can bet MDGA will make the process into a form of punishment, even if the outcome for the non-prohibited defaults to "Not Denied".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom