• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    For the Ruger fans ;) Pictures are HUGE so dont complain.

About 5/16" of gap from the bullet tip to the plastic of the mag liner
    XOAO95S.jpg

Same picture taken with one cartridge full aft and the other full forward.
    PDi0yFZ.jpg

Magazine in the normal position. The top edge of the metal portion of the mag to the vertical wall before the feed ramp starts is about .060
    T7V47ss.jpg

Same picture taken with the magazine in the downward position, like say if your hand was grasping the fore-end and came back to contact the mag. About .190 down or about .125 more vertical wall exposed. The truncated cone of the FMJ cartridge is not forgiving. Even the soft point super X's did it to some degree.
    NEsRYOT.jpg

At this point the cartridge is free of the mag feed lips but not yet starting into the chamber, its free to flop around and this is where the bolt has about a 50% success rate with catching the cartridge and sending it forward. If it falls to one side or the other it will just jam up.

YtRa5vF.jpg

RROjHs1.jpg

PjTdi31.jpg

Here is a .308, the tip of the bullet is well into the chamber by the time the back end is free of the mag feed lips.

rkDp3Zy.jpg

Same picture taken with .350, the tip of the bullet is just short of the chamber before the back end is free of the mag feed lips.
    3RqROX6.jpg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I would start looking at the fit of the extractor as the cartridge begins its break over from the mag to the ramp.
    The case looks like it has a slightly unusual extractor groove with a long taper.
    On a controlled feed gun, the claw should be capturing the extractor groove when the cartridge is about a little more than halfway out of the magazine and the head of the case is about a third of the way up to final position of the bolt faceas it travels forward.

I wonder if you could see by eye a significant difference in the way the bottom of the claw is formed between the two cartridges?
    What I mean is one strictly for a 308 and the other the 350 case with the different extractor groove. How is the front of the claw beveled to not interfere with the taper of the extractor groove or is it just flat?

The front face of the claw and the bottom portion should also be slightly relieved/beveled not like a half circle but more like an oblong affair that allows it to snap over the rim when ones in the pipe and in a way that allows a portion of the rim to get in front of the bolt face with a portion of the diameter of the rim sort of under/into it.
    For the most part anyhow.

The claw should be over the rim before the top half of the case out of the control of the magwell sides or feed rails on the sides of the reciever.
    Maybe you have a 308 extractor that got mixed up or something as well.

Just food for thought/observation

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    On a controlled feed gun, the claw should be capturing the extractor groove when the cartridge is about a little more than halfway out of the magazine and the head of the case is about a third of the way up to final position of the bolt face as it travels forward.

Agreed. Got out my VZ and worked it several times. The Ruger is not doing that at all. It looks like ruger is using the same bolt as a .308 but with the smaller diameter .350 case its not sticking up high enough for the extractor to start hooking on it before its been pushed free from the magazine and at that point the back of the cartridge drops down and everything goes to hell from there.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Its hard to explain in words but you can sort of see it as it's happening.
    In one of the pictures, I can see one of the cartridges popped up and that can be due to the rim not being able to slide under the extractor as easily as it could.
    The cartridge base appears to be being forced downwards letting the front squirrel upwards on you.

If its a relatively new gun I would consider sending it back before working on it myself.
    I know that sucks this close to deer season but more than likely they will get it right Ruger produces good stuff.
    Maybe even you could get them to send you a new extractor if you send the old one back to them first or just get another extractor and take care of business.
    Or......maybe someone near you has a bolt you can try to see if it helps before deciding.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Anyone in St Marys have the .308 or .223 version ? I'd love to see both and compare all three.

I'll supply a box of .308 and/or .223 if anyone wants to take me up on the offer.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Dropped it off w/selling FFL. Very busy in the shop so no time to look but describing the situation and I had a magazine out and he agreed with my opinion about the magazine and all the things not right about it. :fingerscrossed:

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    And here we are almost 18 months later... I did not take any before pictures of the bolt face but it would appear that Ruger reworked the face of the bolt, there is definitely metal removed and the extractor looks different. Test feeding 3 different cartridges, the FMJ, soft point and deer season XP all three feed ok now. The magazine catch spring I would swear is also stiffer ?? before the magazine would rattle around like loose change in your pocket.

Going back to the relationship of the bolt travel and catching the cartridge lip before fully exiting the magazine, it almost does but I'll still say the magazine is a compromised design that really should have been redone to support the shorter cartridge.

Find out tomorrow if they got it right this time..

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    It worked.

Not a true C-R-F but still better than a push feed. For a grab and run out the door never to return type rifle the VZ would still get the honor, this one would get a close second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom